Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Caramel, Mushrooms, Vegetables
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by pkmnnerdfighter
Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 5 g 11 oz / 325 ml

3 Images

From Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms

Kyobancha is unique to the Kyoto region from which it gets the “Kyo” in its name. Harvested from leaves that have matured over the winter months it is considered the very last tea of the year. The leaves are roasted, producing a comforting and woody flavour. Kyobancha is a virtually caffeine-free tea that is light, refreshing and very easy to drink.

Taste: Sweet
Body: Light
Origin: Wazuka
Cultivation: Unshaded
Processing: Steamed, Rolled, Dried, Roasted

About Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms View company

Smells a lot like Hojicha – roasted! Yum!
It has the brown roasted leaves instead of the twigs, tho, that is the major different to the eye. It is more gentle that I thought it would be but I like this mellow flavor on the tongue. Springy! Gently Roasted! A near Steamed rice/veggie type flavor, even. With a sweeter finish! Lovely!

Starting to think I’ve ruined my palate, even though it has been hours and I’ve had plenty of other beverages between trying the Hojicha Dark Roast and this Kyobancha. I still taste something mushroomy.

There is a light sweetness to it; not nearly as toasty as I would expect from a roasted green. Definitely vegetable notes.

The liquor is a nice burnt orange colour; the broad dry leaves were beautiful to look upon. It’s smooth to drink.

Flavors: Caramel, Mushrooms, Vegetables

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Reading the tasting notes lately from Lion has made me remember the remaining teas I need to try from my Obubu sampler. The package this tea came in says: Kyou Bancha but I’m assuming this is the same tea as Kyobancha, even though the spelling is different.

Leaves in the package are very brown and roasty-smelling. Bancha are older, late harvest tea leaves and this is the roasted form of them, I guess? Good to know this tea has almost no caffeine because I probably don’t need any more today.

I’m not sure how long this was steaming for exactly (it was at least 4 minutes), but I don’t think you can really oversteep this kind of tea too easily. My cup is a dark orange and the flavor is very mild, with slight roasted, woodsy notes. I’m not getting a lot of flavor out of this one. It’s similar to a hojicha but a lot more boring, lol. I will finish the pot of tea i made but I can’t see any reason to buy this. I think I’d just rather have hojicha.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML