Edit tea info Last updated by adagio breeze

From Lahloo Tea

“Sweet and complex, with brown sugar notes and a clean, mouth-filing strength and richness”

Hot apple pie is one comforting image evoked by this sweet and complex rare Kenyan tea from the foothills of Mount Kenya. Think caramelised baked apples with a sprinkling of brown sugar. Strong and rich with a clean, mouth-filling strength and richness.

How to enjoy: 1 heaped tsp/cup, 95C, 3 minutes.

About Lahloo Tea View company

Thank you adagio breeze for this tea.

This tea is light, sweet, malty and smooth. One of the more delicate black teas that I have tried and very much on the sweeter honeyed side. The sort of black tea that does not require milk or sugar to be a pleasant drink.

Most days this would not appeal to me as I love strong black teas but on days like today where I long after greens and whites it’s a nice in between drink.

With all the brown sugar and caramelized baked apple references in the flavor description, I figured this would be a great choice for a sweet-tooth like myself. Much to my dismay, I found it disappointingly unremarkable.

The scent from the tin is faintly mineral; while steeping it barely smells any different from a steaming cup of plain hot water, though some sweet notes are perceptible after a few minutes. The taste… it unfortunately doesn’t taste of much. There’s a pleasant bitter edge and a deep brown color to remind me that I did in fact put leaves in the cup, but not much else. I added sugar 1/4 tsp at a time to see if it helped bring out the flavor (it didn’t really). Toward the end of the cup I poured in a tiny dash of soymilk to see if that would help, but it only seemed to cover up whatever little flavor was there. The aftertaste is quite nice, but I really wish there were more to this tea than that.

I’ll give this tea another go, since I’m probably still not up to snuff on my tasting or loose tea making abilities. I have about 48 grams of this stuff left, so if anyone wants to try it, let me know.