Blue of London

Edit tea info Last updated by Le Palais des Thés

• “Sipdown, 171. Sending the rest of this off in a swap! First off, argh beaurocracy. I'm glad that NSF decided not to tell me when the annual report for my grant was due, but rather just inform...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1938 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the morning here, I am not such a fan of Earl Grey or Bergamot in things but I had some of this sample left and decided to finish it off this morning. See previous notes for more info. ;)” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2353 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: This is a really good Earl Grey. I like that it has a Yunnan Base. The bergamot is a bit more subdued than in a typical Earl Grey, I like the subtle approach here, and I like that...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4366 tasting notes
  • “*Tea #32 from Another Traveling Tea Box* Now here's an Earl Grey I can get behind. Probably because it's a rather subdued, almost sophisticated tasting EG. The more delicate approach to the...” Read full tasting note
    moraiwe 616 tasting notes

From Le Palais des Thes

Earl Grey has been a great English classic ever since Charles Grey, 2nd Earl of Falloden and Foreign Secretary went on to become Prime Minister in 1830. For saving the life of the Chinese Mandarin, he received in gratitude a specially scented tea flavoured with oil of bergamot.

Yunnan is one of the best black teas in the world and with a fresh and delicate bergamot from Calabria, it gives a particularly fine and well balanced blend. An exceptional Earl Grey.

About Le Palais des Thes View company

Oooo… now that I’ve had this twice more I can say with certainty that I like it quite a bit. It’s a thick, leathery, masculine Earl that still smells very feminine. The bergamot is really bold and strong. Mom noticed right away today that it also smells of roses when dry in the tin. I hadn’t picked that out before but yeah – really, really rosy. In scent only, though. In taste, this is pure bergamot with that thick, mildly malty Yunnan base.

And having tried this with 3 different preparation methods I now know how I like it. My first time was here at home with tap water. Just kind of meh and somewhat disappointing. Second time was at work with filtered water. Okay, but still underwhelming – I have since discovered that my hot water at work isn’t really hot enough for most of the teas I drink at only 150F!

This time I made it here at home with boiling spring water. That’s more like it. I no longer feel like I wasted my money buying a tin of this. :)

Boiling 2 min, 45 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
Ysaurella

that sounds great

(I must admit that my senses are too dull to offer the appreciation this tea deserves. But I will try myself. And hopefully I will get better. ✍ )

The smell of this tea was intriguing – not so strong that you’d want to cover your ears with a pillow and cry “5 more minutes please” yet with a tint of citrus flavor just perky enough to lure you out of a drowsy dream. The taste is light, gentle and fresh but the best part comes after you swallow the tea and then slowly breathe out – as the air flows through me, it reminds me of a warm breeze through a forest in early Fall – traversing the light brown and crispy leaves, carrying the sweet reminiscence of the summer flowers, as if they had never faded away.

I never knew waking up in the morning could be so gently cleansing and delightful.

Be sure to steep this tea at the proper temperature. Its silky and smooth, while having some astringency, and a hint of bergamot. A robustly caffienated tea for the morning, it will wake you up!

C’est un thé équilibré que j’apprécie plus que le green of london où la bergamote est plus présente. Ici, la bergamote n’écrase pas les notes du thé noir du Yunnan.
Je le prépare à 2g/10cl, 85°C, et je l’infuse au moins 2 fois pendant 3min. C’est mon préféré parmi les earl grey

This is a tea I like against my own choice.

The tea gives off a strong perfume smell, but it doesn’t have a strong perfume, flowery taste. But the aftertaste on the other hand, has a high perfume taste.

I just can’t agree with myself, do I like the perfume taste or not? It’s a tea that wakes me up (and the taste buds). It’s ideal as a lunch/day tea.

It’s a tea I sometimes choose because it’s strong in taste and so unlike other earl grey tea.

I recommend this tea – or do I? It’s an interesting tea, and it will wake you up. But it’s really the first time I have ever labeled a tea interesting. And it is – I find this tea interesting.