Fleur de Geisha

Green Tea
Cherry, Green Tea
Artificial, Cherry, Floral, Powdered sugar, Fruit Tree Flowers, Grass, Green Beans, Flowers
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “I brewed this tea "blindly" - that is to say, I simply grabbed the tin (from the gift set) knowing only that it was a green tea, but not what flavor it was. When I smelled the dry leaf, I knew it...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4637 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown, 155. Cold brew. I actually have a little bit of this left, but I have no desire to drink the rest of it and it's not really enough to swap. Cold brewed, this tea was overly perfumy and...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2031 tasting notes
  • “Another flavored green from my Palias de Thes gift set... I steeped this at 3 minutes at 170 F and found it to be quite unremarkable so it will be hard for me to review this one. :) The base of...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2580 tasting notes
  • “This is the oddest tea. I brewed it hot - it was quite unimpressive. Good enough green flavor, didn't get much cherry. Maybe it shows how unremarkable it was, that I didn't finish the cup, leaving...” Read full tasting note
    ssajami 138 tasting notes

From Le Palais des Thes

Inspired by the Japanese Hanami tradition of viewing cherry trees in blossom, Fleur de Geisha is a refined combination of Japanese green tea, delicately flavoured with cherry blossom.

About Le Palais des Thes View company

I brewed up a pot of this to have with a friend over breakfast yesterday. I first had this tea when living in Strasbourg, France, and still had an unopened package that I brought back then. I love the wonderful cherry blossom flavor of this tea, and get cravings for it now and again. I agree with others that it is better slightly cooled, as the cherry blossom flavor comes out more. The real key, however, is to carefully observe that you’re making it at proper green tea temperature (i.e. not boiling) and the flavor should still be prominent to taste. Otherwise, the green tea becomes too bitter and overpowers the cherry blossom taste. This tea is so sweet all on its own that I rarely add sweetener.

Continuing on with trying my older tea samples! This one came from a swap with Sara. Honestly, I’m not sure why I asked for this one, it doesn’t seem like something I would like. Oh well! It appears to be just green tea leaves and flavoring, nothing else added in. Dry scent is very stange and powdery in a candy way, like Smarties or something. Maybe a touch of floral as well.

The steeped tea smells somewhat sweet and candy-like with a light floral overtone. This has a strange powdery cherry taste that reminds me of chewing flavored Tums. Disappointing since I actually like the delicate floral note that’s also present, but rather overpowered. The green base is mild and unobtrusive. I think I would quite like this if it weren’t for the Tums aspect.

Flavors: Artificial, Cherry, Floral, Powdered sugar

This was pleasant enough, but I can’t say the flavor was unique for me to want to return to it or crave it. It seemed like a fairly basic green tea, which is a bit disappointing for Le Palais des Thes. Still it was fine enough for the one cup. I’m glad it came in a sample pack though, rather than me having a whole supply of it.

Queued post, written May 21st 2014

Another green tea for Green Tea Day. Apparently it’s not only Green Tea Day, it’s also Ancient Tea Day because this one came from Auggy and it’s even older than the other two. Well. By a couple of months but even so. Still older. In my defence she sent me a few of these and I’ve only got one left. I just haven’t written about it until now.

Smells lovely of green tea and cherry. A very fruity juicy sort of cherry. The sort that I hope some of all the myriads of cherry trees in our garden will produce. (Little hope there, though. Husband’s father thinks it’s a decorative sort of cherry, not an edible one. And he’s worked with plants in some way or another, both at his job and in his garden, for 40 years, so he should know. Still. When there is fruit, I will test it the best way I know how. By biting one.) It strikes me that red fruits generally go quite well with green tea. I think a 4 red fruits blend on a green base might be rather lovely, but I expect that already exists somewhere out there.

The flavour is very floral, reminding me that this is scented with cherry blossoms, not flavoured with cherry. Isn’t it funny though how the flowers sort of smell like the fruit? The green tea is fairly strong compared to the other two I’ve had today, and it’s got a smidge of bitterness to it. No, not bitterness… But a note that tells me that if brewed hotter or longer, it very likely would turn undrinkable. It’s borderline. At the point where it is now, though, it lends body and strength and is quite enjoyable.

With the memory of another sakura-style green tea fresh in my mind, I decided to go ahead and try Palais des Thés Fleur de Geisha. This is also a Japanese style green-tea base (theirs appears to be from Japan), but the flavoring is somewhat more floral and less intensely fruity.

The liquor is pale greenish gold and the taste is rather more harmonious than I’ve come to expect from cherry-scented teas. According to the description, cherry blossoms, not cherry essence are used to flavor this tea, so that must make the difference.

I’m looking forward to trying a second infusion of the spent sachet (which plumped up quite a lot) later on tonight.

(Blazing New Rating #59)

Flavors: Fruit Tree Flowers

160 °F / 71 °C 2 min, 30 sec 2 g 9 OZ / 266 ML

I brewed this without knowing what it was supposed to taste like—I probably could have guessed from the name, but I basically went for it based on the knowledge that it was a floral green. Hot, it’s lightly grassy with a strong cherry smell and a floral aftertaste. There’s a hint of fruit to it but not much, and there are some sweet vegetal notes too. Overall it’s very light, although that might be the way I brewed it. It’s nice, and could even be described as sugary. I’m going to let the second cup cool down (I made a small pot) and drink it that way; once I have I’ll edit to add my comments.

ETA: Cold this isn’t much different, but it’s enough that it’s worth commenting on. There are more sweet vegetable notes like green beans and the cherry is more prominent. I think I slightly prefer it hot but it’s good both ways.

Flavors: Fruit Tree Flowers, Grass, Green Beans

I got a sample that I cold brewed. So. Perfumed. My boyfriend liked it pretty well, but he doesn’t like much tea. I just hated how overwhelmingly scented it was.

Flavors: Flowers

Iced 8 min or more

The floral scent of the tea (before steeping) instantly reminded me of the glacé apricot snacks I had in China, but more pleasantly delicate and subtle – turned out it was cherry blossom instead of apricot. (a quick wikipedia search showed both are part of the Prunus family – I don’t know the scent of cherry blossom well enough to identify it so apricot was a wild guess that coincidentally landed near the target…?) As its name suggests, the tea pays proper respect to the Japanese culture where luscious and bold expressions are considered disgraceful for women whereas silence and obedience are celebrated virtues.

This tea is great for meditation in solitude – the taste is so light you almost don’t realize its presence. But you will definitely notice its absence because you’d miss the fragrance from the back of your throat every time you breathe out – it brings forth the unique freshness from blooming plants (not merely the simple pink sweetness you get from flowers, but with more exuberance – like bamboos growing after a night of rain) – I can’t quite describe freshness as a flavor but I guess it would just be like the way water is not tasteless and sunshine is not colorless.

Perhaps my least favorite of all the teas made by this company. The cherry scent of this tea is so dominant that the green tea underneath it, gets nearly entirely lost. I find it like the ‘cherry coke’ of green teas. TOO MUCH CHERRY. Then again, if you’re a huge fan of cherry coke, this tea might be for you.

I liked the rather fine taste of the green tea. I noticed it was very important to limit the brewing strictly under 3 mns, as the tea turned bitter quickly otherwise.
It’s definitely not a breakfast tea according to my taste.
The cherry blossom flavor was nice, though on the long run I got weary about it : too strong, a bit too artificial. I personally did not relish the taste of this tea once it turned cold and tried each time to drink my teapot as soon as possible.
I honestly had some difficulty to finish the second-half of the 100 g pack I had bought and will not buy it again, hence my average rating.