Thé des Alizés

Fruit Green Blend
Fruity, Grass, Marine, Peach, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by cteresa

From Le Palais des Thes

A green tea enlivened by flower petals and delicately scented with pieces of white peach, kiwi and watermelon. The green tea and the juicy freshness of the fruit are wonderfully balanced. Delicious hot or iced.

STEEP TIME

167°F / 75°C

TIME OF DAY
Anytime

About Le Palais des Thes View company

The loose leaves smell like a weird jolly rancher candy with chocolate. All sorts of candy like fruits with that mocha undertone.
The chocolate notes really came out after brewing. The (phantom) chocolate scent is foremost but underneath is something interesting. It is sweet and fruity but earthy and a little wrong smelling – I think it’s a strawberry scent. I like it, it’s a little musky and wild.
I really don’t care for the taste of this. It was bitter from the fruit (I brewed it at 165 for 3 minutes rather than 4) and just not my cuppa. At least it didn’t taste like a jolly rancher…

thank you momo! Another sample! Fruit is one of my favorite things, so of course I love fruity teas. The few cups sample here didn’t look like it had many flowers OR fruit chunks, so I would imagine that would affect the flavor. I steeped for three minutes after letting the water cool way down. It’s good! A nice fresh flavor. I think I can smell peach more than I can taste it. And the kiwi and watermelon seem a bit hidden to me. But the green tea base makes up for it. I had another cup a few weeks ago where either the water was too hot or I steeped too long and the flavor was bitter. The fruit flavor wasn’t any different this time around. I’m glad I waited until I brewed it the correct way to write a review though!

This tea has had me stumped for weeks now. When I reach into the tea cupboard, I make a beeline for any tea that isn’t thé des alizés, because I just don’t understand it. I think half of the leap for me has been looking up what ‘alizés’ means – ‘winds’ – because while I was expecting this big, summery, jammy kind of fruitiness, this is airy and distant, almost cold, and this is the thing: if I blind-tasted it, I would have no idea what flavour it’s meant to be. I’m going to need more time to think about this one.

This has a very nice green tea base- grassy and light. Peach is the primary fruit flavor. The watermelon is very mild and I can’t taste the kiwi. There is a floral smell and taste that I can’t place. No bitter aftertaste and only slight dry mouth feeling. I think the fruit taste might be better if I made this cold.

I love how the sampler came with the teas in metal test tubes. Perfect for making me feel all sicientific right before watching “Fringe”. :-)

This tea smells phenomenal! The reason I bought it was because I got to smell some of the dry leaf in the store. It has a smell that promises a sweet fruity flavor once brewed. Unfortunately I personally feel that the smell remains once brewed but that the flavor isn’t quite as strong as I was expecting. To me it tastes like green tea that has a little bit of something else, but I can’t pin the other flavor because it is so subtle. Maybe it’s the watermelon, since I personally don’t think watermelon has much flavor in general. I liked the tea though, especially the smell, I just can’t claim it tastes like much other than a light green tea.

Fruity green tea.
I tried it hot and cold, both were good.

This was quite a nice green blend, despite the fact that I really didn’t take good care of it (it lived in a plastic baggie…). The peach notes really came out quite nicely. Didn’t get much watermelon, but perhaps the juicy nature of the overall flavor could be attributed to it. :) This tea definitely was juicy, without tasting too fruity. The green tea was smooth and vegetal, like asparagus, but no bitterness. I really enjoyed it!

This tea came from my swap with Sara. She was kind enough to send me samples of several French teas including Palais des Thés and Mariage Frères. For some reason, Palais des Thés seems to have escaped my attention up to this point, not sure why that is! But after looking through their flavored teas, I want to try them all. This one is flat-steamed green tea leaves with lovely curled cream-colored flower petals mixed in for dramatic effect. Dry scent is sweet peaches with a touch of floral. I steeped a teaspoon of leaf for 3 minutes at 175 degrees. I think next time, I may use a bit more leaf for this one.

After steeping, this has a lovely mouthwatering sweet peach aroma. Yums. Peach is also the main flavor in the taste, and it’s a lovely juicy peach, perhaps with a slight candylike edge. Overall I’m finding this tea a bit mild, though I think I may have not used enough leaf. Curiously enough, the peach flavor seems to grow in intensity, even after I’ve swallowed. It lingers on my tongue in a pleasant way. I think I can also taste a bit of kiwi here, it manifest as a sort of tart and juicy fruity quality. The green tea itself is super mild, but I do catch a bit of grassiness and a subtle marine quality. Lovely!

Flavors: Fruity, Grass, Marine, Peach, Sweet

Sara

Oh I’m so glad it’s already arrived! Hoping to see yours in my mailbox when I check today. :D

Some mornings I am so productive, and thus far, this is one of those mornings.

I’ve decided I’m going to get through all my swap samples, as well as any 1-2 cup sipdowns in my cupboard before we leave on Saturday. This tea was the beginning (I also brewed up a SBT and stuck it in the fridge and the last of my French Butter Cookie matcha is in the fridge too). It looks as though I have about 15 to get through, give 1-2 teas that have maybe 3 cups but I’ve filed them away to finish off as well.

This tea is quite tasty. It seems I’ve come to a green tea phase, which is great. Some green teas are just awesome, especially for the warmer weather and lighter mornings. Not straight greens, but delicately flavoured greens. This one has a subtle floral aspect that I can taste, but it isn’t overwhelming, and therefore not offensive. There is also a light fruitiness here, but I’m not able to differentiate the fruits. The green base is buttery and light. Overall a tasty tea for this productive morning.

Thanks KittyLovesTea!

On paper, this seems right up my alley. I remember smelling it in the Tel Aviv Palais des Thés last summer, too, and I liked it a lot. I know Palais get a lot of flak in terms of quality and pricing, but there’s something about their flavoured teas that really does it for me. They go down so smoothly, and they have this fresh, clean lightness to them that makes me think of the nights we spent watching the sea during that holiday we needed so badly.

Obviously, that’s my mnemonic illusion and no one else’s, but if my brain wants to play games with me and said games make me enjoy a tea others don’t – so be it. But don’t get any ideas, brain. I’m watching you.

There’s a very light kiwi here, and, I think, a bit of peach. Then there’s also the unmistakeable PdT vanilla, which has been growing on me ever so slowly. It’s not exuberant Lupicia vanilla, of course, but a very nice, subtle, warm vanilla.

I enjoy this tea very much, I want to buy it (Hey T. – heard you moved to Oslo, you know, where there IS A PdT STORE. Also I love you. Thanks. Kbye.) and keep it in my cupboard.

Thanks for sharing, KittyLovesTea!

[Sample from the second round of the EU Travelling Box, spring 2014.]

NofarS

Anna, I live in Tel Aviv, right next to the PdT shop. I could buy you some of this tea and send it to you, if you’d like. Message me if you’re interested.