Montagne Bleue

Edit tea info Last updated by Tapiridae

• “Gosh, Steepsterites! It feels like it's been ages, eons and decades since I last inflicted my presence upon your unfortunate and super-humanly patient souls! There's just been so much recently, you...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1256 tasting notes
  • “I received a sample of this from *Hallieod*. Thank you so much!!! I've LOVED everything Hallieod sent me, she did an amazing job sending me teas that totally suited my tastes. I've been avoiding...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 692 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown (182/188)! New tea from a new company, so thank you *VariaTEA* and by extension *Dustin*! I wasn't sure what was in this when I steeped it up; I just knew it was an easy sipdown so I took...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1684 tasting notes
  • “Thank you *Dustin* for the opportunity to try this tea. When I looked at it, I half anticipated an EG but what I am getting is a hint of rhubarb followed by honey coated lavender. It is nice enough...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1829 tasting notes

From Le Palais des Thes

A delicious blend of black tea, honey, lavender, blueberry, strawberry and rhubarb.

About Le Palais des Thes View company

Gosh, Steepsterites! It feels like it’s been ages, eons and decades since I last inflicted my presence upon your unfortunate and super-humanly patient souls! There’s just been so much recently, you know? We were away over the weekend so I’m really in need of a bit of a breather. A 9yo birthday. Four children and fourteen adults in one lounge for a whole afternoon. Gosh! O.o (Nothing wrong with my family at all, mind. It’s just such a lot of people)

So I thought it was definitely time to sit down and get a proper post together and relax a bit before making my shopping list and getting some groceries in. This is one I got from Ssajami, and I was quite excited about it from the moment I took it out of the box. The description of it on the pouch sounds right up my alley!

The aroma has a quite strong note to it, which I think is a mixture of the honey and the flowers, although depending on what sort of flowers honey is made of it can have very different smells as well. I can’t really find the fruit very well in the aroma. Perhaps a tang of rhubarb, but primarily it’s honey. Thick and rich and viscous.

The flowers give it a rather strong floral flavour as well, which disappointed me a bit. I was looking for something rather more fruity and this is borderline verging on slight bitterness instead. I’m not sure what sort of black tea is at the base here, but I suspect that like most other flavoured teas where this is isn’t specified, it’s probably a Ceylon. I should have liked to have had it on a Chinese base instead, to put that astringency-going-on-bitterness out of the picture. Oh well.

That particular disappointment aside, it’s a quite nice tea. Once I know what to expect from it, I find the floralness less of a problem, and I have no problem locating fruity flavours underneath. Mainly straw- and blueberry, not so much rhubarb. I suspect the rhubarb here, being in itself rather astringent, is hiding in that nearly-bitter astringency of the black tea.

I did however make it with boiling water although Le Palais des Thes recommend slightly below boiling because I only discovered that when it was too late, and it did possibly get a bit of an extra long steep because I was too lazy to change the timer. I still have enough leaf to try again and we’ll see then if that makes a huge difference. I expect it will definitely eliminate some of that astringency there.

As it is, however, I’m quite pleased with what I got out of it this time too.

ssajami

Last time I was in the Palais des Thes shop, I inquired about the black base and was told that most of their flavored/blended teas are Keemun. However, they did not say ALL the teas, and so I’m not sure about this particular one. I think I agree with you that it probably Ceylon.

Angrboda

I’ve taken to assuming it is unless told otherwise.

Good job on pointing this shop out to me, though. I think I’ll try out some more of their things the next time I buy tea.

I received a sample of this from Hallieod. Thank you so much!!! I’ve LOVED everything Hallieod sent me, she did an amazing job sending me teas that totally suited my tastes. I’ve been avoiding this one. Didn’t want to break that streak. I was afraid of the lavender. Black tea with strawberry and rhubarb should be right up my alley. I don’t do so well with the florals.
She’s been right with everything else, so I hot brewed some of this last night. I’ll admit it – I took one sip and my initial reaction was, nope I don’t like this one. I left it on the counter to cool, and then popped it into the fridge. Shrug, sometimes they are better as iced tea.
So, now I’m home from work – opened the fridge, and tried the tea. It is MUCH better cold.
I’m not getting a lot of fruit – just a hint way in the back. I’m getting the black tea and I’m getting some floral notes (not sure it’s lavender, but it’s floral). What I am also getting is some….tart, bitter, astringent…something unpleasant. That might be my steeping error. I did steep below boiling as indicated for about 4 min (instructions said 4-5). Not sure. This isn’t incredibly horrible, but it’s not for me. Sorry Halliod, you’ve still done an amazing job with your choices 6/7 with two I haven’t tried yet.

Hallieod

No, no apologising! I’m actually kind of relieved – imagine the pressure if it had been all hits, all the way – would never have been able to send another swap your way in case it didn’t match up. :P And seriously, I’m happy getting to try something as a swap even if I really dislike it, because y’know, we just have to try ALL THE TEAS, right? And can’t order them all, because that would be just ridiculous… (Okay, I slid off the ‘serious’ note there, but I did mean it!)

Dexter

LOL I agree, it’s just as important to find out what you don’t like as it is to know what you do like. Other people often choose things for you that you would not choose for yourself. It’s tons of fun to try those “odd” choice even if they are a miss. :))

Sipdown (182/188)!

New tea from a new company, so thank you VariaTEA and by extension Dustin!

I wasn’t sure what was in this when I steeped it up; I just knew it was an easy sipdown so I took advantage of that. Dry I did get a very floral feel from it though; which I guess would have been the lavender.

Hmm, this is really weird but in an agreeably good way. I don’t usually like lavender in, well, anything; the “exception” is DT’s blend Jessie’s Tea (but that’s because of the coconut). However, paired with the strong strawberry flavour here, and with the black base I think this is jarringly tasty. I’m also really impressed just how present all the listed ingredients are because, like I said, dry I only smelled something generically floral.

And I have to point out that this is another blueberry tea that I really enjoy; that seems to, as of late, be a surprisingly reoccurring thing what with my aversion to almost all things blueberry flavoured in general…

I don’t even know where or how I’d go about getting a hold of more of this; but I’d maybe like to do so; it’s really, really good! I don’t think the one cup is going to be enough to keep me happy…

VariaTEA

Yay! I am glad you liked it so much. I thought it was very pleasant but wasn’t in love so I thought you might like to try.

Thank you Dustin for the opportunity to try this tea. When I looked at it, I half anticipated an EG but what I am getting is a hint of rhubarb followed by honey coated lavender. It is nice enough but I am just not loving it. It is still fun to try something new though.

When I was in high school, I used to buy bags of tiny Italian hard candies in different fruit flavors—from Trader Joe’s, I think. Google tells me they’re called Puntini. Anyway, I haven’t seen or even thought about them in ages, but this tea tastes exactly the way I remember one of the berry flavors—probably blackberry, and the best one in my opinion—tasting.

The honey is quite prominent as well, and there’s a generic sort of floral undertone to it all that, as an unabashed floral lover, I’m enjoying quite a bit. I don’t get distinct lavender, which is just as well since that can easily veer into soap territory. The tea base (Ceylon, maybe?) comes through nicely despite the strong flavoring. There is a bit of astringency, which is fine by me.

I like this much more than I expected to, given my (admittedly few) past experiences with Palais des Thes—their teas have struck me as passable but lacklustre, with a bad case of the jumbled (or perhaps muddled would be a better descriptor?) flavor thing I just can’t get into with so many French teas. I’m sure the nostalgia blast isn’t hurting, but even aside from that this is a really lovely blend for those who like florals and don’t mind a bit of astringency. I bet it would also be great iced. Thanks for the sample, Dustin—I’m adding this one to my shopping list!

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Dustin

I had totally forgotten about those candies! I used to get them at TJ’s too. They were so small that I’d often eat four at a time and they would get stuck in my teeth as I ate them!
Glad you enjoyed the tea. Now I’m going to have to think of those candies next time I have a cup of this!

greenteafairy

Yes, they always got stuck in my teeth too! I’d forgotten about that part. I’m kind of tempted to order some now, actually. And thanks so much for the sample—I’d kind of written PdT off my shopping list, but this has inspired me to give them another chance.

Dustin

Palais is a hit or miss company for me. I looked at the descriptions of their teas, wrote down what sounded interesting, then went to their shop and sniffed them before buying. There were several that sounded good but didn’t pass the sniff test and I think if I had bought on description alone, I’d have been disappointed.

For those who don’t like a hint of astringency in their morning cup of tea, there is Montagne Bleue. On the nose, this is a mildly floral tea. In the cup, it brews up as a dark caramel liquor that’s laced with a light fruity brightness, and very faint floral flavor (the strawberry and rhubarb show through). Tastes even better with a little honey.

90°C in a big teapot, the taste is either absent or two strong on the dark basis.