Gout Russe 7 Agrumes

Edit tea info Last updated by Tapiridae

• “This is another one from *Auggy* and I have to admit that when I unwrapped this tin, my immediate thought was 'Russian gout?' O.o So that's what it's called in my head now. Russian gout. It...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1311 tasting notes
  • “sipown! thank you *hallieod for sending this along for me to try. I didn't think i'd enjoy this much as there is a strong bergamot flavour to this. However, I'm open to trying things just in...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5360 tasting notes
  • “I love citrus, particularly those in the sweet orange category, though I have a fondness for all citrus types. Thus I simply had to try this tea out. Seven types of citrus! Whee! The smell of...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “I had to review this tea again. Apparently my hubby is trying to fatten me up. I don't know what's his actual plan but he started bringing desserts 3 rd day in a row. Today he went to some...” Read full tasting note
    boychik 417 tasting notes

From Le Palais des Thes

A remarkable blend of black teas scented with the natural essences of lemon, lime, sweet orange, bitter orange, grapefruit, bergamot and mandarin.

About Le Palais des Thes View company

This is another one from Auggy and I have to admit that when I unwrapped this tin, my immediate thought was ‘Russian gout?’ O.o So that’s what it’s called in my head now. Russian gout. It probably has rather a lot to do with the fact that I don’t speak French.

Anyway, it’s a black base flavoured with seven types of citrus fruits, first and foremost among which appears to be bergamot, when going by the aroma. Both the leaves and the steeped cup is heavy on the aroma and then with the other fruits slightly more in the background and just strong enough to make it not a variation on the Earl Grey theme.

When it comes to the flavour it’s evened out a bit more, but I can’t say I can pick out the different fruits individually. It’s all just a mixture of generic citrusness on a black base.

It’s quite pleasant actually, and it reminds me of the Kusmi Russian blend sampler I had once; a combination of Anastasia and Troika I think would produce something quite similar to this. That makes it a rather heavy sort of flavour, where those two Kusmis I remember as being fairly light on the feet. I think I preferred those two respectively over this more lumbering beast. I would have liked to have seen a little more ‘lift’ in this, if you understand what I mean by that. It feels a little to me like there might have been just one ingredient too many in this combination.

Still, though, if what you’re looking for is just something citrus-y without requiring anything more specific than that, then this is a good choice.

Auggy

I, with my love of citrus, was hoping for so much more out of this one. Ah well. At least it isn’t a bad tea.

Angrboda

Yes, it’s a little over-done, isn’t it? I’ve been thinking Kusmi Troika thoughts on and off since having this one though. I may have to see about whether I can get me some of that again…

Auggy

Mmm, I do enjoy Troika. That, I think, is more in line with what I was hoping for with this tea.

Angrboda

I’ve actually put buying more of Troika on my to-do list. Along with the apple flavoured one, which grew on me unexpectedly. Especially when taken half and half with the caramel. Gosh…! :9

sipown! thank you *hallieod for sending this along for me to try. I didn’t think i’d enjoy this much as there is a strong bergamot flavour to this. However, I’m open to trying things just in case! Overall? I wouldn’t ever order this myself but it’s not as iscky to me as i thought it would be. The base is rather smooth and the bergamot is softened by the other citrus fruits in the blend. My only wish? that this was a bit sweeter. There’s a bitterness from the fruits that makes this less pleasant than it could be. Still though…not too shabby :) Thanks Hallieod!

The smell of bergamot is the strongest scent in the dry leaf, but there is a note of lighter sweetness too – the sweet orange, I believe. Post-steeping, it’s a heady mix of citrus. Nothing distinctly stands out; instead it is a sweet, fragrant, dark, silky, exotic scent that smells slightly different on each sniff. Sweetness here, tangy there, a dash of spice. It all kind of swirls together and I’m finding it rather sensual and dizzying. Or maybe the dizziness is coming from the constant sniffing.

The taste doesn’t seem as sparkly as the smell, but it’s nice. I get bergamot on the front end, a flash of bitter orange on the back, a nice clean aftertaste with a bit of… lime peel? and a general citrus flavor (slightly sweet) throughout. It becomes a little sweeter and more floral (from the bergamot, I suspect, though perhaps the grapefruit) as it cools, but it still doesn’t sparkle as much as the scent.

I think the strength of the bergamot in this makes me think Earl Grey-thoughts and I was personally hoping for a bit more sweet orange out of it. But looking at it from an EG perspective, I quite like it.

I had to review this tea again. Apparently my hubby is trying to fatten me up. I don’t know what’s his actual plan but he started bringing desserts 3 rd day in a row.
Today he went to some Italian bakery and got lobster tails, cannolly, apple strudel and rum soaked ( I don’t even know what the actual name) BOMB.
Omg it’s delicious but too much. I was cutting tiny pieces.
Back to the tea. Since I got 100g( the min in a shop) I have to use it. This tea was perfect with pastries. The citrus in tea really complimented these rich sweet pastries.
Everybody enjoyed it including me. Now back to make sure everybody finished their homework.

Nicole

Wow! That all sounds delicious! :)

mrmopar

He got it cause he loves you.

boychik

Nicole, it’s just proved that tea needs second and third chance.

mrmopar, I suspect he is getting sweets because he wants them ;-)

yyz

Well at least he’s bringing them back to share. :-)

boychik

yyz, sure he doesn’t want to gain weight alone, haha. But I forgive him because it was delicious. You know this type of bakery probably like 30-40 yrs in business far from main streets but there is always few people in line. Very reasonable prices.

Sounded awesome, opened the tin expecting a blast of citrus aromas aaaaand……. nope. Their Thes des Lords EG has more citrus smell than this blend. Once brewed, the leaves oooze all sorts of bright citrus aromas, like a truck carrying lemons and grapefruits crashed into a lemon-zest factory, but the tea.. well.. not so much. Not much at all, really.

Funny thing, along with my order I got a few sample tea bags and one of the bags was this very tea. Opened it, and it had a bit stronger scent than the loose leaf in the tin did, but the brewed liquor was pretty much the same.

The saving grace of this tea, and main reason it doesn’t get 21-40 range score, is that YES there is a bit of citrus in there, but the russian blend of blacks is actually quite nice and smooth, and makes an excellent pairing with other teas in blends, especially where a touch of citrus won’t hurt.

Completely misses one target but scores enough points on a completely different one accidentally. Enough so that I might consider ordering a refill pouch eventually if I don’t find better partners for a few blends I’m trying to perfect.