Earliest Green Tea of the Year - Frosty Spring Yunnan Roast Green

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Gingko (manager of Life in Teacup)

• “I've tried this one before and thought I would revisit it. Roasted Green Tea and Veggies from my previous experience still apply but I'm enjoying it much more than a 73 as I rated it before so I'm...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “ok making my last 2.2g at work 12 ounces hot spigot water tempered with a bit of cold fountain water (aiming on 170) 5 min steep tea smell: vegetal, refreshing (springy?) sweet tea taste:...” Read full tasting note
    amazonv 702 tasting notes
  • “I bought this some time ago but am just getting around to trying it now! I don't know what took me so long to actually try it - it is SO GOOD. The sip starts with a nutty taste, and finishes...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4323 tasting notes
  • “I was one of those fortunate to get a free sample of this through Ginkgo's generosity. As I've mentioned before, I don't have a great deal of green tea experience which is one of the reasons I...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 951 tasting notes

From Life In Teacup

Yunnan is where human beings first ever discovered tea and made tea. The subtropical region of Yunnan has a winter warm enough for tea trees to grow, but cold enough to slow down the growing process with frequent frost. After a whole winter of bright sunshine and frosty nights, the spring tea leaves are extremely fresh and flavorful.

Brewing method:
2a. Chinese Green Tea (except for all-bud varieties)

• Vessel: mug, gaiwan, or whatever cup of proper size
  • Water temperature: newly boiled water (around 95 °C or 203 °F)
  • Amount of Leaves: let dry loose leaves cover the mug/cup bottom, but don’t pile up
  • Time: when most leaves sink to the bottom, it’s good to drink
  • Re-steep: when there is 1/3 liquor left in the vessel, add hot water to re-steep. Most Chinese green teas can be infused for at least 3 times.
When using a teapot, leave the lid OFF and steep for 1 minute for each of the first 2 infusions.

2b. Chinese early spring Green Tea with mostly leaf buds

Method (1):

• Vessel: mug or whatever cup of proper size
  • Water temperature: boiled water that has sat aside for 2-5 minutes (around 90 °C or 194 °F)
  • Amount of Leaves: (same as “2a”) let dry loose leaves cover the mug/cup bottom, but don’t pile up
  • Time: (same as “2a”) when most leaves sink to the bottom, it’s good to drink
  • Re-steep: (same as “2a”) when there is 1/3 liquor left in the vessel, add hot water to re-steep. Most Chinese green teas can be infused for at least 3 times.

Method (2):

• Vessel: Gaiwan
  • Water temperature: boiled water that has sat aside for 5-10 minutes (around 80-85 °C or 180 °F)
  • Amount of leaves: (same as “2a”) let dry loose leaves cover the mug/cup bottom, but don’t pile up
  • Time: wait for 1-2 minutes, with the Gaiwan lid OFF. Then use the gaiwan lid to gently wave away any floating leaves, and meantime start drinking SLOWLY.
  • Re-steep: same as “2a”

About Life In Teacup View company

Very unusual tasting green. I drank this first thing in the morning and perhaps my nose was still blocked but it seemed to smell of Turkey dinner. Not in a unpleasant way. Not something I would drink daily but enjoyable.

I love the smokiness of this tea, ever since falling in love with teas from Yunnan, I got this tea as soon as I could get my hands on them. I am happy that I did. Thanks LIT.

The smell of the dry tea is very interesting….slightly smoky (guess that is the roast part of the name) and sweet. I admit that I didn’t read the brewing instructions before diving in, so I may have slightly oversteeped. However, I really like this tea. It definately has the taste quality of a green, but not at all bitter. The initial sip is the roasted part which is so familiar, but I can’t place it. Maybe roasted vegetables…. This tea is good without milk or sweetener, but at the same time is strange. In a good way.

After drinking more of this tea, I realize this just isn’t my cup. I believe I will be passing this on or may retry this on a different day using a shorter steep time. I enjoyed the chance to try this – the more you try, the more you understand what you really like. I’m lowering the previous rating to reflect that this just isn’t for me. It is good, but not what I’m looking for.