Dong Ding Oolong traditional medium roast

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Cait

• “This was quite a pleasant tea! The scent of the dry leaves is nice and roasty. With the first infusion, there was a nice bitterness and astringency. The roasted flavor was particularly strong the...” Read full tasting note
    Dinahsaur 88 tasting notes
  • “I tried this with short steeps, but the resulting tea was barely there (despite turning a beautiful deep golden color almost immediately). So I steeped the third time for two minutes, and what a...” Read full tasting note
    Cait 216 tasting notes
  • “Very dark leaves. They smell too yummy. Like fresh grass plus yummy hot roast chestnuts. Smells like winter. And funny enough today the cold weather has started here. This could easily be the best...” Read full tasting note
    malomorgen 224 tasting notes
  • “I thought this tea had at least two listing. I picked one and went with it. Then realized it was in the wrong place. I'm not OCD but I fixed it anyway. Scouring through my drawer today I stumbled...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1315 tasting notes

From Life In Teacup

Production Year: 2009
Production Season: winter
Production Region: Nantou County, Taiwan
Style: Traditional medium roast

Brewing method for oolong, ball-shaped dry tea leaves
Vessel: gaiwan or small teapot
Water temperature: newly boiled water (above 95 °C or 203 °F)
Amount of leaves: 5 gram for every 120ml total volume (Or reduce the amount to 3 gram for some heavy oxidation and/or heavy roast products)
Warm-up infusion: pour hot water in the vessel, and immediately drain it. Wait for about 1min. before starting the next infusion.
Time for each of the first 3 infusions (after warm-up): 20sec. (Or reduce the infusion time to 10-15sec. for some heavy oxidation and/or heavy roast products)
Extend infusion time based on taste for later infusions. Most oolong tea can well last for at least 5-7 infusions.

About Life In Teacup View company

This was quite a pleasant tea! The scent of the dry leaves is nice and roasty. With the first infusion, there was a nice bitterness and astringency. The roasted flavor was particularly strong the first infusion, enhanced by the bitterness. There were grassy notes, almost like grass that’s been cut and has been sitting and drying for a couple days. Still pleasantly sweet, but mild.

I’ve got enough of this left to try it once more and, depending on how my tastings of the other Dong Ding Oolong samples I ordered from Life in Teacup go, I’ll make a decision about which one to order more of first!

TeaBrat

you might want to try steeping at a lower temp next time. bitterness and astringency, i’ve never seem in a dong ding oolong…

Dinah Saur

I’ll be a little more careful next time. Thanks, Amy. I unfortunately don’t have a precise electric kettle at this time, so I make some estimates on occasion. :P

Dinah Saur

Thinking about it, I probably steeped it for too long. Was a little distracted at the time.

Fail!

TeaBrat

I don’t have an electric kettle either. I did have a thermometer for a while but lost it. ;)

Dinah Saur

I’ve got my eye on this electric kettle that allows you to set a precise temperature. It’s $50, so I have to budget it. But hopefully I’ll have it soon!

ScottTeaMan

If the roasted flavor was too strong on the first steep, a shorter steep time will probably help. :))

TeaBrat

which one are you getting for $50??

Dinah Saur

Uhm… it’s at Target. haha. I can’t remember the brand, but it may be Mr. Coffee or something like that, but there’s a digital display and you can set the temperature you want exactly. I can’t seem to find it on their website, but it’s in my local store and another one I was at somewhere else in CA, too.

ScottTeaMan

I used to think $50 was expensive for an electric kettle, but it’s reasonable, esp when compared to the Breville at $250. And anything less than that in todays prices lacks quality IMO.

Dinah Saur

I definitely agree, Scott. I’ve just got a limited budget and more bills than I can always afford.

The Breville is something in my distant future, I’m figuring! Unless I can make my blog SUPER popular and convince them to send me one for free to write about. Then again, even that would be distant future! ;)

I tried this with short steeps, but the resulting tea was barely there (despite turning a beautiful deep golden color almost immediately). So I steeped the third time for two minutes, and what a change! This tea isn’t sweet, per se, but there’s a hint of burnt sugar around the edges; there’s still not a lot up front, but the back of it hits almost immediately with a savory grilled flavor that just keeps going.

Very dark leaves. They smell too yummy. Like fresh grass plus yummy hot roast chestnuts. Smells like winter. And funny enough today the cold weather has started here. This could easily be the best smelling tea leaves till now.

But lets see how it tastes :)

Tea is bright yellow. Smells similar to the leaves.

Mmmmm first impression is full roast taste. Smooth, nutty, roasty. It didn’t wow me but it’s quite a good one.

I thought this tea had at least two listing. I picked one and went with it. Then realized it was in the wrong place. I’m not OCD but I fixed it anyway.

Scouring through my drawer today I stumbled upon this one. Apologies to Life In Teacup for misplacing it. It’s all good as today was the perfect day to sit with this lovely tea. The leaf pellets are very tiny and dark but really expand. The wet leaf is highly roasted in scent. The sip is medium to light roasted. I really like this one. It is sweet and tastes like roasted honey (can you do that?). I can definitely see why some called this nutty. After reading it, I totally agree. Seems thick like milk but has more glide. Not sure that makes sense either. This is light and refreshing and not the heavy chunk of roasting I normally associate with darker oolongs. I taste the Taiwan mountain oolong in the lingering aftertaste but it isn’t super floral or latex like some. This is just all around a nice cup for a rainy dreary day.

190 °F / 87 °C 2 min, 0 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML