Yunnan Golden Bud

From Life In Teacup

Production Year: 2010

Production Season: Spring

Production Region: Yunnan

Pack Size: 1 oz. (28g pack)

Price per unit: $7.99

Product # 4hdh

About Life In Teacup View company

This is a very, very good black tea. The flavor profile is pretty much perfect – zero bitterness, a thick texture, with sweet honey undertones. I wouldn’t change anything about this tea. Resteeps very well. Prepared with stevia.

terri gave me a sample of this one. While it’s a nice cup of tea, it’s a little too…juicy? for me? there’s a sweetness that’s got some other note behind it in this cup that i can’t get on board with. i don’t dislike it, but i wouldn’t go out of my way to find this one again.

I’m having a hard time getting motivated this morning. I’m leaving town on Thurs, & even though I’ll only be gone 5 days, there is SO MUCH TO DO before I leave, & I’m feeling overwhelmed, which only makes it harder to get started because then I can’t decide what to do first. In fact, I was also feeling a little overwhelmed about what tea to start the day with, I have so many teas I still haven’t tried. Decisions…decisions…LOL. So I relaxed, took a few deep breaths, & opened to the universe…

And chose a gongfu session with this one! I can’t remember if this was a free sample (& if it is, thank you Gingko), or if I purchased it, but anyway, I have 10 G here, so I put 5G in my tiny 4oz teapot (the pretty white porcelain one I got from Garret, with the blue lotuses on it), & gave it my usual treatment of 5G + 4oz (rinse) X 15/35/45 sec/1min/2/3/4/ etc

The first cup immediately had good color & strong energy, going straight to the throat & third eye. The flavor was sweet wood, the mouth all a tingle…ahhh I needed this!

With the 2nd cup the flavor becomes rich of toast, cedar, malt, & forest, with a camphor sensation as if I were drinking a puerh…

I combined steeps 3 & 4 into one mug. There was a slightly sour edge to this one, like a sourdough rye bread. Chewy, dense, & sweetened, but not heavily, with a dark molasses, and I can almost taste orange peel, a little clove, & other spices. This is the deep woodwind & low string group: bassoons, bass clarinet, english horn, cello, bass, marimba, wood block, bamboo wind chime…

In the 5th steep a little bitterness, but its the kind that comes with a really dark chocolate. I’ve got a really good tea buzz going on now. I love the sensation of a really good cup, spreading out into my extremities…every breath…

Next cups: Definitely a more chewy, peppery savory tea now, spicy even. The bitterness is gone.

I’d like to close my eyes & meditate. I have a nice mindfulness thing going on, a good vibe in every cell, feeling much more peaceful. I might go with a few more cups of this, but for the final note the flavors of spice & such have mellowed, & it’s a sweet creamy elixir, reminiscent of Yabao.

The rest of this sample goes to Sil, so this is a sip down.

Hold on to that good vibe :)

I hear ya about leaving for a trip and having so much to do to get ready… I am feeling the exact same way. Leaving for Chicago to visit a friend in two days and I have a million things to do. I was feeling overwhelmed when I wrote out my to-do list this morning, but it’s nice to know from your post I’m not alone! And, like you, I turned to tea for help. A soothing cup of oolong did the trick! :-) Hope all goes well for you!

Terri HarpLady

You too Charissa! Most of my tasks revolve around the garden, & making sure I take care of the produce we’ve picked, & that my sons take care of things while I’m gone, so I can come home to find my garden in good shape. It’s amazing how quickly things can die!

Nice review Terri!