Circa 1990 CNNP 8972

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by JC
Boiling

1 Tasting Note View all

• “*Dry* - Sweet, lightly earthy and refreshing. *Wet* - Sweet, creamy, slightly earthy, dates, hints of wood, sweet spice, floral. *Liquor* - Dark Orange/Burgundy Red. *Gong Fu in Yixing...” Read full tasting note
    jcov 148 tasting notes

From Life In Teacup

Production Year: around 1990

Production Season:

Production Region: Yunnan

Factory: Menghai Tea Factory (the factory of Dayi)

Style: Sheng

Size: 250g

About Life In Teacup View company

1 Tasting Note

Dry – Sweet, lightly earthy and refreshing.
Wet – Sweet, creamy, slightly earthy, dates, hints of wood, sweet spice, floral.
Liquor – Dark Orange/Burgundy Red.

Gong Fu in Yixing Gaiwan 4-5g/5oz

1st 35secs – Lightly earthy, thick, sweet, and spicy hint up front. As it washes down it is smooth and strong tasting with a slightly puckery, sweet finish with a somewhat floral-bitter note. The aftertaste is sweet with slightly floral/flower nectar hints. Time between steeps allow the sweetness to develop in the mouth.

2nd 15secs – (the piece opened) Sweet, smooth, lightly earthy, floral and slightly spicy up front. As it washes down it is stronger in taste and very briefly pungent floral note that slowly becomes sweeter. The aftertaste is a floral note that gradually gets sweeter and resembles flower nectar or wild flower honey.

3rd 25secs – Sweet, lightly earthy, floral, brothy and slight spice notes up front. As it washes down, it has a stronger present floral-bittersweet note with a tangy hint that becomes sweeter. The aftertaste is floral sweet, resembles flower nectar or wild flower honey once again. The aftertaste lingers in the mouth and has moved to the throat as well. It becomes sweeter with time and keeps coming back.

4th 35secs – Sweet, smooth, light earthiness, floral, brothy and slight spiciness. As it washes down, it is stronger floral-bittersweet tone with a hint of sweetness that becomes stronger and is very apparent in the mouth and throat. The aftertaste is sweet floral-nectar/honey that lingers.

Final Notes
I stopped taking notes here but I made several good steeps after. I really like this brick, it is amazing. A true example of what good aging can do to a brick. I had to stop taking notes. Not because I was having a hard time, but because I was having such a great time. The sweetness at the end reminds me of pulling the stem of the flower and taking that small drop of nectar. It can resemble wild flower honey, but somehow flower nectar (lightly/watery sweet not bitter, and somewhat perfumy note) seems a better fit. The liquor itself is very aromatic and pleasant, I would love to retry this tea in 5 years, maybe even 10. But I’m sure that if I buy only one it won’t make it to 10! I should have look at the price before falling in love! :P

Boiling
Bonnie

Sounds like a spicy little devil with a little cedar and honey…right or wrong? Couldn’t quite tell if it was nectar or if you had some redwood in the mix too. Sounds like a good one though.

JC

It may have some cedar taste, that woody-spicy taste. But is very faint, almost a tease that remind you is a Puerh. But at the end, just wow the sweetness is just sweet and floral, but not bitter floral (the slight bitterness is mostly in the midst of drinking), is a light sweet (starts watery and increases) with floral. That’s why I went with flower nectar.

I used to pluck the stem of these: http://farm1.staticflickr.com/148/431442633_1187237026_z.jpg and get the a small nectar drop. They are called ‘Cruz de Marta’ back home, I found some similar looking ones on Google but none are the correct one. Just in case the part I used to pluck was the small yellow tip, a long thin stem would come along with a nectar drop.