Earl Grey

Edit tea info Last updated by Jonas

• “Bleh! I've been away all weekend on family get together thing and it's on the other end of the country. My parents had opted for a slightly alternative route than the obvious one and it involved...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1267 tasting notes
  • “My husband and I went out to Shari's for breakfast this morning, and I ordered the Earl Grey. Ugh! Horrible. That was Earl Grey? What a shame that that disgusting tea shares the same name as...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4359 tasting notes
  • “Oh. My. GOD. This has to be the worst tea I've yet had in my (I'm still insisting it's short) life thus far. I went to Humpty's yesterday (oh, Humpty's, night owls everywhere thank you for your...” Read full tasting note
    Daniel_Scott 107 tasting notes
  • “I needed something to warm me up at lunch time, so I got a cup of this at the restaurant (it was a choice between this and 'orange peacock' I swear to god that's what the waitress called it!). I...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1581 tasting notes

From Lipton

A distinctive, full-bodied tea delicately-scented with bergamot for a smooth and enjoyable variety of a timeless classic.

About Lipton View company

It's Lipton,. They're pretty big.

Bleh!

I’ve been away all weekend on family get together thing and it’s on the other end of the country. My parents had opted for a slightly alternative route than the obvious one and it involved a 45 minute ferry-trip.

This is what they served in the cafeteria there.

It was heavily perfumed and tasted mostly of lemon with a backdrop of bergamot. It was a rather dusty and old sort of flavour. Drinkable, I guess, and I’ve certainly had worse, but not really particularly inspiring.

I was however finding it a rather nice break in the travelling experience and as such it served its purpose quite nicely.

Also, I’m going to be scarce on Steepster for a few days. My 52tea Christmas package hasn’t arrived yet and I don’t want any spoilers about the contents, so I’ll be steering clear of the Dashboard until I’ve got it. (If it’s the one that was delivered to the package pick-up place in Copenhagen by mistake, it shouldn’t take very long)

Jaime

I had no idea Lipton made Earl Grey. I probably should have known it, but I’ve never seen it before.

Here’s hoping you get your 52teas package soon!! I can’t wait to dig into mine!

My husband and I went out to Shari’s for breakfast this morning, and I ordered the Earl Grey. Ugh! Horrible. That was Earl Grey? What a shame that that disgusting tea shares the same name as some of the best teas I’ve ever tasted.

I could only swallow two sips, and then had to ask the waitress to take it back and bring me juice instead.

Angrboda

Whenever I’ve been exposed to this one, I’ve always thought it tasted more lemon-y than bergamot-y.

Oh. My. GOD. This has to be the worst tea I’ve yet had in my (I’m still insisting it’s short) life thus far.

I went to Humpty’s yesterday (oh, Humpty’s, night owls everywhere thank you for your blessed existence…) and had a wonderful breakfast of bennies and perogies, ahh. I also had apple juice, and ordered a tea, but pocketed the Lipton bag the server gave me (thank heavens) on the side and steeped David’s Nepal Black instead. What a lovely meal.

Well, that Lipton’s bag was still in my pocket today, so I scored some hot water with honey off SBUX and steeped this worryingly steamrolled-looking little bag. Good grief, I would have been better off drinking honey water.

The dry smell is nasty. Like tea dipped in some sort of cleaner. The wet smell is actually worse – my notes (yeah, I have a little tea notebook now, what a dork) say, “Cleaner and black pepper! Huh?

But the taste! Gack! Hurk! It tastes like a cardboard box shoved to the back of the top shelf of the closet in your spare room would taste if it were liquefied – oh, but not before you dunked it in Lemon Pledge furniture cleaner! Oooh, can I insert that little red >_< face from the rating scale?

Ew!

ashmanra

Oddly, I find myself thrilled that you mention black pepper as one of the notes you picked out. I thought I was a little crazy because I found that to be a note in an Earl Green, one that was quite good, by the way! It must be part of the bergamot profile, but I had never seen anyone else mention it before!

Daniel Scott

Interesting! I’ve actually never picked black pepper out of Earls before this (hence my confusion), but I’ll have to watch for it.

I needed something to warm me up at lunch time, so I got a cup of this at the restaurant (it was a choice between this and ‘orange peacock’ I swear to god that’s what the waitress called it!). I didn’t steep it very long and it came out quite pleasently light with an almost floral, citrusy taste.

Not bad at all for a generic earl grey. I suspect the key thing was the fact that I didn’t steep it very long.

205 °F / 96 °C
Auggy

This makes me laugh. And now I really want to see if there is a tea named “orange peacock” anywhere – or at least one that would have a orange peacock on the label. Because that would probably entertain me for a solid day at least.

Jillian

You wouldn’t believe how hard it was to keep a straight face when she said it. XD

Atacdad

lmao Orange Pekoe

passable, but i prefer twinings.

The best Earl Grey from cheap Earl Grey bag’s teas.

Disgusting. I’m not a purist, i swear, but this has to be the worst kind of bagged tea i’ve had. It tastes like the mix of a banana peel and the white, bitter part of an orange peel. Drank this at work for the caffeine, and next time i’ll just fall asleep – thank you very much.

S’ok!

Standard but I prefer the new version with more “bergamot”

As good as it needs to be, not much not less