Keemun Black Tea

Bulk, Loose Leaf
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Little Red Cup Tea

• “YUM! thank you Little Red Cup for this generous sample! This was the tea to kick off my morning at work and man it did the trick. As with all keemuns, i added a splash of maple syrup and it was...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5074 tasting notes
  • “This poor tea! This is my third cup and every time I try to review it, something prevents me. This last time I just lost my note because I opened up 8tracks in another tab of my browser and...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “This tea has exceeded my expectations. There's a lot going on with this tea that I thought was pretty straight-forward. This time, on the first steep I was picking up on some pepper notes. They...” Read full tasting note
    fuzzy_peachkin 464 tasting notes
  • “This is *Delicious!* Thanks to the Little Red Cup for sending me this tasty sample. I really enjoy Keemuns, but of course no two are ever alike. The flavors I tend to look for are a little smoke &...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3007 tasting notes

From Little Red Cup Tea Co.

You could drink Little Red Cup Keemun Black tea because it’s organic. Or you could drink it because it’s Fair Trade. You could drink it because it’s the epitome of simplicity in Chinese tea or you could drink it because it’s whole leaf. We drink it for all those reasons, but mostly because this is one great tea.

Most people experience black tea as a fairly bland brew in a metal teapot in a Chinese restaurant, or else as an adulterated product, such as English Breakfast tea. But ours is a fabulous tea– rich, robust, with wisps and hints of flower and fruit.

Our years in China have left us accustomed to drinking black tea hot and straight. Left to steep, this tea will get fairly strong, so we suggest starting with less tea or more water until you find a brewing strength you enjoy. Keemun Black tea originated in Qimen County, in southern Anhui Province in the late 19th Century.

We are very pleased to be able to offer fully organic, Fair Trade certified Keemun to you. This is not only one of the best black teas made, it is one of China’s best teas ever.

About Little Red Cup Tea Co. View company

YUM! thank you Little Red Cup for this generous sample! This was the tea to kick off my morning at work and man it did the trick. As with all keemuns, i added a splash of maple syrup and it was so very delicious with this tea. It’s a little smokier than some keemuns that i’ve had but since i’m ok with smokey, i was ok with this tea! YUM!that’s about all i remember from this morning. deliciously smokey and yummy and yay!

Terri HarpLady

I still haven’t tried this one yet, Ikeep getting side tracked, speaking of which my TTC order arrived today! Yay!

Jealous! Maybe that’s what’s t the post office waiting for me…..maybe

Terri HarpLady

That’s what I’m thinking, it’s your box!
So…I’m starting a new collection of teas for you, lol..which I’ll probably piggyback into the BBBB, but it won’t be huge, I promise, just anything I’ve ordered that you don’t have.
Gotta share the love! :)

This poor tea! This is my third cup and every time I try to review it, something prevents me. This last time I just lost my note because I opened up 8tracks in another tab of my browser and crashed the entire thing. Stupid, stupid me. I know 8 tracks crashes Opera. I just wasn’t thinking.

Anyway, thank you Little Red Cup Tea Company for this generous sample. I have to say that I really like the marketing and packaging for this tea. It’s distinctive but looks great.

As for the tea, I haven’t had a lot of experience with Keemun’s, but I do enjoy this. It’s brisk and smoky but not as smoky as lapsang souchong. (My throat doesn’t feel like it’s being grated). There’s a bit of natural sweetness to this that I enjoy and there’s no sign of astringency. It tastes ok cold too, which is good to know as I let this sit too long!

cough add some maple syrup cough

Cavocorax

I need to get some! I didn’t bring syrup with me when I moved and haven’t replaced it yet!

But… this weekend?

costco!

Terri HarpLady

I really enjoyed this one! Both with, & without, my beloved Maple.

yeah. we should add it to the list of things to jointly purchase later heh

I think So!!!

This tea has exceeded my expectations. There’s a lot going on with this tea that I thought was pretty straight-forward. This time, on the first steep I was picking up on some pepper notes. They kind of came out of nowhere and it can’t be contamination from any other tea because this was my first tea of the morning out of clean cup. After the pepper tones, I got a lot of the fruity flavors that I had the first time I had this tea. On the second steep I got the more vegetal, semi-creamy side of the tea. It was still very fruity though.

Terri HarpLady

I have a sample of this tea, waiting to be tried.

Fuzzy_Peachkin

It is definitely a fun one to explore.

This is Delicious!
Thanks to the Little Red Cup for sending me this tasty sample. I really enjoy Keemuns, but of course no two are ever alike. The flavors I tend to look for are a little smoke & a brown sugar sweetness, a pleasant richness that is a little fruity/earthy/& sometimes slightly floral.
It’s all here in my cup, beautifully balanced, absolutely delicious.
That’s all I can say. Thank you. I’ll be adding this to my collection.

Good, eh? :) I like this one too

FINALLY a cup of tea! Had to get up early today and get ready in five minutes flat and out the door NO morning cup! :(
Finally back home and was having major withdraws. Kept making ACK sounds and jerking around making my daughter and husband laugh.
Brewed up some of this tea here.
Its alright – probably a bad time to give it a first try as I would have done better with an LS to punch me in the face but this is a nice mellow morning cup.
No astringency, no bitterness, juicy, slightly smoky, and nice.
Its not my favorite morning cup but it is far better than I was anticipating as I too did not have the best luck with one of their other teas.
Will withhold rating until I have a chance to enjoy this when I am not already having major caffeine withdraws.

Indigobloom

ahh! mornings like that are the worst. No tea?!

Azzrian

Nope not till much later SIGH

I am almost done tasting all my new teas (excluding samples) and the 4 I have left from Little Red Cup have been sitting on my kitchen table taunting me for some time. After a rather awful experience with the first tea of theirs that I tried, I was hesitant to dip into another. But this is about as far as spinachy bitter green as you can get (plus I need the space these are taking up!).

The dry leaves smell like smoke and hay—I actually like both of these in tea if they’re not overpowering. Brewed it’s still smokey but there’s also a hint of fruit—peach or grape maybe? This is a brisk, bold cup, and really exceeded my expectations for sure. It’s also my first experience with a Chinese black straight-up, and it definitely doesn’t need milk. A little astringent but not bitter at all.

Thank you LiberTEAS for this Sample!

I find myself enjoying this one very much, as this being my first Keemun Black Tea. It certainly is a nice change from the traditional Darjeeling, Assam and Ceylon teas.

This leaf produces a pale brownish colored liquid with a nice smokey pine overtones, is coupled with some very nice buttery and faint citricy undertones. There is little to no astringency.

I’m very excited in trying other Keemun Black Teas, for this was a good experience. Thanks again, LiberTEAS for this great suggested sample!

Backlog: I enjoyed a cup of this earlier today. It is pleasantly robust, with a nice fruity character that is somewhat wine-like, ending in a wine-y sweetness and then some dry astringency. Sweet, bold, and full-flavored. I like it, it’s a good Keemun.

This tastes more like I assumed keemun would taste when I first tried it in spring—smoky (though less so than most lapsang souchongs I’ve had), strong, and bittersweet in a way that evokes dark chocolate, a little like an assam mixed with an LS. The ones I tried earlier (from Teavivre and Harney if I recall) were lighter, less smoky, and sweeter, much more chocolate than smoke. This would make a welcome eye opener. I especially like the dry and brewing aroma.

Fuzzy_Peachkin

Yes! Very sweet!

can’t wait until my samples of this show up :)

Bonnie

Sounds really good!

Terri HarpLady

I just got a sample of this in the mail yesterday (not counted in the sipdown extravaganza). I don’t even remember requesting it!

Another sample from Alphakitty (with the appearance of coming by way of LiberTEAS!)

Just brewed a really small cup of this one to test out before leaving it behind. It smells just a touch smoky, and tastes likewise. Kind of like a bagged Lipton + smoke – astringency and other icky things that come with bagged tea? I do seem to like smokiness at a low to moderate level in my tea, so this works for me. But there are so many other teas out there that I’d rather drink, I will be ok leaving it behind. (I’m a poor descriptor; this is quite a nice tea, and really nothing like a bagged tea, there is just this particular flavour I associate with bagged tea that I’m catching. I need to figure out whether it’s a region or what, so I can stop making it sound like it’s a low quality tea!)