White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I got this tea mostly for blending, since I don't have any light whites to mix with stuff. In the spirit of making at least one cold brew a day, I mixed this up in a glass with cucumber slices,...” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes
  • “This isn't the highest quality Bai Mu Dan I've encountered. The leaves are broken and crumbled, and are certainly not as green as the photos on the website would like to suggest. They are dull...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4227 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to *Nicole Martin* for a sample This tea comes in a cute brown baggy bag. Quality Whole Leaf Tea from China Packaging is 100% reusable, recyclable,...” Read full tasting note
    hannabling 80 tasting notes
  • “I received this sample from Little Red Cup Tea Company just before leaving for my honeymoon. There wasn’t time to try it before I left, so I stored it in my cupboard away from light and moisture. ...” Read full tasting note
    CHAroma 500 tasting notes

From Little Red Cup Tea Company

Our organic Bai Mu Dan (White Peony Tea) is a white tea, grown in the very northeastern corner of Jiangxi Province. Made from only one bud and the two adjacent young leaves, this tea is carefully processed to promote a bare minimum of oxidation. It is sun dried, heaped, and then gently baked until fully dried. Bai Mu Dan is always handled carefully in order to minimize leaf breakage so as to maintain optimal quality.

Bai Mu Dan is our most delicately flavored tea, but its bright, fresh taste is distinctive while free from grassy or bitter overtones.

Like all tea we sell, our Bai Mu Dan is whole leaf, organic and Fair Trade certified. It is of outstanding quality and purity, a tea to enjoy on a regular basis, and worth sharing with friends and family who may never have heard of white tea, much less encountered it in whole leaf form.

About Little Red Cup Tea Company View company

I got this tea mostly for blending, since I don’t have any light whites to mix with stuff. In the spirit of making at least one cold brew a day, I mixed this up in a glass with cucumber slices, some shredded mint, and very finely chopped cantaloupe last night and let it steep for about 14 hours. I strained it all, including the cantaloupe, leaving a gorgeous-looking peachy brew. And it might be the most refreshing drink I’ve ever had—sweet from the cantaloupe, vibrant from the mint, cooling from the cucumber and there’s a lovely subtle tea taste in the background. A little floral and fruity, which really elevates this from “water with stuff steeped in it” to “fancy iced tea.”

LiberTEAS

sounds lovely!

Azzrian

good idea – I was not sure what to do with my Red Cup teas now I will use them for my own blends! This sounds wonderful!

TeaBrat

sounds great! white teas are very good for blending. :)

This isn’t the highest quality Bai Mu Dan I’ve encountered. The leaves are broken and crumbled, and are certainly not as green as the photos on the website would like to suggest. They are dull and brown, with no visible signs of fuzzy down like I’ve come to expect from a high quality Bai Mu Dan.

With that said, this is not a bad Bai Mu Dan. It’s just not the very best that I’ve encountered. It’s nothing exceptional. But it is pleasant. It has deliciously sweet, fruity overtones and a nice hint of hay and air in the background.

Overall, a pleasant tea experience.

Little Red Cup Tea

Hi LiberTEAS — very sorry you felt mislead by our photo. You were absolutely right, and we’ve updated all of our tea photos.

All the best,

Martin @ The Little Red Cup Tea Co.

Thanks to Nicole Martin for a sample
This tea comes in a cute brown baggy bag.
Quality Whole Leaf Tea from China
Packaging is 100% reusable, recyclable, biogradable.
www.LittleRedCupTea.com

This is my first Bai Mu Dan that I have reviewed. The tea leaves are dry and crunchy. I boiled some hot water. The flavor was very light.
The taste was light. A light tea taste, sort of when you drink a bit of Pepsi with lots of ice and all the cubes melt. You taste the Pepsi but it is diluted.
This tea reminds me of a tea called Lagg’s, a weak tea that darkens the water, but fails to come up big on flavor or caffeine.

I will blend this with Yerba Mate for now.

9/18/2012 – Tried this tea again. Crunchy leaves. Small cute twigs. Web site www.LittleRedCupTea.com has lots of information and brewing instructions. Here’s my take..
1. Used the best water you can (I’m using NYC tap)
2. The flavor is very faint, floral.
3. Used 1/2 the amount of water.
4. This is a late afternoon or night tea for me.

12/6/2012 It sits on my tea shelf, I haven’t touched it in awhile. I love the graphic brown bag. I’ll keep it around for awhile longer.

Little Red Cup Tea

Hi Hannabling — our Bai Mu Dan is indeed a light tea (as all white teas are) but if you give it another shot, I’d point to the brewing guideline here: http://littleredcuptea.com/pages/brewing-guidelines — White teas are generally brewed cooler than boiling (we shoot for around 170 degrees). A cooler (and perhaps a longer) steep should open up a lot of the flavor you’re looking for.

Best,

Martin @ Little Red Cup Tea

hannabling

Thanks Martin! Will brew some more with a follow up.

hannabling

Another option I haven’t tried is to let it sit in the fridge overnight and try it cold.

I received this sample from Little Red Cup Tea Company just before leaving for my honeymoon. There wasn’t time to try it before I left, so I stored it in my cupboard away from light and moisture. I always feel bad about writing a review that’s anything but glowing when it’s for a tea I’ve received for free, whether that be through a swap or directly from a tea distributor in exchange for a review. Sadly, this is one of those cases.

I believe this tea is about the same quality as most bagged teas, maybe slightly better. The leaves are crushed enough that they’d probably fit in a bagged form as is. The tea produced is not very flavorful, but it’s also not bitter or astringent. I tried brewing this with 2 tsp of leaves in about 8 oz. of water and it was nearly flavorless. With 3 tsp, it’s a little better. However, it’s missing the lovely sweetness and hay-like qualities that I’ve come to love about Bai Mu Dan. It’s just a rather lackluster cup of tea.

That said, it’s not bad. It’s just not great either. If I really needed tea and this was all I had, I’d still drink it. But if I was in the mood for a White Peony tea and had other options, I’d turn elsewhere. Overall, I rate it along the same lines as I rate the bagged teas I used to love before discovering loose leaf. I am glad I had the opportunity to try it though!

Like someone else said, this is not the fanciest, highest quality bai mu dan. It is, however, a fantastic one. Floral, light, and misty, I just can’t get enough of it. At a price you simply cannot beat, this is probably the purchase I recommend most to anyone interested in white teas. I typically get 4-5 steeps out of it, which is more than enough.

This is the second time I’ve tried this tea. I used a cooler temperature but got the same result. The smell is a combination of white tea and damp leaves in the woods. Just a bit off to my nose. The taste is similar. Not bad but just not to my taste.

Thanks to the Little Red Cup for the sample

I didn’t look at the description before I brewed it. I assumed it was an oolong.
It’s light, air, and has an “open air” kind of flavor. Slightly fruity and sweet. I thought it was odd for an oolong, oh but wait its a white tea! Hmmm… my first white tea… I Kinda like it. Not sure really what to think of it but it seems like a good starting point.