Earl Grey Grand Classic

Edit tea info Last updated by Janefan

• “Another interesting tea courtesy of *ifjuly* I've been avoiding this one. I don't really do well with Earl Grey, but am willing to try anything people send me. This says it's not bergamot but...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 734 tasting notes
  • “Thank you for the sample *Dexter3657* :) I haven't had Earl Grey in a long time...there is something weird and not quite right about this one IMO. It SMELLS really good but tastes weird. I will...” Read full tasting note
    paradigmamnesia 938 tasting notes
  • “I don't know what a longan fruit smells or tastes like, but I'm guessing it's very similar to lychee because the dry leaf smells like lychee with an undernote of spicy, whooshy citrus. ...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “Amazing blend both hot and cold. Surprisingly smoky, and you can definitely taste and smell the longan which lends an exotic, mysterious, "vintage" sort of feel to the whole thing. Brewed an...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 613 tasting notes

From Lupicia

A surprisingly curious name, but this tea is in fact closer to the original Earl Grey than the typical bergamot blends. Black Chinese tea is scented with the oriental fruit longan, faithfully reproducing the flavour of the blend the Earl himself first tasted.

About Lupicia View company

Another interesting tea courtesy of ifjuly
I’ve been avoiding this one. I don’t really do well with Earl Grey, but am willing to try anything people send me. This says it’s not bergamot but the oriental fruit longan. I have no idea what that is, but at least it’s ot bergamot.
This is really citrus. Incredibly citrus. Drowning out everything else citrus. Sorry ifjuly, I know you adore this one, but it’s a big miss for me. Oh well, I learned something – googled longan.

Thank you for the sample Dexter3657 :)

I haven’t had Earl Grey in a long time…there is something weird and not quite right about this one IMO. It SMELLS really good but tastes weird. I will finish my cup and glad I got to try it but this is on my do not like list , heh.

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Dexter

Sorry – I don’t do EG, you asked for Lupicia, so I just passed it along. I hadn’t tried it – not that I would be a good judge. :((

Stephanie

No, don’t get me wrong, super glad to try it! especially for free since I didn’t like it and all :)
Plus everything else you sent has been amazing so far :D

Dexter

I know, can’t win them all. Yes you get to take it off your list without buying it. :))

Stephanie

Also? Sometimes I feel weird that SO many of my tea reviews are resoundingly positive…so its actually kind of refreshing when I can leave a neutral or somewhat negative review on something, LOL!

I don’t know what a longan fruit smells or tastes like, but I’m guessing it’s very similar to lychee because the dry leaf smells like lychee with an undernote of spicy, whooshy citrus. Post-brewing the top note of the smell is still sweetly lychee with a stronger undercurrent of bergamot.

The taste is not quite lychee, almost muscat and with a smooth note of bergamot underneath. Sometimes there’s a hint of bitterness at the end of the sip. Other times it feels smooth and silky. There’s a little spicy tingle in the aftertaste – I’m not sure if it is from the tea or the bergamot. The description says ‘smokey’ but I don’t really get much of that (unless you count the spicy bit). It’s more of a hint of darkness/richness that would pair well with a smoky tea but, in this, pairs with almost-lychee.

Ultimately, probably a little too fruity/unique for it to be a regular sipper but enjoyable.

Meghann M

I’ll have to check this one out. I’ve been eyeing up many of their teas and really want more of their basic earl grey in my cupboard….not that I need any more tea.

Auggy

You can never have too much tea! :)

Meghann M

I just have to convince my husband that it’s okay to take over a full cupboard with tea:) At least he is coming round and drinking iced tea more and more. Now I just have to get him into the hot beverage.

Thomas Smith

Lychee is similar, but more juicy.

Amazing blend both hot and cold. Surprisingly smoky, and you can definitely taste and smell the longan which lends an exotic, mysterious, “vintage” sort of feel to the whole thing. Brewed an enormous 10-cup pot the other night for our Breaking Bad marathon (trying desperately to catch up before the end of the series lest we face spoilers) and was utterly enchanted. The leftover tea iced was wonderful today with a huge salade nicoise with all the trimmings and some creamy nutty gouda on baguette rounds. I love the way it has elements of all sorts of things I love—smoky afternoon-type blends, that delicate Chinese tea quality, mysterious heady un-tart fruit—together in a single refreshing but haunting brew. Will definitely be restocking.

I’ve been wanting to try this for a while and I finally ordered it! I’m so glad I did. Its meant to be a recreation of the original earl grey tea. It is quite different to your typical earl grey but still has that very earl grey-ish quality but just a little more exotic.

I love the smokiness of this tea which balances perfectly with the longan fruit. Its a very relaxing tea.

Boiling

Earl Grey is my “must-have” morning tea. I usually drink Twinings Earl Grey, but if I could afford it I would drink Lupicia’s Earl Grey Grand Classic every morning. Once you’ve tried the Grand Classic, other Earl Greys seem somewhat bland in comparison.

I didn’t find it to be smokey, but then again as a regular Lapsang Souchong drinker most other teas don’t really taste smokey to me.

I certainly couldn’t drink it all day long, as the fruity notes of the Grand Classic seem to accumulate on the palate over a number of cups, but I prefer more robust teas later in the day anyway.

I love this tea! I am not to partial to smokey teas but this one has a medium smokey base and the Chinese logan fruit blends very nicely with the Bergamont flavour. During the summer, i love making this tea into a tea spritzer or soda. It’s an interesting taste but also very good! I recommend this tea for Earl Grey lovers as well as smokey tea people! If you’re neither i still urge you to try it!

I was a bit alarmed when I smelled a smokiness upon opening the tea package. After steeping I could smell some of the fruit flavor too. I was expecting the smokiness to have a very sharp taste, but it actually blends well and is more of a smoother flavor.

Over time, I’ve grown to appreciate this tea more~ I don’t know if the tea has aired out a bit and isn’t as pungent/smokey as before but it is quite nice now.

This tea surprised me!
I was expecting a decent cup of bergamot-flavoured tea, so imagine the shock when I opened the sachet and was greeted by a strong peachy note instead. I adjusted my expectation according, looking forward to a cup of peachy tea as I brewed the tea bag. But there came another wave of shock when I drank the brewed tea – it’s SMOKY!! Very fruity too, but definitely it’s neither bergamot nor peach. I looked up Lupicia’s website and learnt that it’s LONGAN! I have longan every summer but this was the first time I consumed it in black tea. No wonder the taste was so unfamiliar!
I have to disagree with some previous comments that the fruit tasted citrusy. Longan is not at all a citrus fruit! It’s very sweet and similar to lychee. It also shares some similarities with muscat/grapes given its juiciness and succulence. Anyway, this is a unique, almost exotic, tea that is not for everyone. But if you appreciate something different and special, you are going to enjoy it :)

This is a sample I received from Rie a very long time ago but just got around to trying this weekend. It’s quite smoky; that’s the dominant note I get out of it. There is some background fruitiness, to be sure, but as I’ve never tasted longan (or anything longan-flavored) before I can’t say if that note is accurate. It doesn’t strike me as too drastically different from a standard bergamot-infused Earl with a smoky base, to be honest—in fact it reminds me an awful lot of Lupicia’s standard Earl Grey (though I admit it’s been a few months since I’ve had that one, so my memories may be leading me astray). That’s a favorite of mine, so of course I’m enjoying this quite a bit as well. I suppose I was expecting some sort of in-your-face exotic fruit flavor, and I’m a little bit disappointed not to be getting that, but I really can’t complain.