La Belle Epoque

Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “This teabag came as a free sample in one of my recent Lupicia newsletters. I love art, so I was really into the name of this one! After I realized it was predominately a darjeeling blend, I do...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2353 tasting notes
  • “I had to buy this tea because of the name. I am, after all, a creature formed in the 20th century and my sensibilities, thus, have been trained to respond to various stimuli. I'm not the kind of...” Read full tasting note
    Doulton 255 tasting notes
  • “I think this is the freshest of my randomly found Lupicia samples. This is surprisingly good! It's a nice balance of smooth and brisk. The Darjeeling comes through strong, but the other teas in...” Read full tasting note
    CHAroma 514 tasting notes
  • “My 10th tea from The Book of Tea. So now The Book is 1/3 completed! :D This tea has a beautiful and nostalgic name. Frankly speaking, I don't really get what the "nostalgic aroma" means... does...” Read full tasting note
    larukucafe 305 tasting notes

From Lupicia

A unique blend of Indian Darjeeling, Assam Sri Lankan, and Kenyan tea creates a full-bodied tea with a kick. This Lupicia Classic Blend is elegant and new, yet has somewhat of a nostalgic aroma.

About Lupicia View company

This teabag came as a free sample in one of my recent Lupicia newsletters.

I love art, so I was really into the name of this one! After I realized it was predominately a darjeeling blend, I do wish I had steeped it at a somewhat lower temperature than boiling.

I got a dark brownish-red tea liquor in my cup. There is definitely a lot of second flush darjeeling going on here, and another element which I am guessing is an assam? It has a very woodsy and spicy element in the cup. Sipping on it plain wasn’t too bad at all, but it was also nice with a touch of soymilk. Overall, not bad, but I don’t think I need any more.

I had to buy this tea because of the name. I am, after all, a creature formed in the 20th century and my sensibilities, thus, have been trained to respond to various stimuli. I’m not the kind of person who responds to “Blue Light Special” or “Blue Plate Special” or “Savings!”. But anyone who would like to attract my attention can do so by a soupçon of French or un po’ d’Italiano. Adding an evocation of the past (vintage, Edwardian, Victorian, nostalgic) wins bonus points and I’m happily ready to separate myself from the contents of my wallet. I ordered “La Belle Epoque” in one of those Pavlovian moments. Who wouldn’t like a drink from “La Belle Epoque?”

I am so happy to report that this is a wonderfully robust Darjeeling. Darjeelings are quickly becoming my first morning brew of choice. This one steeps rapidly and quickly becomes an almost deep red color. Slightly smoky, woodsy, spicy, the tea tastes as if a dash of salt had been added (could that be the Belle Epoque?) but it really works in this tea as a piquant note.

Having now finished my second cup, I am nostaligic for me. This blend is certainly going on my list of teas that must be re-ordered.

My first experience with Lupicia was good. Although they don’t have the almost instant delivery of Upton’s; they delivered within 8 days of having the order confirmed and included two free samples.

Marie

You are so right! Love those tea titles from Lupicia. I’ve yet to try any, but who can resist those romantic names that mysteriously draw you in to experience more? I loved reading Julie & Julia, and have both Julia Child’s “Mastering the Art of French Cooking.” Sometimes modern is not better. :)

__Morgana__

It’s awful, isn’t it? I’m such a total sucker for this sort of marketing. Give it a pretty, evocative name and you’ve pretty much got me on the hook, unless there’s something in there I absolutely detest. And there are so few things I absolutely detest, particularly since we’re talking about tea. I mean, in real life I hate the consistency of anything with custard in it, like creme brulee — but creme brulee tea sounds awesome. And if they named it something like Fleur de Lis, I would be a goner.

Ricky

La Belle Epoque!!! It was such an interesting era. I really wish Lupicia’s website was easier to browse.

Ricky

I just realized… this is a darjeeling! Ahhhh!

I think this is the freshest of my randomly found Lupicia samples. This is surprisingly good! It’s a nice balance of smooth and brisk. The Darjeeling comes through strong, but the other teas in the blend are equally present. I usually hate drinking black tea straight, but I drank the whole cup this way! Yum! This is a solid choice if you like Darjeelings. I’m thoroughly enjoying this. :)

My 10th tea from The Book of Tea. So now The Book is 1/3 completed! :D

This tea has a beautiful and nostalgic name. Frankly speaking, I don’t really get what the “nostalgic aroma” means… does it refer to the fruity and earthy aroma that I got? Anyway, it smelted lovely and comforting, especially on a cold winter evening! At first I thought it was just an innocent cup of Darjeeling, but then I found out that it had a unique salty aftertaste that I had never got from other Darjeeling teas. Even more unexpected was that it had a tinge of spiciness that became detectable as I kept drinking. I don’t think I like the tea more because of the savoury aftertaste and spiciness, but they appear to make this blend special memorable. A tea that leaves a deep impression… perhaps that’s why they call it La Belle Epoque? ;)

TeaBrat

I always see this one at the Lupicia store but never bought it due to the goofy description. ;-)

This was very good, and I didn’t actually realize it was a Darjeeling until after reading these reviews! I got it free in a Lupicia mail order and it was a very interesting taste.

I actually usually shy away from Darjeeling, I don’t know why, it usually tastes too light and acidic or something to me, and I often go much heavier and maltier (i.e. Assam or Yunnan Gold) when picking a Black tea. But this was really quite good, I had it without milk and it was quite a powerful taste. At first the colour and texture made me think it was actually a Pu-Erh!! It is a bit woodsy. Maybe there is some mix in here. In any case it’s a great blend of some sort, and I enjoyed it a lot more than a straight Darjeeling.

Fourth sample of the eight samples in the Lupicia pack. Halfway through already. I should really buy more sample packs, but then I would rather look for more Japanese or Chinese tea samplers, as I have realized that I do quite often prefer these teas over Indian black teas.

Nonetheless, it is an Indian blend that is on the breakfast menu today. It is the La Belle Epoque, which I guess you do not even need to know French to understand what it means. (Thank you, French influence on the English language.) I found it quite fitting to be saved for today as I am celebrating my birthday, and could use some nostalgia before moving on to the new year and new age.

And indeed, when the strong smell arises from the deep red coloured liquid pouring into the cup, I do indeed feel a slight bit of nostalgia – or maybe just a hint of imaginative refinedness.

The taste is strong and robust at first, yet contains very round chocolate darjeeling elements which become more present as the breakfast goes on. I guess a strong Indian blend is best consumed accompanied by a light meal, as they tend to be a little too strong alone for my taste. (Better prepare some good pastries for the Ceylon sample!)

All in all a good tea, a pleasant breakfast and nice start of the day.

Shinobi_cha