Tsugaru Green

Green Tea
Apple, Apple Candy, Green Apple, Red Apple, Fruity
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I cold brewed this for 12 hours, although the sun went away and it is now cold and foggy in San Francisco again... this one makes a delightful cold beverage, I think I like it even better this...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2542 tasting notes
  • “I made this one cold-brewed last night for lunch today. Cold brewing is one of the only ways I still enjoy flavored greens, but I've still been having issues with them being too strong or grassy...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2007 tasting notes
  • “I wasn't going to drink this until tomorrow, but it was so appley and all-around tasty already that I couldn't resist. Great tea for a cold steep - light, fresh, and crisp, like drinking a...” Read full tasting note
    annapocalyptic 300 tasting notes
  • “Thanks a million for the sample *Amy Oh!* this is a great tea! Not something I'd want everyday, but unique enough that it stands apart from your average green fruity tea. At first sip I was...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1329 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Japanese green tea flavored with “San-Tsugaru” apples from Aomori prefecture in Japan.

Ingredients: Green tea, flavors

Hot to make tea:
One 150 ml (5.0 fl oz) cup
Boiling water
Steep for 1.5-2 minutes

About Lupicia View company

Mixed feelings about this tea. The scent is not a true apple, but more along the lines of apple candy, like Jolly Ranchers. Really couldn’t detect the apple note with the second steeping. It tastes much better iced. I took the remaining tea to work and everyone immediately devoured the rest of it. Looking to try other teas from Lupicia but probably won’t repurchase this one.

Nice green apple aroma that really stays close to the cup. You have to hold th cup under your nose to fully enjoy it. Perfect for a cold rainy day like today. Plus it has a nice clean finish.

Made a pot of this for my sister and me to share! The apple in this tea is sweet and crisp, and smells very fresh. (Tsugaru apples are a pale red apple, from what I can tell, and that matches the taste here.) The apple blends well with the green base; both are light and clean. I’d say the apple is on the subtle side, overall… My sister doesn’t drink unsweetened tea often, so to her this tasted like a nice straight green. But she definitely noticed the apple in the aroma, and I could taste the sweet softness of it mid-sip. (The flavor became more noticeable as it cooled, too.)

The base tea isn’t as finicky as some greens I’ve tried, but I still have to watch the water temperature, and keep the steep time to 2 minutes max. I also like that this tea is very smooth; it doesn’t have the powdery mouthfeel of some greens, which makes it easier to avoid any bitterness.

This is one of my favorite apple teas in my cupboard. If you like green tea and softer, more aromatic flavors, I’d say give this one a try.

Because I wanted to try some green tea, I got this one too. Apples! It smells so nicely like apples. Not so much Autumn apples, but Japanese apple candies. The flavour is fruity, mildly sweet, apple, and I like the base green.

This would be something I’d like to try iced.

Flavors: Apple, Apple Candy, Green Apple, Red Apple

wow, so glad i decided to spring for some of this in my first Lupicia order! it’s effing delicious. it smells beyond divine. like apples so fresh and juicy you just wanna cold-steep this in an ice bath and chug the pitcher when it’s done.

the smell of the dry leaf. i can’t even talk about the smell. so appley luscious and rosy. i wouldn’t normally consider myself an apple fiend, especially when it comes to flavored things but this is by far the exception.

i mean i’m always open to wonderfully scented and flavored teas that are fruity, gourmand/sweet and what have you, but i really like this one. now i wanna give their Apple & Berry green a try as well….and of course their Grapefruit Green. i’m a grapefruit fiend & every now and again, i crave grapefruit like i crave oxygen. anyway, if Tsugaru Green is any indication of the quality of Lupicia’s flavored greens, i should have no trouble exploring their other green offerings! (Not least of all their matcha, hehe.)

i also got their Strawberry & Vanilla green which smelled so amazing i could have passed out. so yea, totally looking forward to fainting.

ETA my brother’s on vacation right now in Japan & he just climbed Mount Fuji with his friend! he said it was one of the most challenging yet rewarding things he’s ever done in his life. i told him about this tea & the famed San Tsugaru apples from Aomori Prefecture and said he should try and procure some if there are any in Tokyo!

how i wish i had a bowl of them in front of me right now, i would not cease to attack it and eat at least 3!!

Flavors: Apple, Fruity

ashmanra

I had a sample of it a while back. It really is quite good.

Another apple tea that is absolutely delicious!

It seems like Lupicia is kind of a hit or miss for me (although the misses are never truly bad and the hits are usually SUPER hits) but this one I am definitely enjoying. I am not sure if this is better than Nina’s Marie Antoinette or not… I wish I had more of MA in order to compare but the little sample I had I drank ages ago.

So, yeah, I guess Tsugaru is not just any apple but a special Japanese apple, probably slightly tarter than an ol’ granny smith (or maybe not, the google search came up with the information that it is “a cross between a Gold Delicious and Orange Pippin”). But I really don’t know. All I can say is that the tea is damn refreshing, tasty and smells super appley. I mean, really, it is an apple-crazy tea. It might not be an instant re-stock when I am out of it, but I will definitely want to have it on hand from time to time.

Cameron B.

Yum! There are way too many Lupicia teas that I want to try. :P

Kat_Maria

They have way too many of them to choose from :D

I’m getting a nice balance of green tea to apple with this one. It is not quite as sweet or apple-y as Big Apple from DAVIDs, but it is still good. I bet a drop of maple to sweeten instead of the raw cane sugar I use would bridge that gap. I might look at cold steeping the rest. I’d like to see if that pulls out more juicy apple.

Thanks to Dexter for sending me this one. I do love apple teas.

As the converse of “cold brew things I wouldn’t normally cold brew”, I steeped this one hot for the first time today. The aroma was very much like warm apple cider, so I was concerned that the tea was going to be overly sweet. But this wasn’t the case, and it came out as a light, smooth green tea with a touch of apple flavor. As a simple, straightforward fruity tea it’s pretty good with a meal.

165 °F / 73 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Mother is making me drink the rest of this tea so I have this and one more sachet to go!
Seriously. Whenever I’m home, my job is to drink all of my mother’s old teas so she can go out and buy more.

This tea legit smells like nice sweet green apples! Like almost as sweet as those caramel apple lollipops I’d always get a ton of during Halloween. It’s a lovely green tea, with a lovely apple flavour :)
I feel like because this tea is fairly old, its flavour isn’t that good. Aww what a shame; this is one of my favourites! It had a nice bright apple-y flavour when I had it last year, but it’s a bit musky now. No more sweet candy apple taste, but a stale apple pie?

I’ll probably throw the last sachet of this into a cold-brew to drink in the morning :)

VariaTEA

Oh no. It is always sad when teas smell amazing but age has tainted their taste. Also, I can think of worse jobs to do at home than drinking tea :P.

jump62359

Parents know I’ll eat and drink anything while I’m at home, so my job? Shred all the papers and eat all the stuff that’s about to go bad ahha. And then they take me out to sushi for dinner so it all works out :))

I do like free samples, good thing one comes with Lupicia’s newsletter. This one had a crisp green apple taste but not too strong. My dad really seemed to like it, even asking for the info on it and reading the newsletter.