Orzo Strawberry

Herbal Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Suzi

From Lupicia

An ancient variety of barley grown in Italy with a sweet strawberry and chocolate fragrance.

About Lupicia View company

So what is orzo? It was recommended to me as a coffee alternative, so when I saw it at Lupicia I was curious. As I picked it up, I remember thinking, “Gee, but it has no caffeine, which is pretty much why I drink coffee. Certainly not for the taste. I don’t think I want this if it tastes like coffee…there’s no benefit!” Then I noticed that they had some flavored orzo selections as well, and after some debating I decided to take home the Orzo Strawberry. I’ve had good luck with Lupicia’s other strawberry teas.

Whatever they use for strawberry flavoring in the “Carol” and “Strawberry & Vanilla” teas, it’s here as well, and quite strong. It complements the orzo, which tastes like toasted rice with a hint of chocolate. Yes, chocolate! So I guess this is like a malty chocolate-covered strawberry.

That sounds weird. But it tastes OK!

PS – Drink totally looks like coffee in my glass.

Stephanie

I’m so curious about orzo! This sounds yummy, actually.

Orzo tea? Huh? This jumped out at me, as I drink a lot of cool barley tea in the summer. And the richness of the barley goes really, really well with the tart strawberry. I don’t taste any chocolate notes no matter how hard I try, but oh well. They recommend this as a tea that goes well with milk, is great for kids, and has no caffeine. I’d agree on all of these counts (although obviously the caffeine thing isn’t an opinion ;) ). Because of the fruitiness I can really see this making a good iced tea as well.

I’m definitely going to keep some of these orzo teas around as another caffeine-free alternative to rooibos, honeybush, and herbal blends. It’s worth trying! I can’t remember the last time I liked a strawberry tea.

I love caffeine free alternatives because I drink a lot of tea and like some at night. This one has a sweet nutty taste. Almost like hazelnut but not really.

This tea is the perfect night-time drink. Sometimes when it’s cold at night I have mad cravings for tea, but can’t drink any because I don’t buy decaf and haven’t really acquired the taste for most herbal/rooibos teas. Enter: barley tea! It’s nutty and rich, with a bittersweet aftertaste that’s actually rather pleasing. I can’t explain.

It brews dark, so one tea spoon actually produces a brew that looks a lot like coffee. I have this hot, with some milk/soy creamer, and one or two cubes of sugar. The strawberry flavor is stronger when it’s dry, and melts into the barley flavor when it’s brewed, which is quite nice. Best dessert/midnight snack tea ever.

I’ve also brewed it very lightly sweetened in cold water. It makes a great iced tea, very refreshing. Really sad that it’s supposed to be a limited edition. I hope the Lupicia in town doesn’t run out!

I’d always thought that orzo was a type of pasta – and it turns out I’m not wrong but apparently the pasta got its name for it’s resemblance to barley grains which is what this tea is made out of. It looks very much like coffee grounds and it was a pain in the ass to clean out of my strainer so I’d say it almost needs something like a coffee filter for brewing.

Dry the smell is a rich, malted scent with hints of chocolate and strawberry. After adding the water it became more coffee-like. I literally can’t drinking coffee or it will make me violently ill so I have no idea how close the flavour is to actual coffee – which supposedly orzo is a common substitute for. I will say that it tastes like it smells – flavourful and toasty with a faint hint of bitterness. The strawberry is sort of a vague sweet undertone but it provides a nice contrast.

Many thanks to Ash for providing a sample of this tea via the GCTTB.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Sipdown (139)!

I cold brewed my sample of this. Naively I didn’t look up the tea before doing so; I just kind of made the assumption that this was a strawberry black, and it is not. It is, in fact, another Barley tea which made me nervous. My experience with Mugicha was not a pleasant one; and I prepared that both times by cold brewing it.

This is not really so much of an exception. I’m noticing the exact same things are true about this blend that I didn’t really like so much with Mugicha; it very strongly tastes like bitter, cheap coffee grounds or highly burnt toast. However, this one also had bitter chocolate notes adding to the severe weirdness/harshness.

I have to hand it to the strawberry though; that bright strawberry taste that slipped into some sips redeemed this enough to make it drinkable. It still was not awesome though, so I’ve come to the realization I will have to try the next Barley tea that crosses my path hot. If I don’t like it hot, I think it’s clear that Barley tea is not so much a thing for me.

Cathy Zheng

I find that hot Orzo with milk becomes such a smooth cup of yum :)

2014 tasting notes

Cavocorax and I decided to split 50 g of this tea and as I divided it up, I found myself very excited to get to try the strawberry milkshake goodness promised in the smell. Sipping on it now, I am enjoying the cup, though I still find the base incredibly dense (seriously, this tea is thick and black!) so it is not something I could drink all the time. However, that doesn’t mean that it is bad as when I am in the mood for something a bit heavier this could certainly hit the spot. It is like coffee and a strawberry milkshake had a caffeine-free baby and this is it. I realize that sounds weird but it works.

i was going to steal a cup from you and cavo but realised kittenna’s package is still here lol

VariaTEA

I can share.

i’ll steal from kittenna…her package is unopened and this way it’s incentive for her to come get her teas before i drink them all lol

VariaTEA

Haha I do that to my brother with food. I call it “training” seeing as he always comes late for meals because he is playing video games. So one day, I waited 15 minutes and then proceeded to take a bite of his food every additional 5 minutes he was late. When he showed up and half his meal was missing, he learned :P.

Jennkay

Sounds tasty! I’m adding it to the list of Lupicia teas to check out next time I’m in SF.