Amanatsu (Sweet Summer Tangerine) Oolong

Fruit Oolong Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I've almost hit 10,000 words on NaNoWriMo and the 3rd day isn't even over... I've decided I need to cut myself off and cool down with some tea reviews! I also can't sleep, and writing about tea is...” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes
  • “Mmmmmmm - that is all I have for now ... going to go brew a tub of this and soak in it sipping down the level until I can refill - think I have enough leaf? Ahhhh Glorious! A Tea from my Lupicia...” Read full tasting note
    azzrian 807 tasting notes
  • “I'm surprised I am the first to log this tea. I suppose it is due to how many teas Lupicia carries, there are just so many to choose from. I got this on a whim with my order after reading tasting...” Read full tasting note
    Dragonwellluvr 558 tasting notes
  • “Yet another Lupicia oolong sample thanks to *Alphakitty!* This one smelled delicious but didn't pan out in the taste so much. There was just something missing... I wanted more sweetness, more...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1851 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Native to Japan, the amanatsu resembles an orange but has a flavor more like that of a tangerine. It is popular because of its sweet flavor and is a delicious accompaniment to fragrant and floral Taiwanese oolong. This blend also makes great iced tea.

About Lupicia View company

I’ve almost hit 10,000 words on NaNoWriMo and the 3rd day isn’t even over… I’ve decided I need to cut myself off and cool down with some tea reviews! I also can’t sleep, and writing about tea is pretty soothing.

I think this is the tea I meant to order when I got their Jasmin Mandarin last time. Not, you know, exactly—but I thought the Jasmin Mandarin had actual mandarin orange in it and was hoping for a light citrusy green. Sadly it’s just a jasmine tea (which I ended up giving to my mom!) but this is essentially what I was looking for. It’s an oolong not a green tea, but that’s even better! I love oolongs.

In the bag this smells SUPER overpowering, and fake. But I trust Lupicia, and brewed it’s very light. Japanese Tangerines are sweet but also a bit bitter, like marmalade, and that transfers over to the tea. It’s very lightly citrusy, with some floral qualities from the oolong downplaying the “bite.” It’s one of the most refreshing blends I have ever had, and I bet this would be perfect for a hot summer day. It’s good all year round though, since I associate clementines and similar fruits (like tangerine!) with Christmas. I think this would make a really good brine for a nice holiday chicken actually! Mmm, maybe with some cloves.

(Also, is it just me or do the tangerine bits/candies in the photo look like gummy bears?)

Nik

It’s not just you, they totally look like gummy bears! Being very sensitive to bitterness, I’m a bit worried that it wouldn’t be downplayed enough by the floral influence, but jasmine+something orangey is a hard combination to resist. Adding to my shopping list. :D

Mercuryhime

Sounds yummy!

Mercuryhime

Also, wow! 10,000 words in three days!

Angrboda

Wow, you’re doing crazy well!

Azzrian

They TOTALLY look like gummie bears! I think that every time I visit the lupicia site. LOL

Fjellrev

w00t congrats on hitting 10000. :D

Mmmmmmm – that is all I have for now … going to go brew a tub of this and soak in it sipping down the level until I can refill – think I have enough leaf? Ahhhh Glorious!
A Tea from my Lupicia Happy Bag.

Kasumi no Chajin

can’t wait to order this one!

JC

Sweet, summer and a citrus fruit…. = watery mouth here.

Azzrian

got three good steeps out of it before I wanted to try another. Really good stuff.

TeaBrat

Now you make me want to go to Lupicia!

Shmiracles

i’ve added this to my shopping list. there’s something ethereal about it and it speaks to me.

Azzrian

I agree Shmiracles it feels that way when you sip it!

I’m surprised I am the first to log this tea. I suppose it is due to how many teas Lupicia carries, there are just so many to choose from. I got this on a whim with my order after reading tasting notes about other citrus and lemon oolongs.

I love watching oolongs unfurl. The tiny little pearl leaves unfurl into huge one inch wide leaves that are at least an inch long. Such beauties. And completely unfurled during the one and a half minute steep.

Ahhh….this tea certainly has sweet tangerine flavor along with a nice darker oolong base. Sweet and vegetal, slightly creamy and totally tangerine. This tastes very natural, not artificial at all. I’m so happy I purchased a pouch of this! YUM!

Yet another Lupicia oolong sample thanks to Alphakitty!

This one smelled delicious but didn’t pan out in the taste so much. There was just something missing… I wanted more sweetness, more buttery floral notes from the oolong. The light tangerine was nice at the beginning of the sip but otherwise it was barely present. I’m not sure if this one suffered from storage in a plastic bag or what, but it wasn’t quite as good as some of the others from Lupicia that I’ve tried.

Kasumi no Chajin

I LOVE this one, and how it is not overdone.

Loose
Appearance: med dark green knobby oolong, yellow bits of citrus, reminiscent of gummy bears in appearance.
Aroma when Dry: Sweet, fruity, orange/tangalo citrus
After water is first poured: candied tangerine
At end of steep: orange, tangerine, hinting at grass
Tea liquor:
At end of steep: hinting at green
Staple? yes, Possible Spring, summer seasonal
Preferred time of day: afternoons
Taste:
At first?: Tangy, tangerine, slight smooth finish
As it cools?: notes open up, and lighten, a vegital earthy note surfaces
Additives used (milk, honey, sugar etc)? No
Lingers? Yes, light citrus, hinting at smooth crea,
Will revisit chilled, want to try mixed with hibiscus too.

Second Steep(4 min):
Aroma: Tangerine scented broth
Taste: light tangerine notes, brothy texture, slight salt note
As it cools? gets a woody, foresty slightly roasted texture
Lingers? yes, the salt note, and broth note closes

Third steep (5min)
Tangerine scented, flavored water

Wow, this is the 2nd lupicia tea I’ve had and I can just say this… their oolongs are SUPER AWESOME. I mean, this is like top quality here. I barely even taste the tangerine – I could just drink this as a green oolong. =O! I need to buy more of their teas, me liking oolong and all…
Thanks Meghann!!

Batrachoid

I’ve wondered about this tea. How did you prepare it?

Ellen

I steeped it in a glass teapot without using any sort of strainer. I like doing it this way with oolongs because it allows the leaves to open up and everything. I used almost boiling water and steeped for not much more than 2 minutes. =)

I received this in a swap a while ago I believe from Meghann so thank you!! :) This one smells very good! There are small yellow-white jelly-looking globs and slightly curled up, large, dark green leaves. The scent is light and fruity.

Upon steeping, the leaves unfurled into large, beautiful ones. The liquor was light yellow. Light floral scent. The taste… wow. I was very surprised once I tried it. It is very flavorful yet it is a light type of flavor. I’d say it overpowers the scent, which is generally unusual for me. It tastes like a light tangerine or citrus but the floral tones of the oolong stand out. How delightful!! I’ll have more steeps thank you!

This is a very light tea even by the standard of Taiwanese oolong. Love the floral oolong base. There’s a mild citrus flavour in my cup which resembles tangerine candy. Would be delicious when iced!

I figured this would be one of Lupicia’s candy oolongs – see, I’ve found there are two main categories. The candy oolongs are all rolled oolongs, and all over the top in terms of bursting-with-flavour fruitiness – like the Melon Oolong, or this one. They all have added pieces of something reminding me of those brightly coloured Japanese sugar candies and they look, smell, and taste very fun and happy.

Then there are the full-leaf oolongs, which are far more earthy and ripe both as regards scent and flavour. Examples would be the Momo Oolong Super Grade, and the Ripe Mango Oolong.

In the bag, this is all candy – it’s a sweet-fruity tangerine candy explosion. but – and here is the surprising aspect of this tea – in the cup, it is far more delicate that expected, and more along the lines of the full-leaf oolongs. Subtle, delicate, complex, natural. It’s supposed to be tangerine, but I find it most resembles satsuma-meets-blood orange.

It’s lovely and infinitely drinkable, but will probably surprise fans of other Lupicia candy oolongs with its subtlety. Objectively, this might deserve a somewhat lower grade, but I’m increasingly fond of citrus-flavoured teas, and if I find a good one – like the Amanatsu – it’s going to be a keeper.

[From my Lupicia order to Rome, April 2014.]

I got a free sample of this tea today with my order from lupicia. The oolong base is quite nice. Although the Amanatsu is Japanese (I believe) it tastes like a Taiwanese oolong. The amanatsu flavour is very subtle and delicate. Its almost more of an after taste than a real flavour in the tea. As Im not a huge fan of citrusy teas I quite like the subtlety of it. Id consider buying this.

185 °F / 85 °C