Decaf Momo

Peach
Edit tea info Last updated by Anna

• “This tastes really good. It doesn’t taste chemical-y or thin (although it is a little – just slightly! – thinner than the caffeinated version of Momo). It has a very pleasant...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4825 tasting notes
  • “Special thanks to LiberTEAs for this one. Overall this was a nice Decaf Tea! I agree with LiberTEAs that it’s just slightly ‘thinner’ than the regular momo! I really like this...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “It’s a little late in the evening to be drinking tea since I’ll have to wake up early tomorrow so this decaf Momo is good to go! I’m drinking tea since its been so cold lately, I...” Read full tasting note
    CK 385 tasting notes
  • “Bedtime for me, and so: decaf Momo. This smells really great. It tastes fine, too—it’s kind of a lighter, almost thin taste for a black tea, which surprised me, but I’ve never had...” Read full tasting note
    karykeion 78 tasting notes

From Lupicia

A decaffeinated black tea flavored with the fruity scent of white peaches produced in Japan.

(French Lupicia: Décaf pêche blanche.)

About Lupicia View company

This tastes really good. It doesn’t taste chemical-y or thin (although it is a little – just slightly! – thinner than the caffeinated version of Momo). It has a very pleasant peach taste. Sweet, juicy and delicious. YUM!!!

Special thanks to LiberTEAs for this one. Overall this was a nice Decaf Tea! I agree with LiberTEAs that it’s just slightly ‘thinner’ than the regular momo! I really like this one…so much so that I had 3 cups yesterday…the white peach is a nice touch…and I really like the black decaf tea taste in this!

It’s a little late in the evening to be drinking tea since I’ll have to wake up early tomorrow so this decaf Momo is good to go! I’m drinking tea since its been so cold lately, I love it! Tastes peachy :)

Bedtime for me, and so: decaf Momo. This smells really great. It tastes fine, too—it’s kind of a lighter, almost thin taste for a black tea, which surprised me, but I’ve never had decaf tea before, so maybe that’s a feature and not a bug. I don’t think I’m going to get this again, since low-caffeine tea is a before-bed thing for me and I like my bedtime teas sweeter and creamier, but it’s a pretty great fruity decaf tea, as they go.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This tea is quite good. There is the strong flavor of peaches, I would argue frozen peaches actually. There is a slight, very slight sourness that reminds me of an icewine tea actually, but with peaches. This tea will become an evening regular for me and I will probably order again as good decaf is hard to find.

I brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with 3 tsp leaf and boiling water for 3 min.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 18 OZ / 532 ML
Tealizzy

This is a really good one. The caffeinated version is good too. I actually got my grandmother into loose tea with this tea! Ha!

Happy new year, all!

This one smells—and tastes—like a fresh, natural white peach. The tea base itself is, of course, not very robust, but provides a nice smooth backdrop for the peach flavor. In my recollection Momo Oolong was more distinctive, but this one is quite enjoyable as well.

In a few days I will be back to my old place to finish up my projects and resume job searching. Hopefully the weather warms up too!

Cameron B.

Happy New Year! :) Good luck with the job search.

Mikumofu

Thank you!! :)

Why do so many fuzzy peach teas fail to actually taste like fuzzy peaches? This one, for example, had such a strong smell that just did not translate to the taste. Instead it was slightly peachy black tea with that hint of weirdness that seems to turn up in decaffeinated cups. Disappointing indeed but at least that is one more tea off my “to try” list and another quick and easy sipdown. Final count for the night: 279.

Incredible. Full-bodied yet refreshing. Hard to believe it’s decaf.
I like Lupicia but seriously did not expect it to be THIS good.
In all the peach teas I’ve tried, I’m all like ‘ya, it’s just gonna be a tea with peach juice.’
Who knew that a decaf Momo would be so buttery, nutty and creamy too? And yes, deliciously peachy.
I don’t think I could be without this one.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 15 OZ / 450 ML

French Lupicia have renamed a lot of the teas on their website – Momo, for example, isn’t Momo, but Pêche blanche, which is well and all, but it’s confusing even for second-language-French, third-language-English me, so I’m going to add the French names to the tea description – I hope this is okay with everyone. Thankfully, all national Lupicia branches use the same number system, so this is still trusty old 5404 all over the world.

So I guess there are three main questions here:

Black fruit tea, Anna? Also, a decaf tea, Anna? And, above all, MORE TEA, Anna?

Yes, yes, and yes.

- I’m not a black fruit tea fan at all, as you know – except that berry one that Ang shared in a swap and that still haunts me sometimes – but peach is one of this year’s projects, after all, along with pushing boundaries. Lupicia’s Momo Oolong is still one of my all-time favourites, and I’ve been eager to compare how the perfect pitch of that peach flavouring translates to a full-on black base. In addition, I don’t have a lot of experience with Lupicia’s black teas, yet my favourite blend ever is one of Lupicia’s flavoured blacks.

- Decaf, because, as you’ve been able to tell, I’m not really getting around to drinking a lot of tea right now. I’m very deep into my work and I can’t really drink tea when I’m off all over Rome visiting libraries and archives and museums – and so when I come home, if I finally do get a chance to steep something, I have to stick to rooibos, which doesn’t feel overly exciting if I only get to have one single cup in a day.

- More tea, because I’ve been really, really curious about French Lupicia and how they handle their stuff. I mean, Frenchies, I love you, but tread lightly, this is Lupicia we’re talking about. They’ve been an absolute dream, though – great service, fair tea selection which seems to be expanding at a solid pace, surprisingly modest shipping and quite adequate delivery speeds.

The tea (wow, that sure took a while to get to) smells insane in the bag, as always – more like peach candy than natural peach, but still without coming off artificial. It’s that typical Lupicia mind game that I can’t explain, but it presents all pure and perfect. The same goes for the brewed tea – light, clean and fresh both in the nose and the cup. It hits just the right peach note, because not only do I get the juicy fruitiness, but also the complex tart bite of the skin, which is baffling.

This is definitely light for a black tea, but that’s what I expected and what makes this so accessible to me. I do prefer my greens, whites and oolongs, and I love knowing there are black teas I can keep around that don’t feel like a full meal to take on.

Now I just need to figure out which Lupicia store I want to live close to, and plan my life accordingly. Priorities.

[From my Lupicia order to Rome, April 2014.]

Ysaurella

no way for a French marketing service of whoever/whatever to call a product momo…;) you now we are snobbish and Momo is the nickname we give to the truck drivers cliché…eh oui, Momo dans son camion, the big guy with a dirty tee shirt and not an once of refinement vociferating against other drivers…which tea would he drink ?
To discover it I need to plan a visit rue Bonaparte in Paris.They seem to have a tea for all of us and that’s great !

keychange

I always love your notes!

Stephanie

What keychange said :)

Next time I’ll definitely steep this a bit longer, although you can definitely taste the peach- it’s strong but not overpowering. This tea has a bit less robust taste than most other Lupicia blends I’ve tried, but I chalk that up partly to the decaf and partly to a shorter-than-usual steep time (I usually like to steep my black teas for at least 4 minutes but I wanted to take care the first time I was steeping this one).

I’ve never met a Lupicia tea I didn’t like, and this one is no exception- it came in the mail today from Dinosara and it’s fantastic! I was skeptical about decaf teas but I’ve found myself liking them more and more recently now that I have to wake up for work every morning- can’t have a full-strength cup of tea with dinner anymore!