Chocolate & Strawberry Puer

Pu-erh Tea
Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS

• “If anyone is afraid of puer or even actively dislikes it, but wants to drink it, here is the tea for you. Rich, decadent, dark chocolate aroma fills the room and courts your tastebuds. Then...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1770 tasting notes
  • “I've officially had a terrible day. I decided it was time to break into some comforting tea that does not require thinking. I just need something tasty and uplifting. This tea is doing very...” Read full tasting note
    Mercuryhime 484 tasting notes
  • “mmmm another backlog from yesterday. I decided to open this one up since it's been ages since i had it and i wanted to see if i still love it. and i do. :) I like the subtleness of the...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4046 tasting notes
  • “*Thank you Ashmanra for this lovely sample!* This all came about after a review of Spice and Tea Exchange's Chocolate and Strawberry Puer...and Ashmanra (probably others also) were wondering if...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 672 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Decadent with chocolate on the nose finishing with the juicy tart flavor of ripe strawberries. The rich flavors of puer tea and chocolate also work wonderfully with milk.

About Lupicia View company

This tea is awesome! It has a great balance of flavors of the chocolate/strawberry and puer. I love how this tea doesnt have that distinct puer flavor and that additional flavors can come through. I like the deep chocolate flavor and the sweet strawberry finish to it. This is a great tea :)

Mad_Alyss_14

But i still like the Sunny Fruits Puer better :P

I have finally come to the end of the sample that I got from Rie and it is a shame because I have been enjoying this tea! I could have sworn I wrote a tasting for it before, but I don’t see it now. Could have slipped my mind. The most prominent flavor I get is the strawberry which is really nice with a bit of sugar. I think I can pick up on the chocolate and the puer base I can only describe as heavy, earthy and grounded, which is a strange translation for a taste. It isn’t hitting me as super caffeinated, which is good or bad depending on the type of day I am having. So far I don’t think I have found a Lupicia tea that has disagreed with me and I’m glad I got to try one of their puers. I’ll be considering this one on my next Lupica purchase.

Lupicia had this one in-store this week when I went to buy more stuff from them. You know I was a little nervous to try Pu’erh given the “it tastes fishy” comments I’ve heard from people. But actually this one was quite nice. Someone else on here mentioned, it’s like “Pu’erh with training wheels” – which I think is a good comment. It was quite nice, the blend of chocolate and strawberries was mild and it’s holding back any sort of intense gross flavour – so I think it was a good intro :) I’m gonna try a more “true” pu’erh soon and see if I like it or if I think it’s gross. I’m nervous about it for some reason. I think because I smelled one at Lupicia and it smelled like a fish market! This one certainly didn’t and seems to be holding back the crazy well. A good intro.

I am new to the Pu’er/Puerh teas after a coworker recommended I try them, so I can’t comment on the Pu’er flavoring. I can, however, recommend it on everything else. The chocolate aroma is so rich, with quite a bright strawberry popping out. It’s become one of my favorites to buy in a sachet to have in my work pack so I can make some any time.

Flavors: Chocolate

205 °F / 96 °C 4 min, 0 sec 2 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

This tea smells like chocolate strawberry. It’s so good I don’t ever want to drink it; I could stand there and huff the bag all day. I couldn’t do that though. That’s just silly.

So I steeped it for 2 minutes. It smells so strongly of chocolate strawberry that the first few sips were disappointing! It tasted like muted strawberry chocolate with earthy puerh… But a few sips after that I paid more attention to the flavour and I feel like this is a flavourful blend I will want to resteep later this afternoon. And probably re-stock when I do my eventual order… The puerh is noticable but not overwhelmingly earthy/dirty etc and it goes well with the sweetness of the chocolate strawberry.

This was part of the shared order with Sil and Kittenna and I have to say that whoever picked this one did a good job! Thanks! I didn’t really pick much out myself but I’m happy with the Lupicia teas that we decided to share.

Dustin

I really like this tea! Now I want a cup after reading about it!

Cavocorax

I hope you have some near by?

Dustin

I do! :)

Stephanie

I wanna try it!

donkeytiara

I agree with your review. I think this tea is a good way to try pu’er for the first time, so the “barn floor” taste doesn’t take a new pu’er-er down for the count. :)

I AM BEATING MYSELF UP FOR NOT TRYING THIS TEA SOONER! Sooo good! The dry leaf smells like a strawberry milkshake. Chocolate Strawberry Puer steeped up tastes like melted milk chocolate over an earthy pu’er base. End of sip, a really nice tart strawberry takes over and lingers for awhile.

The pu’er base is key here – it’s mellow and not fermented at all. Perfect for someone wanting to try pu’er. Its rich enough to be able to ID it as pu’er, but not too wild so it pairs well with the chocolate. Also, Chocolate Strawberry Pu’er tastes just like those japanese Meiji strawberry chocolates.

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/chocolate-strawberry-puer-lupicia-oolong-owl-tea-review/

Boiling 1 min, 45 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Anna

I am SO EXCITED there is so much Lupicia love on my dash lately!

Dkcox50

Yum! I agree that’s it is a very tasty tea! I’m on my second bag…have been drinking this tea for about a year and a half. Will probably always want to have some around.

Sipdown!! (178)

Thank you Kat_Maria for sharing this with me. It is not one I would have chosen for myself because I am not a fan of pu’erh and yet, I found myself salivating when I smelled the strawberry milkshake scented teabag.

Sipping on it now, it is not as bad as I anticipated. The strawberry flavor comes through but the earthy pu’erh is the most prominent in the cup and for that reason, I am not a fan. I am glad I got the chance to try it though :). One more tea to cross off my list.

A sample from the lovely Dinosara. Thank you! :)

It is what it says on the package! Chocolate and strawberry. A little more candy-like to me, but really tasty nonetheless. The chocolate tastes like a darker chocolate than it smells like, which is interesting. That’s probably some depth from the puerh.

Anyways, I really do like it, and the tea bags make it super easy. This would be something to consider getting for work. :)

Flavors: Chocolate

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 295 ML

It’s almost two in the morning, there’s a pot of strawberry vanilla bean jam bubbling merrily on the stove (I keep sneaking tastes even though I know it’s not done yet), and this tea is the perfect companion. I got up early today to go to a yoga class (yin yoga, which is new to me but oh so satisfying) and followed it up with a couple hours of rock climbing. It’s been a long day, and there’s another one tomorrow (way too much bureaucratic nonsense to deal with), but right now there’s a cup of tea that reminds me of dusty strawberry fields under the hot sun, and the crickets chirping incessantly, and the scent of jam filling the kitchen, so it’s all okay.

In the cup at work today.

This was the tea we recommended to trend-hopping puer drinkers back in my cafe days. You know, the ones who specifically asked for it because it would supposedly make them thinner. I forgot I still had it in my stash and was in the mood for puer.

Dry, this stuff can have the notorious fishy odor of puer as an aftersmell when it’s fresh but it’s not unpleasant. Then again, I like barbecued sardines so fishy isn’t really a problem.

Drinking it, I remembered why we rec’d it to first-timers. It’s all strawberry in the cup and on the tongue, no discernible chocolate to me but still good. Even my tea-drinking high schoolers who usually ask to try whatever weird tea I have really enjoyed it.

It also doesn’t taste a bit like puer, which is supposed to be a little challenging. This puer is tasty, but also a bit like drinking Tennessee Honey and telling yourself you like Jack Daniels.