Chocolate & Strawberry Puer

Pu-erh Tea
Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Strawberry, Chocolate, Earth, Sweet, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS

From Lupicia

Decadent with chocolate on the nose finishing with the juicy tart flavor of ripe strawberries. The rich flavors of puer tea and chocolate also work wonderfully with milk.

About Lupicia View company

This tea is awesome! It has a great balance of flavors of the chocolate/strawberry and puer. I love how this tea doesnt have that distinct puer flavor and that additional flavors can come through. I like the deep chocolate flavor and the sweet strawberry finish to it. This is a great tea :)

Mad_Alyss_14

But i still like the Sunny Fruits Puer better :P

I really love this tea. It has been pretty reliably delicious, but all my tea has been tasting a bit off and less yummy lately, this one included. I had a cup of three friends the other day that just seemed weak and it’s not even old! What is wrong with me?! Or is it that I’m traveling and don’t have my variable temp kettle? What ever it may be, this tea was much less delightfull than in the past and it makes me sad. I hope my senses come back to me and I love my tea again.

Skysamurai

Could it be what you are drinking it in?

Lupicia had this one in-store this week when I went to buy more stuff from them. You know I was a little nervous to try Pu’erh given the “it tastes fishy” comments I’ve heard from people. But actually this one was quite nice. Someone else on here mentioned, it’s like “Pu’erh with training wheels” – which I think is a good comment. It was quite nice, the blend of chocolate and strawberries was mild and it’s holding back any sort of intense gross flavour – so I think it was a good intro :) I’m gonna try a more “true” pu’erh soon and see if I like it or if I think it’s gross. I’m nervous about it for some reason. I think because I smelled one at Lupicia and it smelled like a fish market! This one certainly didn’t and seems to be holding back the crazy well. A good intro.

A longtime perennial in my tea cabinet, and one of my favorite Lupicia teas, despite my general dislike for puer. There seem to be real dried strawberries and cocoa nibs blended in there, which is amazing! It’s worth brewing for a full three minutes to really bring out the smoky-bitter chocolate and puer flavors.

Taken straight, this tea is as dark as coffee, and the bitter cocoa flavor comes through strongly. It combines with the smokiness of the puer for an almost coffeelike experience, although milder and (to this non-coffee-drinker) much more palatable. The strawberry just floats around subtly as a warm, pleasant aftertaste in the mouth.

Add a dash of sugar and cream, however, and the whole character of the drink is transformed. The sweet strawberry flavor leaps to the fore, and the cocoa notes combine with milk to create a texture and flavor almost like fruity hot chocolate. The puer recedes to a background hint, just enough to give it a little personality.

I enjoy it either way, but drunk as a latte, it’s my go-to dessert tea for relaxing and playing video games on a chilly evening.

Flavors: Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Strawberry

One teabag yielded a strong 8oz steep, then two milder 8oz steeps. The fourth steep has color but not a lot of flavor. First steep is seedy/jammy, earthy toast. Second is a light fruity strawberry. Third is a mild pu-erh tea. Fourth is a bit earthy water.

Boiling

Puerh is my favorite tea. This is an excellent, flavored puerh. It is very different from a traditional puerh because of the flavoring. Somehow it reminds me more of a flavored black, but without any bitterness, astringency, or malt. The strawberry flavor is prominent, followed by the chocolate. The flavor of the puerh is a distinct third. Because of that it is probably an excellent puerh for non puerh drinkers to try. There is basically no fermentation flavor detectable in this tea. I rate this as probably the best flavored puerh I have drank, although not the best puerh. I also don’t think this one would benefit as much from Gongfu brewing as a traditional puerh. I brewed this western style and it tastes amazing.

I brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with 3 tsp leaf and boiling water for 30 sec.

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 3 tsp 18 OZ / 532 ML

This tea has been on my wishlist for a while now, and beelicious was kind enough to send along a sample in our recent swap. It was just as good as I was hoping it would be! The scent is so decadent: just like real chocolate-covered strawberries! And the flavor is rich and fruity and perfectly bittersweet. No funky taste from the puerh base at all. I think I’m going to have to purchase this one when my sample runs out!

Flavors: Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Strawberry

AllanK

I bought this in my Lupicia order. I’m glad you liked it. I still have to try it. Maybe tomorrow morning.

Nichole

It’s on my list to try tomorrow. Sounds delish.

Inkling

I hope you both enjoy it as much as I did! :)

AllanK

I have to start using the wishlist feature. I don’t think I have any teas on my wishlist.

Yummy yummy. This goes on the ‘to buy’ list. It’s very decadent.

From the Cooking TTB

This reminds me of chocolate cake with fresh strawberries. Maybe that should be one of the recipes I post?

The Cookie Lady

I vote yes!!

Mmmmmm….okay, I’m about to get really specific. Have you ever gotten one of those chocolate-covered strawberries that is so big you can’t possible eat it in one go? So, you crack the outer shell and bite through to the strawberry and just enjoy? And then, when you go back for the second (or third) bite, you get a whiff of that super delicious smell of chocolate and fresh strawberry juice?
This.
This smells exactly like that.
The taste, however, is a touch more towards the neapolitan milkshake arena of chocolate-strawberry goodness.
So fantastic. Oh man.

rosebudmelissa

That does sound delicious!

Having not had much experience much experience with pure teas, I can’t give much info on the puer. I love the strawberry and chocolate but I did need a touch of sweetener.

I don’t know how many resteeps I should get from this but I’m on 4Xs and going strong.

This definitely one for the wish list. I have two more sachets which I will cherish!

Thanks KatBender!!