Tochiotome Green

Green Tea
Cream, Grass, Strawberry
Edit tea info Last updated by bookshark

From Lupicia

Japanese green tea is scented with the fresh and juicy aroma of “TOCHIOTOME”, the representative strawberry cultivar of Japan.

Recommended: Steep in boiling water for1.5-2 min

About Lupicia View company

Hooray for boring Sundays! Nothing like a day where I do not have to work or leave the house. I can just cook myself a hangover breakfast, do laundry, listen to podcasts, and make DIY Christmas presents for the fam. Oh, and drink cup after cup of tea until my bladder and/or liver gives out. I am so glad to have these two specific days again, I don’t think I have had true weekends since I was 14. Ahh.

One of the teas I rummaged for today is this lovely green. I love the art on Lupicia’s tins. I think that is the reason I bought the tea, heh. Not usually a fan of strawberry flavored greens, I do enjoy this one from time to time. The leaves themselves are wide, and a bit more broken up than I ’d like in a sencha blend. The resulting tea has a bit of a strong and bitter grassy note than I would prefer, but the sweet and fun strawberry tackles it into submission. There is also a rounding cream note that conjures up memories of what I used to fondly call, “Pink Milk.” Which is, as (hopefully) you all know, is strawberry milk. The only way to get me to go near a glass of milk was to pour in that artificially colored strawberry syrup at a ratio of 1:1.

When a tea conjures up fond childhood memories, it is usually a winner in my book. This tea is no exception. It’s shamelessy fun, fruity, and not serious. It’s going to taste so much better in the spring time, if it lasts that long.

Flavors: Cream, Grass, Strawberry

Strong strawberry flavor, even on this old sample teabag! A bit fussy temp-wise though — I brewed about 1-2 degrees too hot and 30-45 sec too long and it got bitter that easily.

Flavors: Grass, Strawberry

Sipdown!! (159)

Thank you Dustin for this sweet strawberry tea but I am just not loving the base enough to warrant buying 50g as it is a touch vegetal for my tastes. I certainly enjoyed the sample though and am grateful for the chance to have tried something new.

Oh man this smells crazy good in the bag! It is this intense juicy strawberry smell with a slight tartness. The instructions say to steep it at boiling water for 1-2 minutes which seems really strange for a green tea. I’m doing a lower temp for my first cup. Once steeped the tea smells fine, but the leaves have a hint of canned cat food scent. WTH?!
Sipping now… there is a strong strawberry taste, a little tart with an almost gummi type flavor to it. I’m not crazy about it so far, but I think I’ll try steeping it the way Lupicia suggests and see if that works out any better. When I ordered, I saw that they have a couple types of strawberry flavored tea and I wonder how this variety (the Japanese variety of strawberry) differs from their others.

canned cat food LOL ewwwww

I know, right?! I have been having the strangest flavors come out in tea lately. Cat food, smoked lox, baby powder.

I almost got this today but now I’m glad I didn’t :)

It could (and likely is) just me. My sense of smell has been inconsistent lately.

I did do the second steep in boiling water and it was bitter once it cooled. I’m sticking with lower temps for my greens.

you should never really use boiling water for green tea

Just OK. I don’t think strawberry flavor goes well with green tea.

A very good tea. Not as much strawberry flavor as I thought it would have (from the smell), but very good none the less.

I made a ton of this yesterday and then iced it and added a little Christmas Berry honey from . It was pretty good but I didn’t get much of the strawberry flavor. Next time I’ll steep it hotter—I have a feeling that will help.