Daruma

Edit tea info Last updated by tina

• “Woah. This is an interesting cup. Its a savory tea, with a little aftertaste of spicy pepper. The downside to this is that there is a little bitter undercurrent, but its not overwhelming. This is...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 903 tasting notes
  • “Whoa, I was not expecting to like this as much as I do. Had for afternoon tea with R over king cake. I was a bit wary because of its description as a fruity black tea, but it's delicious. I...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 612 tasting notes
  • “Firstly, the description of this tea is just gross. Also, since when are eyelids generally discarded? anyway, as gross as this sounds.... ITS AMAZING! I dont know what kind of fruit is in it,...” Read full tasting note
    tina 69 tasting notes
  • “First sip without sweetener - blea. Bitter, annoying, harsh. Then, I added sweetener. And the birds did sing, the rabbits did romp, and all creatures great and small stopped to celebrate...” Read full tasting note
    wombatgirl 411 tasting notes

From Lupicia

A blend of black tea and Indian fruit. According to legend, this tea was created from the discarded eyelids of a monk called Daruma.

About Lupicia View company

Woah. This is an interesting cup.
This is going to be an interesting tea to have.

Whoa, I was not expecting to like this as much as I do. Had for afternoon tea with R over king cake. I was a bit wary because of its description as a fruity black tea, but it’s delicious. I don’t know exactly what fruit(s) they allude to, but I get kind of a peach (or is it apricot?) and pineapple vibe, very aromatic. And the peppercorn tinge is perfect, giving the dizzying fruity fragrance and juiciness a little sharpened, edgy zip to adhere to. It reminds me slightly of the sweet-savory-fresh peach, tomato, fresh herb, and pepper salads I like to make on summer’s hottest evenings. I have a feeling this would make fantastic coldsteeped tea once the weather warms up. As is, it’s wonderfully refreshing, interesting, and balanced uniquely between juicy sweet and tart and spicy, a little like some Indian pickles and salads (as others mention, the peppercorn gives the fruit a uniquely yummy savory edge). I really dig it and am glad I gave it a chance. Would restock!

anyway, as gross as this sounds…. ITS AMAZING! I dont know what kind of fruit is in it, and i dont care as long as i can keep drinking it. I cant even describe the fruit because its not like any fruit im familiar with. I originally got it as a sample and bought it straight away. and when its gone i will buy it again.

Angrboda

If memory serves me it has something to do with a Bhuddist legend. The monk was meditating but he kept falling asleep, so in frustration he cut his eyelids off and threw them away, and where they landed tea trees grew, and he then used the tea to help him stay awake while meditating.

Or something of that sort. It’s just off the top of my head. I’d go look it up, but the book I think I read it in first is all the way down at the other end of the flat… ;)

tina

he really should have skipped the cutting off his own eyelids part and gone straight to the tea part.

Angrboda

No, I mean tea trees grew where his eyelids landed because of the eyelids landing there, they weren’t there before. :)

tina

what im saying is that i would try caffeine before resorting to cutting off my eyelids. Or was this the first ever tea? or just the first eyelid tea? cos normal tea would do for keeping him awake.

Angrboda

First ever tea, supposedly. :)

wombatgirl

Per the current description on their website, it says this is mango. I’ve got a cup cooling next to me, so I’ll be trying it soon. It smells AMAZING

CHAroma

“Firstly, the description of this tea is just gross.” Seriously! I had to re-read it twice to make sure it didn’t actually have anyone’s eyelids in it. Eew.

First sip without sweetener – blea. Bitter, annoying, harsh.

Then, I added sweetener.

And the birds did sing, the rabbits did romp, and all creatures great and small stopped to celebrate the goodness of this tea.

Fruity, slightly spicy, and sweet, with a hint of bitter on the back-end. I think I’ll need to steep this with more leaf for less time next time (which is a little scary, I used quite a bit this time). Maybe the same amount of leaf with less time. That may kill the bitter and allow for less sweetener, but wow. Very nice once sweetened.

Stephanie

It’s amazing what a little sweetener can do…“just a spoonful of sugar….” :)

The tea description here seems so weird and wrong! The Japanese description on the official website is a lot more appetizing: it’s an Indian black tea with pink pepper and the sweetness of mango.

Don’t be put off by the problematic English description… this is a nice, sweet tea! The fragrant fruity flavours completely steal the show – nothing tastes really like mango, but instead it’s like apricot + sakurambo. The addition of pink pepper leads me to expect spiciness, but there’s only a hint of pepper which adds an interesting twist to the tea. I love this blend!

Ah, I love this tea! It smells wonderfully sweet in the bag, very fruity. There are little cubes of dried fruit in this blend, along with dark pink peppercorns. When you steep it, you start to smell the pepper a bit more, but the aroma remains mostly fruity. I just wish Lupicia’s site specified which fruits are included in this tea… I know there’s dried mango in here, and I also detect hints of peach and maybe even pineapple. Anyway, it’s delicious! Sweet and tropical with golden fruits and just a hint of husky pepper. Also, the tea base is surprisingly smooth, for a black tea. Not as strong or astringent as the bases in a lot of flavored black teas I’ve tried. Still has the bitter aftertaste of a black tea, though, and the pepper note accentuates this. (It’s perfect for someone like me, who craves those sweet/spicy flavors!) For anyone who wants a sweeter version, I highly recommend adding honey or some other sweetener. It eliminates the bitterness, and really brings out the fruit.

Overall, this is one of my favorite teas from Lupicia! I have to say, I’ve enjoyed all the flavored teas I’ve tried from them. Especially the sweet fruity ones. I even bought a few of the tropical blends for my friends, and they’re all hooked.

By the way, I’m not sure where the description about the monk’s eyelids came from… On the Lupicia USA site, the description for this tea is, “Black tea with refreshing sweet fruit cuts and pink peppers which look like Daruma are added.” Which I thought was really cute!

For anyone who’s curious, daruma are a type of Japanese doll. They’re round and squat, and usually red. They often start out with blank eyes. When you buy one, you’re supposed to draw the pupil in one of their eyes, and make a wish. Then you fill in the other eye when your wish comes true. (They were named after a famous monk called Bodhidharma; it looks like the eyelid reference has to do with some of the folklore surrounding him?) I just wanted to mention that here, because I thought the idea of the peppercorns being tiny daruma dolls was adorable. I’ll have to try brewing a cup around New Year’s… There’s supposed to be a tradition of buying new dolls around that time. (Sort of like New Year’s resolutions, maybe?)

Anyway, I would heartily recommend this tea! Especially to anyone who enjoys fruit-flavored blacks. (Sometimes I open up the bag just to smell the dry leaves… Yum.)