Sencha Kanaya

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by MJ

1 Tasting Note View all

• “When this tea came, my first impression was that it smelled a lot like nori. I am a sushi fan, so this is a good thing. I finally got around to making it today and it tastes like nori, too. It's...” Read full tasting note
    karykeion 54 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Sencha with an elegant sweet aroma and rubbing into small-size leaves.

About Lupicia View company

1 Tasting Note

When this tea came, my first impression was that it smelled a lot like nori. I am a sushi fan, so this is a good thing. I finally got around to making it today and it tastes like nori, too. It’s very astringent but kind of sweet at the same time, and there’s a sort of toasty feeling at the back of your mouth exactly like the taste that eating nori sheets will give you.

I think I oversteeped this, though; the description says it’s supposed to be “elegant” but it sort of hit me over the head with gratuitous amounts of taste, like HI I’M A HIGH-GRADE JAPANESE GREEN TEA!! CAN YOU TELL??? The next time I make this, I’m definitely going to try it at just one minute. I think there’s a lot more sweetness in there that’s not coming out because I left it in too long.

EDIT 6/16/11: I’ve finally figured this tea out! I think I steeped it correctly this time and I got all the flavors. All of them.

This tea starts out kind of smooth and sweet when it hits your tongue. There’s a little vegetal kick at the back, and then when you swallow, the vegetal taste turns into delicious, toasty nori. The nori stays and becomes a whole aftertaste. This is an effing excellent tea.

I Would Certainly Consider Buying It Again.