Sencha "Chiran"

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “Tea of the morning here! My Boyfriend is trying to transition off of coffee to green tea because of stress issues so I thought we would try this one to start with. As far as senchas are concerned...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2398 tasting notes
  • “This tea made me happy today! I think this is the last of my Lupicia tea bag samples. I was hoping it wasn't flavored, and it wasn't! This is a nice, smooth sencha. I saw the spiky dark green...” Read full tasting note
    oOTeaOo 1592 tasting notes
  • “I probably wouldn't connect the aroma to sweet potatoes if they hadn't said so. To me, it just smells like authentic green tea. I'm actually on the verge of dislike. (I generally dislike senchas...” Read full tasting note
    CHAroma 517 tasting notes
  • “This is not my usual sencha from Lupicia (I prefer their Yame blend), but it came as part of the “happy bag” (福袋) I purchased during the New Year 2014 promotion. This must be a deep-steemed...” Read full tasting note
    mbrictson 10 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Smooth green tea with a sweet aroma similar to sweet potatoes.

About Lupicia View company

Tea of the morning here! My Boyfriend is trying to transition off of coffee to green tea because of stress issues so I thought we would try this one to start with. As far as senchas are concerned it is slightly sweeter than some I have tried but it definitely has a seaweed-y type of flavor. I liked it and so did he. I sent him home with some sencha teabags. I might make this a green tea day myself.

In other news, I went to the doctor yesterday and he has signed me off of work for an additional two months…. :-/

Cheri

Two more months is a long time, but obviously you need it. :( I’m glad the tea went over well with the BF.

TeaBrat

Thank, my most immediate concern is just money. I need to put myself on a budget! Luckily I have enough tea to last for at least 6 months I would guess. ;-)

This tea made me happy today! I think this is the last of my Lupicia tea bag samples. I was hoping it wasn’t flavored, and it wasn’t! This is a nice, smooth sencha. I saw the spiky dark green leaves and I was happy! The scent was like nori and fresh and light. The brew was a nice yellow-green. The taste was mellow and refreshing. There was no astringency at all, and it went down smooth! Delicious! This is a nice sencha that has a sweet aftertaste. It is fresh and green.

I probably wouldn’t connect the aroma to sweet potatoes if they hadn’t said so.
To me, it just smells like authentic green tea.

I’m actually on the verge of dislike. (I generally dislike senchas though. I’ve only recently started enjoying them). I can drink this one cup, but I wouldn’t drink it all the time.

But if you’re an avid sencha lover, you’d probably love this tea.

This must be a deep-steemed sencha, judging by the texture of the dry leaves. There are some needles here and there, but most of the leaves are pulverized. The aroma is still fresh, grassy, and sweet. Not bad for a tea purchased in January!

Lupicia’s packaging mentions hints of “sweet potato”. I didn’t pick that up in the dry leaves: to me they have that same sweetness I associate with Kyushu sencha in general. Upon steeping though, I think I get it. There is a nice savory aroma that also comes through in the taste. With practice, maybe I could pinpoint sweet potato. In any case, the taste is good.

The brew was cloudy with a lot of tea particles that settle to the bottom of the cup. Some nice umami was hiding in those dregs! A good, rich fuka-mushi sencha with a classic flavor.

5g leaves, 5oz water @ 160°F, 45 seconds.

160 °F / 71 °C 0 min, 45 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Maybe I’m just not as good at tasting the subtle difference between senchas as I ought to be, but this basically tastes like Kanaya overall. It smells sweeter, though, and less like nori, which isn’t bad! at all! They’re just delicious in different ways.

There’s something interesting going on at the back of the mouth, though, that Kanaya didn’t have. They both have the astringent kick (I guess this is just a sencha thing, all you Japanese tea aficionados can laugh at me now), but this is sharper. I think it’s just a fuller flavor without being overpowering.

I’m going to have to try more types of sencha to see if I can learn to separate their flavors better. This is another tasty one, though! Too bad my only sample is gone now.

This is a very mild sencha. A light grassy aroma, no bitterness, with a sweet finish. I can’t say it is special but this calming tea is good for a quiet Saturday morning. :)

I didn’t find this sencha to be that memorable really. I didn’t get the hint of sweet potatoes it mentioned and I felt that the sencha was actually quite mild. When I open up a satchet of Sencha, I want to be engulfed in the vegetal scent of rich, grass-green sencha. I didn’t get that with this Lupicia tea. I got a weak flavored tea that wasn’t as full-bodied as I would have liked.

175 °F / 79 °C