Banane Chocolate

Black Herbal Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Ricky

• “This is another tea from the wonderful package that *ifjuly* sent me. This tea is more banana than chocolate. It's nice real banana, not fake icky banana. The chocolate is really subtle....” Read full tasting note
    Dexter3657 578 tasting notes
  • “Yay I have found a tea that smells like very ripe sweet banana, not just banana candy! I was beginning to figure it was an impossible thing to capture in tea. As it steeps the aroma becomes more...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 606 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to *Dexter3657* for this! Seriously, the swap box that I received from her is amazing and I am having a fantastic time trying all of these teas! Anyway, the dry leaf of this didn't really...” Read full tasting note
    jeweledthumb 240 tasting notes
  • “When I was a little girl, we'd go to the Renaissance Fair every summer, and at some point during the day my mother would buy me a monkey's tail. These treats were bananas dipped in chocolate and...” Read full tasting note
    fashion_piranha 120 tasting notes

From Lupicia

The sweet aroma of banana and chocolate, together with bright yellow flower petals, can’t help but make you happy. The sweetness of this tea makes it popular with children.

About Lupicia View company

This is another tea from the wonderful package that ifjuly sent me.

This tea is more banana than chocolate. It’s nice real banana, not fake icky banana. The chocolate is really subtle. (Confession – banana isn’t my favorite flavor – it’s not on the HATE list like mint – it’s more on the take it or leave it list). I would have been happier if this was more chocolate less banana, but for those of you looking for a nice banana tea, this is one you should check out.

TheTeaFairy

What? Banana? Chocolate? Yum.

Yay I have found a tea that smells like very ripe sweet banana, not just banana candy! I was beginning to figure it was an impossible thing to capture in tea. As it steeps the aroma becomes more candy-like, but it’s worth it for that initial hit of real banana. Yum!

The chocolate is relatively subtle compared to the banana, which I appreciate because chocolate teas are a dime a dozen but strong-real-not-candy-banana is…well, yeah, this is the first one I’ve encountered. And the chocolate IS definitely there, especially at the end of the sip—goes very well with the floral sweet banana notes. It really does evoke a chocolate-covered banana.

The tea base is not obtrusive but also not completely AWOL, a nice balance (if I’m in the mood for banana tea we’re so far off into the woods flavor-wise from tea’s standard notes I’m not exactly also in search of nuanced TEA-ish leaves anyway). Smooth, and the floral notes in very ripe banana linger at the end. Perfect for afternoon tea today with palmiers. Yum! Towards the end of his cup husband involuntarily went “mmmm!” which is his highest seal of approval, hee.

Thanks to Dexter3657 for this! Seriously, the swap box that I received from her is amazing and I am having a fantastic time trying all of these teas!

Anyway, the dry leaf of this didn’t really smell like much of anything, BUT then I added hot water and let it brew and the true banana scent that wafted up from the water was amazing. I tested it unsweetened and while it was nice, the banana flavor really pops when I added a bit of sweetener. To my taste buds, this tastes a little like the 52teas Banana Pudding but I’ll have to try some more of that to be sure and see which one I prefer. I don’t really taste chocolate, but that’s totally ok.

I have yet to make a Lupicia order, but I’d certainly add this in if I were to make one in the future. Yummy.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

oh man… i need a lupicia order..pretty sure this was on my list to try

When I was a little girl, we’d go to the Renaissance Fair every summer, and at some point during the day my mother would buy me a monkey’s tail. These treats were bananas dipped in chocolate and frozen – perfect in the scorching California sun. Now you can buy these frozen bananas in most grocery stores, but at the time this was the only place we knew to get them – so it was a special moment.

This happy childhood memory is what I wanted Banane Chocolat to invoke. It’s a nice, solid black tea. Lovely with milk. The banana is strong enough. Reminds me a bit of banana chips. The cocoa is more elusive. It’s there, I think…I can taste a little bit of its bitterness. But it’s either very light or overwhelmed by the banana.

I might try adding a little more tea next time for a stronger flavor, but I used 1.5 scoops when 1 is usually plenty. This may just be a very lightly flavored tea. Not a perfect imitation of a monkey tail, but there’s enough of the treat there that my nostalgia is satisfied.

I was kind of craving this today (which doesn’t happen often), so it tasted especially good. I really appreciate the strong banana note with the much more subtle chocolate in the background (I’m not a huge chocolate fan, especially in teas). I think the two flavours work really well together though. Perfect for a not-quite-spring-but-still-could-be-around-the-corner kind of day.

Thank you Dustin for sharing this with me. This has a great banana flavor. In fact, it is actually satisfying my craving for 52 Teas Banana Pudding Black Tea. However, it is even better because it has what tastes like a rich chocolate drizzle, just enough that it is noticeable without overpowering the banana flavor. So good!

ifjuly

i love this one, it’s what convinced me banana in tea can be good not gross, hee.

VariaTEA

I can see why. It really is awesome.

keychange

I’m waiting for my package from nay lynn to get here so I can savagely break into this!! skdjflkdsjflsjf!

VariaTEA

keychange, I actually thought of you the whole time I was drinking this. If you have not tried it yet, you are in for a treat. And if you have tried it, than you are still in for a treat,

Yes? Yes. This is a really great tea. It has ‘real’ banana flavours and just a little bit of chocolate flavoring on top of it. It really makes me think of the chocolate covered banana chips I buy from the bulk store. DELICIOUS.

I wonder how well Lupicia teas re-steep? I’ll have to find out.

Anna

They’re not overly resteepable, in my opinion – I feel it’s the same tea, but weaker and with less complexity, overall.

Cavocorax

Good to know especially since you’re such a big fan. I wish they offered shipping to Canada though.

Cavocorax

Also, my resteep was super weak, like you predicted.

Anna

It’s pretty good for me, though – I’m not big on resteeping, and I sort of feel, ‘Okay, done with this, moving on,’ like the leaf is spent and that’s it. So those oolongs and whatnot that you can resteep forever always come off as very daunting to me. Because what if I don’t have time, or feel like another cup?

VariaTEA

Anna, I am with you. I am not one for the resteeps. Mostly because I like to have a billion flavors a day. Sometimes I feel wasteful but other times I realize I have soo much tea that if I always resteeped, I would never get to a lot of my teas before they went bad and that would be even more wasteful. (and yes, I am aware my logic doesn’t really make all that much sense but shhhh because it comforts me :P)

Cavocorax

Yeah, I totally get that. I hate feeling pressured to resteep fancy teas, and feeling guilty for ‘wasting’. I do appreciate those teas when I’m in the mood but even then 3 is the most I resteep. My cups are 12-16oz, so that seems reasonable. How much of one tea can you drink?

Cavocorax

Anna – where do you get Lupicia teas from? I saw that you live in Italy and I know the US store doesn’t ship internationally… Do you just rely on connections? Or do they have other online stores?

how much of one tea can you drink….looootsssssss ;)

Cavocorax

In one sitting??? Ha. Maybe for you, but I can’t do it. I can set it aside for the next day…

so many things i want to drink….and yet there’s a giant box of samples taunting me…. TAUNTING ME!

VariaTEA

I think my cupboard is mostly samples too and there are drinks I want to have but can’t help but feel like I should be drinking the swap teas first.

Cavocorax

Yeah, I’m mostly focusing on samples. If I have teas that are sealed, I don’t want to break the seal yet, even though I’m really excited about my sealed Nina’s or Lupicia.

OMGsrsly

I still haven’t opened my Mandala order from black friday. :( :(

VariaTEA

I always plan to keep teas sealed but then that doesn’t always work out.

Dustin

I have to open all the teas when they arrive so I can smell them all and decide which to try first.
I have a hard time with the resteep 6x teas too. I just get bored and it feels like it goes on forever.

Cavocorax

Oh, Mandala. Damn, you just reminded me how I miss Special Dark!

This is the second banana tea I have had from Lupicia recently! I’m a little crazy for banana flavoring, real bananas not so much. It smells wonderful in the bag! I steeped it for two minutes to avoid any bitterness and the flavors were lighter than I was hoping for. I got a light banana flavor, but couldn’t pick out the chocolate. Adding sugar didn’t change it much for me. Second steep was for three minutes and the flavor might be a little more intense. I might try a longer initial steep in the future. I think I get a little bit of the chocolate now, but it mingles with the sweetness of the banana and is hard to pick out right now. I get a slightly floral aftertaste. Overall it’s not bad, but I think it could be better with some steeping adjustments.

Asante sana squash banana…yep good ol’ rafiki.

i cannot WAIT to go see the Lion King musical again…at least i hope we make it. So good… just like this tea. not so much chocolate, but delicious banana goodness, even after it was cold-ish

Final Count: 187

Fjellrev

Disney is pwning you hardcore right now.

Fjellrev

God I miss the fjords. Disney = crafty. That is so tempting!

they have some 7 night etc… advance sale for gold members starts tomorrow so i may call to get pricing… an excuse to go to england/france too after the cruise. but official pricing and everything will be up in 2 days

Fjellrev

Nice, I was wondering about that. My mom may actually be interested in that. That’s awesome they’re hitting up the Faroes too.

i’m thinking.. PRE wedding honeymoon cruise…that’;s a thing right?

Fjellrev

YES IT IS. No need to think twice here.

VariaTEA

Aww I miss Disney cruises. I went on one a few summer’s back and it was fun times.

ifjuly

this is one of my fave ’naner teas!