Sakura Houji

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I'm going to do a couple backlogs of new stuff now too. Someone on the tea subreddit works at Lupicia and offered to send me some of this after I said I couldn't believe sakura leaves were salty. I...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1195 tasting notes
  • “The tea contains salted cherry leaves, not cherries themselves, so the cherry flavor is more subtle than one would normally expect from "cherry" items. The aroma lingering in the empty glass is...” Read full tasting note
    AmberShrugged 5 tasting notes
  • “I found a tin lying around my parent's house, probably one of my sister's. I didn't know what to expect, the dry leaves smelled kind of off. I don't know how old the leaves are, but the brewed...” Read full tasting note
    flyawaybirdie 79 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Abundant salted young cherry leaves, are blended into quality houjicha.

About Lupicia View company

I’m going to do a couple backlogs of new stuff now too. Someone on the tea subreddit works at Lupicia and offered to send me some of this after I said I couldn’t believe sakura leaves were salty. I have really learned a lot about cherry blossom trees this year.

I should have probably looked around to see what a good water temp for a houjicha is but didn’t. I kind of probably went with something higher than I’d typically use for green tea, though doesn’t really matter, it tasted fine, but I think it could be improved.

The taste was interesting, mostly it tastes like houjicha, but then it’s just a bit salty, a little floral, and just faintly cherry. It’s definitely a unique mix of flavors.

I have enough for another couple cups to experiment with it. I’m just really excited I was able to try this without having to order it. Nobody else has written a note on it, so it was definitely unchartered waters for me.

The tea contains salted cherry leaves, not cherries themselves, so the cherry flavor is more subtle than one would normally expect from “cherry” items. The aroma lingering in the empty glass is sweeter and has more cherry notes than the tea itself, so it adds an interesting contrast altering between drinking each cup and wafting the aroma.

I found a tin lying around my parent’s house, probably one of my sister’s. I didn’t know what to expect, the dry leaves smelled kind of off. I don’t know how old the leaves are, but the brewed product was pretty nice. I couldn’t find this on the lupicia website so I don’t know if it’s seasonal or something else.

The first brew was green and nutty and vaguely grain-smelling. There was also an overlay of cherry blossom scent. Sweet and floral, and not too strong. I didn’t let it brew too long as I didn’t have any way of gauging temperature at my parent’s house, but it could have sat longer. As it cooled the grain came through more strongly and lent to the brew a chocolately, kind of malty(maybe?) smell. This made it even more sweet.

The second brew is even more nutty/chocolately, and barely floral. Surprisingly I’m getting hit with a terrible headache right now though, so I’ll probably continue this note later… maybe.