Sakura Houji

Hojicha
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by AmberShrugged

From Lupicia

“Abundant salted young cherry leaves, are blended into quality houjicha.”

Ingredients: roasted green tea, salted cherry leaves, aluminium potassium sulfate

About Lupicia View company

I’m going to do a couple backlogs of new stuff now too. Someone on the tea subreddit works at Lupicia and offered to send me some of this after I said I couldn’t believe sakura leaves were salty. I have really learned a lot about cherry blossom trees this year.

I should have probably looked around to see what a good water temp for a houjicha is but didn’t. I kind of probably went with something higher than I’d typically use for green tea, though doesn’t really matter, it tasted fine, but I think it could be improved.

The taste was interesting, mostly it tastes like houjicha, but then it’s just a bit salty, a little floral, and just faintly cherry. It’s definitely a unique mix of flavors.

I have enough for another couple cups to experiment with it. I’m just really excited I was able to try this without having to order it. Nobody else has written a note on it, so it was definitely unchartered waters for me.

The tea contains salted cherry leaves, not cherries themselves, so the cherry flavor is more subtle than one would normally expect from “cherry” items. The aroma lingering in the empty glass is sweeter and has more cherry notes than the tea itself, so it adds an interesting contrast altering between drinking each cup and wafting the aroma.

I didn’t follow these instructions, but this is what the label says for reference:
One 150ml (5floz) cup
Tea leaves: 2.5-3g
Water temp: boiling water
Brewing time: 1.5-2min
Infusion: 1-2 cups
Ingredients: roasted green tea (hojicha), salted cherry leaves, aluminium potassium sulfate

I’ve been enjoying the bag I got last time I found this in stock. Imagine my surprise to go back to the listing and find it was one of the very first teas I reviewed, but apparently not too favorably! Huh, how things change… or maybe I was wrong on the name of the tea. Who knows.

This tea is has a lovely sweet and mellowly roasted liquor that isn’t too overwhelmingly sweet like some of Lupicia’s other cherry teas, but isn’t very roasted either. It’s a very comforting taste to me and I wish it lasted longer than 2-3 steeps, as I think it’s a limited edition or perhaps seasonal thing. I wasn’t on their website last time I looked.

It reminds me of my love for roasted teas, that’s always good too. Yum.