Momo (Peach)

Edit tea info Last updated by Auggy

• “I am really bummed because my first package from the Verdant reserve tea of the month club accidentally shipped to my old address that I just moved from, and is now very far away. I realized it...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1851 tasting notes
  • “Peaches taste like summer to me. Which I miss. A lot. I seemed to like my cup today quite a bit more than I did last time, though I didn't change anything up. The peachy flavor didn't seem...” Read full tasting note
    moraiwe 598 tasting notes
  • “Thanks Auggy! YOU seriously ARE Awe-Awe-Awe-SOME! This is my LAST Black Tea today, SoccerMOM, promise! LOL This smells like Black Tea and Peach. FUZZY. YAY! Oh... Well... Aren't YOU a...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “steepster ate my note. I forgot to copy before hitting submit. *sigh* long story short, trying out some of my lupicia teas as cold brews to find something my other half will drink in the...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4044 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Flavored with only Japan-grown white peaches appreciated internationally, and blended with young peach leaves, this tea has a very fruity flavor.

About Lupicia View company

didn’t see the note about this being best iced until my kettle was boiling, so I went ahead and had it hot, with a bit of sourwood honey to bring out the peach flavor. Not bad, but probably would be better iced. I really need to work my way through this pile of Lupicia samples, and this seemed like a good place to start since it’s one of the few blacks I have from them.

I think I brewed this one too hot and scorched the peach flavor right out of it. Note to self: don’t do that! :(

This is a mildly flavoured tea so the peach flavour does not overwhelm flavourful black tea base. I was expecting something like Snapple but the peach flavour is much more subtle, like that of real peaches. A sweet and fruity cup that would probably taste amazing when iced. :)

Thanks TeaEqualsBliss – this is a tea that I probably would not have bought from Lupicia, not because I don’t love peach teas because I do, but because it seems like everyone’s got a peach tea, you know? But this one is amazing.

The peach essence is so authentic, that I can almost feel the fuzz of the peach! It is so very good. Probably the best peach tea I’ve ever tasted.

Janefan

Wow! Sounds great! I have such a backlog of Lupicia samples to brew, it’s sad…

This is a pretty decent tea. I think that momo goes better with green or white teas. The black teas I think overpower the peach flavor just a little bit. Good tea overall!

Last of this tea, which makes me feel really accomplished. Not so much because this tea is gone but because I’m getting rid of the little drips and drabs I’ve had around for so long because I don’t want to use them up. Well, time to purge.

This one is very peachy, but not Jolly Rancher peachy. More Japanese fruit gummy peachy. I like it. Probably won’t get more of it right now because peach-flavored things aren’t huge in my book (this one was purchased for the husband – he’s a huge peach fan), but I WILL be getting more Lupicia flavored blacks in the future. I love how they flavor things. They have the rare flavored black teas that I can actually drink with no milk or sugar. Good stuff.

Angrboda

I love getting rid of the littlest amounts. It clears up the tea cupboard and makes space for new purchases. Lots of new purchases. There’s nothing like an empty newly washed tin that says ‘fill me!’ It’s like if you have an empty tin, you automatically have permission to buy tea. :)

Auggy

Exactly! Yay! New tea potential – I love it!

Jillian

That’s my theory too, my boyfriend just rolls his eyes, however. :D

Luthien

Agree totally about how Lupicia flavours their fruit teas. Your post has just reminded me that I haven’t had any of their peach oolong since I got back – must fix that state of affairs asap! Just beware of anything from them with cherry leaves in it…

I got this sample from Rie a while back. Thanks Rie!
Dry this tea is giving me nothing. I’m guessing I have had it in a ziplock for about a year, so it really is no wonder. Once steeped, I can smell faint peach which really comes through in the flavor. I don’t think I can pick out the tea base, but the peachiness translates very well and realistically. It isn’t the juiciest of peaches, but is a well rounded interpretation. I suspect adding more sweetener would up the juice factor. This tea is good, but as I’m not a huge fan of peach, I’d likely pass on purchasing.

I’ve been drinking this for the past couple of days and have been getting markedly more peach flavor than I did when I first tried it (and wrote my initial tasting note). Although this black base is still not my all-time favorite, now that I’m getting some peach notes I’d actually say the base works better with peach than it does with some of Lupicia’s other flavorings. I’m raising my score several points.

Rie

Are you also finding Lupicia’s lighter tea bases to be better than the black tea base?

greenteafairy

I am – I think the bases they use for their greens tend to work quite well with the flavorings. They’re not very strong or vegetal, but I actually prefer that in a base for a flavored blend (though I enjoy stronger greens on their own). I’ve only had two Lupicia oolongs, one of which I loved but I know you didn’t(Ripe Mango) and one of which I disliked just because it was pineapple and I don’t really like pineapple. So I’ll withhold judgment there for now. I should say that I’m having trouble coming up with a flavored black tea I’ve really loved from any vendor(aside from chai, but that’s a different kind of thing), so it could well be that lighter flavored teas are more my thing. What have your experiences been with Lupicia’s bases?

Rie

I feel the same as you regarding their bases. The Ripe Mango oolong is pending final judgement (I think it’s a flavoring thing – needing to sit) but besides the black (so-so) and white (haven’t tried) all their other bases have worked so well with the tea. I wouldn’t be surprised if I changed my mind about the Ripe Mango either. I still have to try your Pineapple Oolong sample, that might happen today! I love pineapple.

I do like this Momo black, but I bet the genius flavoring would be enhanced by a better black base.

I picked up some Lupicia teas in the store last time I was in San Francisco. Probably the most delightful tea store I have ever been to, and if you’re ever near a Lupicia store, I’d highly recommend dropping by for a visit!

Momo was one of the teas I picked up during this trip. I figured I like peaches, and I love tea, why not try them together? I had a hot cup yesterday, and wasn’t particularly impressed. I detected a faint peach note aftertaste, but the black tea was predominant. I had also added a touch of rock sugar because I read that this brings out the peach flavor. Mostly tasted like those Japanese peach gummies, which I adore, but find strange to drink.

I decided to try it iced today, and boy, was that a treat! I have already had two large glasses, and imagine I probably won’t be sleeping much tonight. It is lovely on its own without sugar, and the peach note really sings when it is iced. Highly recommend it for the dog days of summer.

Smells the way it should: black tea and peaches.

I started playing around on Facebook and let the tea cool off too much before I tried it. Not good cold. Had to nuke it. But I digress.

Overall, it’s kind of bland. More so than I would expect from a black tea (I usually find black teas strong and need to dilute them with milk). It’s also been 80 degrees in my apartment for the past week, so it makes it harder to enjoy hot tea. I should probably switch to iced teas for a while. sigh But I digress again.

I added a little sweetener & I think that helps bring out the taste of the peaches more. I blame the selection of black tea leaves they chose for the base.

I steeped it for 3 minutes. Maybe less water would have been better? I sometimes get the water to leaves ratio off and always on the side of too much water.