Plum Barley

Fruit Herbal Blend
Coffee, Plums, Fruity, Roasted, Sweet
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 10 oz / 295 ml

From Lupicia

Aromatic six-rowed barley produced in Japan flavored with fresh unripe Japanese plum. It has a clear, refreshing flavor.

About Lupicia View company

This was a sample from The Cookie Lady! And considering I’m planning on seeing her again this Thursday I figured I’d finally try it. xD
Not a huge plum fan, but sometimes it’s good in teas.
But I think the main thing is that barley is NOT for me. xD Totally tastes like coffee.
The dry leaf smell was just plum, but then when I drank it the plum was barley there, and it was just coffee. If I wanna drink coffee, I’ll make some or go get some, but feels so wrong to have that flavor in my tea! XD Oy. Thanks for letting me try though, The Cookie Lady!

Flavors: Coffee, Plums

Kirkoneill1988

i never tried any kind of barley tea before :(

Ost

well you aren’t missing out! :P

Kirkoneill1988

if you say so then ill trust you that this tea is not a try asap kind :D

Well this is…. unique. Good but just… I can’t quite grasp how different it is from anything else I’ve tried. It kinda makes me think of hojicha in a way. Maybe it’s because of rhe toasty/roasty flavor. I thought I had tried it before but I don’t remember this strong a flavor! I do probably need more water though. And the plum! Umeboshi! Haha not quite but I do sense hints of that here and there.

Huzzah, I got my swap from Mikumofu with lovely Lupicia teas! She was stopping by Lupicia at the end of last week so I just told her to choose whichever teas she wanted to try and send me samples. I must say, I was pretty excited for these barley teas! They’re in sachet form, and dry scent is very sweet and strong plum. Lupicia’s website recommends 16.9 ounces of water per sachet, which seems insane to me. I ended up steeping mine in 10 ounces of boiling water for 3 minutes, and the flavor is still quite strong so 16 ounces might actually be okay for a lighter taste.

Whoa, this is a super roasty tea! I did not expect the flavor to be quite so strong. It almost reminds me of coffee with its strong roasty and almost bitter flavor. The plum flavor is very fruity and juicy, and just mildly sweet. The sweetness here is very clear and refreshing, like honeysuckle nectar. Overall, wow this is a powerful tea, and I might have to try my other sachet iced (which seems to be how they recommend it).

Flavors: Coffee, Fruity, Plums, Roasted, Sweet

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 295 ML
Mikumofu

Glad you enjoyed it, the barley surprised me the first time I tried it too!

Cameron B.

Thanks so much for the samples! I’ll be interested to see how different the lychee one is. :)

Dashboard seems frozen again, hmm… [E: it got unfrozen right after I posted, haha!]

This is an old favorite that I was happy to find again this year. The barley aroma and flavor is very strong and roasty with this one. The dark color and roasted fragrance are almost coffee-like, but without the other effects of coffee of course! The green plum flavor is very crisp and fresh, similar to that of the Ume Vert blend, another one of my favorites. Lupicia can be a bit heavy-handed with their fruit flavors, but their plum teas have been consistently good. As the evenings get cooler, I’m tempted to drink tea in later hours more and more, so this is a nice caffeine-free option. I’ve also tried cold brewing it, which brings out the plum aspect more, and is refreshing for those afternoons that feel too warm to be autumn yet.