Afternoon Tea

Edit tea info Last updated by Auggy

• “My review of this will not be that great because I'm stuffy and sleepy and doing my best to ignore the fact that there is still white stuff all over the ground outside. Thankfully not the 10...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “A lovely late afternoon tea when restoration is needed after errands! Paired with cookies, even better (http://bakerstreet.tv/2012/09/hazelnut-and-white-chocolate-chip-cookies/ -- they're...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown, 141. I sent the package of this that I got in my happy bag away in a swap a while ago, but I still had the sample bag kicking around. I figured I should at least try it, although I was not...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1964 tasting notes
  • “While my husband is working from home today I thought I should do my wifely duties and bake him a cake. I went for a chocolate marble cake and chose this tea to serve with it. There is nothing...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1083 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Strong and full-bodied Assam taste is made lighter by blending in Darjeeling. As it has a distinctive taste, it is also suitable for tea with milk.

About Lupicia View company

I’ve gotten a bit behind due to work and such, so I’m playing catch up with some reviewing today. This is a good standard tea. It reminds me some of the Prince Wales blend from Twinnings. It is a blend of several different kinds of teas, so the leaves are pretty non-homogeneous. The tea steeps up to a nice dark brown. To me, this tsates like a classic tea, and I enjoy it with a dash of soy creamer and sweetener.

This is the kind of tea I might order along with other teas to get free shipping. I like it, but if it wasn’t in the cabinet, I wouldn’t miss it. I’ll probably use it up pretty quickly, since it’s something you can reach for when you’re not in the mood for flavored teas, and I seem a little bit overwhelmed by the flavored black teas I have in the cabinet right now. I like them, but not everyday.

Backlogging from yesterday…

Grabbed this for my morning tea and forgot that it wasn’t as bold as I like (for a morning pick-me-up). It’s a really pleasant blend-light and smooth-but not quite strong enough to really wake me up. I have to remember to pay attention to its name next time!

This is a pretty basic and nice Assam/Darjeeling mix. A nice black tea, and that is pretty much all I can say about it. It is smooth and nonbitter.

This is hard for me to describe, but it’s a winner!

It reminds me of Twining’s English Breakfast or Lupicia’s Ceylon Uva, but it has a different taste. I definitely like it! It’s more light-bodied than the aforementioned, which makes it a nice alternative to English Breakfast (which can be heavy and almost “in your face” to me).

This is a very pleasant, easy going tea. It’s a winner for tea parties and for when I’m an old lady. This is one to remember.

I don’t even have to add milk or sugar! And that’s the best complement I could possibly give a black tea.

So I’m gunna try not to be a flavoured-tea tart for a minute and taste something serious. I won’t read the other reviews until I’ve finished. So this is an Assam Darjeeling , huh. I don’t know what that means really except that it’s black. The dry tea smells…like tea. (Try harder, Curls). It smells a bit minerally, a bit dusty, a bit mushroomy? I added boiling water and steeped until it looked a nice rich colour (this is an official measure of steep time). It tastes like ….tea. Barky. Faint astringency that wraps gently around the underside of your tongue.

Sadly I am nothing but a tea floosy, I am about to add frothed milk and a dash of chai syrup, so help me God. Ahhhhhh.

Ok I have just looked up Assam on Wikipedia and would totes agree in hindsight that it tastes “brisk”. I missed the “malty”. I got the tannic qualities of the Darjeeling (similarly googled), but would have described this blend as more earthy than fruity or floral. Perhaps I need to taste them separately.

Or with honey and lemon. No! Floosy.

Let me state right from the start I am really not the target audience for this tea. Unflavoured blacks are the hardest ones for me to stomach overall, and even though I’m still in the process of trying to figure out which base teas I actually like (considering I only come across them in flavoured blends) I do know I possibly take issue with darjeeling. Or assam. But I think darjeeling is the actual problem. And seeing as this is apparently a darjeeling-assam blend, all bets are off.

But hey, it was a free Lupicia sample bag, so how could I say no? Maybe if Lupicia were more readily available to me I’d feel I could afford a more cavalier attitude, but now it’s more like give me a free sample any sample I will perform tricks for samples okay just give me all the samples please come on I will sing for you and babysit although I can’t sing and loathe children please samples.

Scent wise, it’s just a bag of meh. Just black tea. That black tea scent. Same in the cup. It’s like that peppermint tea from Bluebird I tried the other day – I wish I liked this kind of tea, and this really is a fair cup of this kind of tea, so it honestly is all on me – but no.

I just don’t.

[Sample from my Lupicia spree at Westfield Valley Fair in Santa Clara, October 2013.]
[Sample polished off in Rome, February 2014.]

Terri HarpLady

I am the opposite of you, in that I tend to detest a lot of flavored teas, in part because I have reactions to some flavorings, especially the artificial ones. However, I do enjoy some flavored teas, sometimes. We can both agree in not being big fans of darjeeling, however, & I personally don’t care for ceylon. I do agree on samples though! :D

Anna

Aw, right – I remember reading you had a reaction to Momoko (also from Lupicia) which made me sad. That would definitely make me detest flavoured teas, too. But hey, I’m on a quest to try to figure out unflavoured greens a little better and it’s going pretty good so far. I’m sure I’ll be all gong-fu/pu’erh madness quite soon if I keep hanging out with you guys, haha.

Terri HarpLady

Hahaha, no doubt. One of my very first posts on steepster started with, “I need a Gaiwan”. Before I joined, I’d never even heard of one. I’d seen them somewhere, & I’d seen yixing pots & thought to myself, “Well, that’s ridiculously small, but adorable. Doesn’t hold much tea though.” Now I have 5 Gaiwans (why??) & 4 tiny teapots. And other teapots, many of which I already had. And lots of cups, & way too much tea. But I use them all, & will probably have more before it’s over with. Everyone has to have a hobby, right? :)

Anna

Hahaha, that’s so Steepster. I’m pretty sure most people wouldn’t consider tea your typical equipment-heavy hobby. Little do they know.

I got the teabag version of this tea. I like this tea. It has a nice mild flavor.

Another freebie from Lupicia.

This was a teabag, so I had no idea what kind of tea is was, other than “black,” but when I tasted it, I immediately knew there had to be some Darjeeling involved. Glad to see this vindicated!

This tea has an almost sweet aftertaste, kind of like honey. It’s bold and would go great with milk. I’d drink this for breakfast.