Watermelon Barley Tea

Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jules1
Iced 8 min or more

• “I have a confession to make....not that she should mind but if she does, i'll make it up to her... you see, i have a whole bunch of tea at my place...that belongs to other ppl. And most of the...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4942 tasting notes
  • “Went to Lupicia in SF this morning, got back at 1, left for the airport at 3, flight left at 7 and now I am almost 400 miles away from home dang. But I picked this tea up because I've been looking...” Read full tasting note
    jump62359 593 tasting notes
  • “I cold-brewed this with a little bit of sugar. It's excellent as an iced tea. The barley tea flavor sort of dominates the tea, so there's only a hint of the watermelon once this brews, but it's...” Read full tasting note
    crystalusagi 32 tasting notes
  • “Brew this cold to get the watermelon flavour. If you brew it hot and then ice it, you might not notice it. I've never had barley tea before so I didn't really know what to expect. It has a roasted...” Read full tasting note
    Jules1 30 tasting notes

From Lupicia

“Aromatic six-rowed barley produced in Japan flavored with fresh watermelon. Limited flavor just for summer.”

About Lupicia View company

I have a confession to make….not that she should mind but if she does, i’ll make it up to her… you see, i have a whole bunch of tea at my place…that belongs to other ppl. And most of the time, because they’re shared orders, it’s tea that i already have. But there are two teas currently in my house that are NOT MINE. not even kinda lol. OK well, as of today there are like 5…but the point is. I was going through those teas today to pull out the ones for Cavo and VariaTEA and i came across this tea…again. And the impish girl in me…the kind who puts boxes on her head and takes a picture just for fun…well she made me open the resealable bag and take out one of these teabags…and cold brew it.for tonight.

…and now i’m drinking it. and it’s delicious and i only feel kinda of guilty…but not REALLY guilty…because KITTENNA YOUR TEAS MISS YOU! (or rather they want to hang out with the 600 teas at your place…) lol

this tea? Cold brewed, is very barley with the watermelon in the back seat, but with a little sugar, it pops just enough to make this a really refreshing tea. the kind of tea i should have ordered yesterday lol but there will be future orders, and i’m thinking that this one? it’s going to have to be in that order… thanks kittenna even if it wasn’t voluntarily heh

Terri HarpLady

thanks for making me laugh!

happy to oblige :) the picture is on FB lol

Cavocorax

Hahaha. KITTENNA I WANT THIS TEA!
(also steal whatever of mine you want. I consider that rent)

Cavocorax

Where’s the picture?

Cavo…picture of me with a box on my head I meant

VariaTEA

There was no barley tea on the site. I really wanted to order this or the apple one but that was just not happening.

i’ll keep my eyes peeled later on variaTEA – it was always that way for me with cookie

VariaTEA

Aww thank you :)

But I picked this tea up because I’ve been looking into the barley teas, and I have the caramel and honey one back home. This one smelled nice and bright from the package, but still had that roasty toasty smell from the barley!
It’s steeping now, and no more bright melon taste, it’s just the barley taking over.
Yeah, this is more roasty than bright. A good barley tea, but I definitely don’t taste the watermelon anymore!

ALSO I AM FREAKING OUT BECAUSE TRACEYC JUST MESSAGED ME LETTING ME KNOW THAT THE SPECIAL SAN FRANCISCAN BLENDS ARE NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE!??!?!?
Okay that’s like great for everyone all around because now everyone can try my baby (the Golden Honey Dew), but I kinda… it was one of my special teas that I drank on special occasions. It was a very hard tea for me to get my hands on, and when I did, I made sure to share it with others, and it made me all happy and giddy to read their tasting notes and see that they loved it as well.
I only drink my honey dew on special occasions because it truly is a unique tea, and as an in-person tea only, it was one that I made sure to cherish and drink with a purpose. Now that it’s available online and I no longer have to make that 400 drive trek and hour long train ride to the City and then hope that this tea is in stock when I visit, well, I don’t know. I hated that it was so hard to get, but that’s what really made it special. Now that weeks of waiting and planning on going to the City is all gone because now I can just stay cooped up in my room and purchase my tea online instead.

I’m just kinda sorta sad that that whole special factor of the tea is gone now.

boychik

I understand how you feel. You are wonderful, you shared it with many people. You made them happy. I’m considering getting it because of such great reviews. But I would not go to SF to get it, and I love SF. If I ever move that’s my dream place. Your mission accomplished;-). Thank you!!!

Dexter

I was really excited to see this post – but unless I’m missing something – Golden Honey Dew isn’t showing online. At least I couldn’t find it and the search didn’t bring it up.. :((

Dexter

Sorry I found them!!!! Thank you!!!! Thank you!!!
Sorry that this upsets you – but I have no chance of getting to SF – I’m really happy!!

jump62359

Ahh I’m really happy that so many people will be able to try this tea now :)
I’m still kinda attached. The honey dew is my baby and now I’ve let it go and it’ll soon be in the arms of many lovely people hehe.

boychik

I can promise that me and my kids will take good care of it:)

jump62359

Hehe thank you, that’s all that I ask :)

MissB

Heh. jump62359, I’ll still visit with you when I’m there, and we’re still going to the store to pick up a boatload of this. ;) Really, truly, you’ve shared so much of it, I will always associate this tea with you.

I cold-brewed this with a little bit of sugar. It’s excellent as an iced tea. The barley tea flavor sort of dominates the tea, so there’s only a hint of the watermelon once this brews, but it’s enough to give the tea a refreshing flavor. Barley teas make the best iced teas, I think. I still like the strawberry barley tea more, though.

Iced 8 min or more

Brew this cold to get the watermelon flavour. If you brew it hot and then ice it, you might not notice it. I’ve never had barley tea before so I didn’t really know what to expect. It has a roasted grain flavour, but not as strong as what you might get with a genmaicha. I thought the watermelon note would be stronger, but this was still a pleasant enough drink. I cold-brewed for about three hours. Doesn’t need sugar – it has a subtle sweetness. Would I buy it again? Doubt it. But I don’t regret trying it.