Pineapple Oolong

Fruit Oolong Blend
Butter, Coconut, Flowers, Pineapple
Edit tea info Last updated by Luthien

• “I'm going through my teas trying to get rid of things I don't want anymore, so check the US swap thread! In a couple days I may make a box to sell again because I really need to clear stuff out of...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1195 tasting notes
  • “I was poking through my stash, opening tins to see how much was left of certain teas and sniffing them at the same time. There were a lot of delicious smelling teas in there, but for some reason...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1909 tasting notes
  • “I keep seeing this tea in the cupboard and thinking that I should have it again soon, and tonight I finally got around to it. This is one of my favourite teas and it's been too long since I last...” Read full tasting note
    luthien 265 tasting notes
  • “Tasty! Sweet pineapple and creamy coconut together with a rich, buttery Oolong. Very nice indeed. The pineapple is sweet with a tart finish and tastes very authentic. The tartness lingers...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4303 tasting notes

From Lupicia

A delicious tea with a flavour easily compared to that of a famous Taiwanese desert. The intense sweetness of pineapple is fused with an Oolong base. Ideal at the end of a meal, or as an afternoon treat.

About Lupicia View company

i was a bit sceptical about this flavour at first. but its really really nice. Its got a nice fresh pineapple taste instead of a too sweet fake pineapple taste. its really good.

Another from my LA tea spree!

Love LOVE this! So good! Smells more of coconut when dry, but definitely tastes like pineapple when steeped! I had some hot, very mellow flavor, warm pineapple scent. Cold is fantastic! Light, refreshing, and just the right amount of sweetness that you can drink it all day, like I have been. Makes my summer days happy, even when I was at work.

Does not do well with oversteeping (oops). But the following infusions (three so far) have been great.

Going through my teas from the New Years grab bag and this was one of them. I normally don’t like fruity teas but this one isn’t so bad. It’s not overwhelming but given my tastes, I’m not a fan. It does brew into a very nice iced tea though.

I should preface this by saying that pineapple’s not among my favorite fruit flavors. The dry leaf of this tea smells strongly of coconut, but once brewed the coconut is mostly absent (from both the scent and the flavor) – it’s not totally gone, but it’s very, very faint, and the pineapple definitely dominates. Which is too bad, because I’m fonder of coconut than I am of pineapple.

I will say that the flavoring here isn’t terribly strong, and the oolong base comes through nicely. I like this one okay, and I can definitely see pineapple fans really loving it.

I got this in my New Year’s Happy bag. Which was a really awesome deal. Now I have to work my way through trying the different teas. So this one I am having after lunch since I was craving something sweet. So I was good and steeped this instead of having a cookie. Dry it smells like sweetened pineapple and coconut. Steeped it is delicious. Very buttery creamy flavor with just a hint of pineapple. I really like that you can taste the oolong more than the flavoring. Liking this one a lot. Yummy!

A delicious pairing of pineapple sweetness and the freshness of the oolong.

I think I went through the whole 50g bag without ever posting about it! Wow! This oolong was great! I picked it up when I was in Honolulu earlier in the month, and it really is delicious iced. All the flavors come through…pineapple, coconut, and a nice green oolong. I’m sad it’s gone, but truth be told, I like Lupicia’s melon oolong more. I only have a teaspoon left of the latter, so I’ll have to restock soon! I’m not sure if this one is available at the SF store, but I would gladly restock this one too. These two oolongs have essentially gotten me through a week and a half without being able to enjoy hot tea. Bye pineapple oolong! Until we meet again!

Very smooth and creamy cup…but I have to say that I’m getting very little pineapple. I get mostly floral oolong, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that…but I wish there was just a bit more pineapple and less floral. Adding a bit of raw cane sugar did make the mouthfeel a bit juicier though. I’m cold steeping the leaves for a second cup later, so we will see how that it. Will be interested to see how it compares to Butiki’s Flowery Pineapple Oolong.

All in all, it’s a good tea, but I need more pineapple. We’ll see how the cold brew holds up in that area. I will have no problem finishing the rest of this tea. Thanks so much for sending it Dexter!

From the queue, written March 21st 2014

This is from the EU TTB, round 2.

Once upon a time, I had a green-type oolong with lemon flavouring. I decided then that this was a right nommy tea and that lemon and greenish oolongs were flavours that were very suited for each other indeed. Like I think orange and puerh is. Or rooibos and nuts.

Now, in the TTB I saw this, also a green-type oolong, and I reckon that pineapple, it being a tart, fresh flavour, must have the same sort of excellent matchability with oolong that lemon does.

So why does my cup now smell strongly of coconut? If I sit and quietly breathe into the cup for a while I’m getting lots of sharp pineapple as well, but on the surface it’s totally coconut-y. I don’t know what I think of this. I don’t know if it’s the pineapple which at first sniff gives off a coconut-y vibe or if I suspect coconut flavouring has also been added to this in some way. I think I’m mostly leaning towards the former. After all pineapple and coconut are things that often occur together in foods, so one could easily bring associations to the other.

I can also, to my delight, actually smell oolong in this! I had a Lupicia tea recently with grapefruit on, I believe, a green base, where I was a little sad that I couldn’t detect any tea in it at all. I don’t think I’m going to have that problem here. It has that very typical green oolong aroma, which is leafy, a bit floral and with some twinges of earthiness and wood to it.

It tastes primarily like coconut too. If I hadn’t been told what it was, I would have guessed coconut flavoured oolong. There’s a smidge of pineapple-y notes in the aftertaste, but I really do feel like it’s mostly just coconut. It’s a pleasant tea, but rather disappointing, because it’s not supposed to be coconut. I’m feeling a little pineapple-deprived.

Still, though, as I expected, I can actually taste the oolong, so that bit makes me happy. Again, it’s a sort of default green-type oolong here, and a not too floral one which is even better.

As it cools the pineapple becomes a little more apparent, but it’s still very coconut-y. At this point you cannot convince me that there is no coconut-flavouring added to this. Why did they do that?

I like this a lot. I think I would have liked it better had it actually done what it says on the box.

I made some hot and a cold brew of this tea. The hot was enjoyable but the cold was even better. Nicely balanced teas. This will be a great summer cold brew. I’ll be having a lot of this during the summer!