Melon Oolong

Fruit Oolong Blend
Honeydew, Melon, Cantaloupe, Fruity, Sweet, Butter, Floral, Vegetal, Mint, Smooth, Green, Green Melons
Edit tea info Last updated by Erin

From Lupicia

Juicy and sweet melon is infused to high quality Taiwanese Oolong tea. Can be recommended for iced tea, as well.

About Lupicia View company

Marco Polo Traveling Tea Box – Tea #2

Very green and very melon. Wow. It tastes like fresh honeydew! Not artificial in the slightest. It’s juicy and lush, with undercurrents that are floral and buttery. (From the oolong base.) I added a fair amount of sugar to make the juiciness of the melon pop. Otherwise, it tasted very green, like it was “underripe”…or like the melon flesh that’s closest to the rind. I bet it would be spectacular as an iced tea.

Method:
Pre-boil
1.5tsp/10oz
2min 15sec

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Honeydew, Melon, Vegetal

Finally getting to taste this tea thanks to a Lupicia order placed back in February that I finally picked up my teas from :D It was worth the wait. There’s that perfect melon flavour (honeydew, IMO) which is familiar to me from various Japanese sweets, blended masterfully into a lovely, buttery oolong base. It’s perfect. I will admit that it’s SO perfect that I probably wouldn’t want this tea overly often (so my shared packet will be ample for a while). Super want to make another Lupicia order now, for Ripe Mango Oolong and others…

ETA: What I find particularly interesting about this tea is the longevity of the melon flavour. I was under the impression that the little balls of whatever in this tea were the flavouring, therefore I wasn’t expecting the flavour to last beyond the first, maybe second infusion. But I’m drinking the third right now, and it most definitely still tastes and smells like melon. A bit muted, of course, but quite apparent.

KatBender

This sounds delicious! I definitely recommend their Ripe Mango Oolong. It’s my sister’s favorite thing in my whole cupboard. :D

Kittenna

Yum. I don’t think I’ve ever had a great mango tea, so I’m pretty excited. Someday…

Ost

Well, you know…they might still have the free shipping offer on ;)

This is a sample from NayLynn. Thank you for sharing.

I enjoyed this tea as my afternoon cup. This has a very distinct melon taste. How do they do that? The honey dew rooibos and now this? Crazy! For me though, the strong melon flavor was nice but did not blend well with the base tea. It was like I was drinking cool aid mixed with tea. I would take a sip, get the sweet melon flavor and then a oolong flavor. When I drink flavored oolongs I really want the flavor to accents the tea I will have no problems finishing off this sample, but I do not think this is one I need to purchase in the free shipping sale.

This is another I didn’t review the first time I drank it, and now it’s a very sad sipdown. I’ll probably attempt to get a few more steeps out of it, because it’s simply amazing. Once it’s brewed up it smells like a ripe melon, but even better it tastes like a ripe melon. I’m drinking honeydew—which is, of course, my favorite melon, but only when it’s ripe. Mm! The base is light and slightly sweet on its own and is just delicious with the melon flavor. I will have to get some, probably after I use up Golden Moon’s melon tea (or maybe I should keep them both around at once)!

Another flavored tea from NayLynn! I felt like a nice refreshing fruity tea so I chose this one to try. Melon is one of my favorite fruit flavors and I like all kinds. This is a rolled oolong, and the pellets are fairly small and a medium green/brown in color. There are a few little pieces of spiky mint green transparent candy in there too, so I made sure to get one in the infuser! Dry scent is mouthwateringly juicy and sweet honeydew. The recommended steep was 1.5-2 minutes, but I thought that seemed short for an oolong so I did a 3-minute steep.

Brewed aroma is quite similar to the dry – still sweet and juicy honeydew, maybe with a hint of cantaloupe now. OMG, this tea! The honeydew flavor is absolutely perfect and spot-on in every way. It tastes so juicy and full, and the texture is super creamy from the oolong. I taste just a touch of vegetal flavor in the background, but mostly it’s just like eating a sweet, ripe honeydew in the summer. There’s something that tastes very slightly minty and tingly in the aftertaste. Yum!

Flavors: Floral, Honeydew, Melon, Mint, Smooth, Sweet, Vegetal

Where I work, we do a fruit bar in the mornings: fresh watermelon, kiwi, strawberries, grapes, pineapple, cantaloupe, honeydew, canned mandarin oranges and canned peaches. Everyday, everything but the cantaloupe, honeydew, and canned fruit is gone by 9am. All the left over fruits are mixed together into a fruit salad, and added to the lunch bar. And everyday when I leave at 3:30, the canned fruits have been picked out, and all that’s left are the two melons. They just don’t get any love.

Melons, both real, and flavorings, seem to be tricky things. The actual fruit so often aren’t the proper ripeness, and as such taste bland, while the flavorings taste artificial and far from a good melon. After trying and loving Golden Honey Dew, I had high hopes for this.

The dry leaf is just as intoxicating as GHD. The aroma once steeped up is floral and fruity and sweet. Flavor is sweet melons and floral green oolong. Fruity, juicy, it’s like sitting on the porch in late spring, eating half a melon with a spoon, smelling the spring blooms in the breeze, and listening to the birds chirping.

Second steep is almost as good as the first. Thank you Ost for sending me a sample of this in my surprise birthday package last week!

Tea Sipper

Canned fruit over melons?!? No way!

I’ve been drooling over tasting notes of this tea for months now. Thank you Tealizzy for sending me a sample! :D

The oolong itself is your typical tightly rolled green oolong, but there was also this crazy neon green spiky piece of sugar candy in with the leaf! Looked like this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/54/Kompeito_konpeito.JPG

The flavor is strikingly similar to these little individually wrapped muskmelon candies the local Vietnamese restaurant gives out at the end of the meal in lieu of a mint. I really like those candies and the flavor pairs very well with green oolong. Also this is fantastic iced! I drank it kind of fast because I just came in from hours of yard work. I finally planted my fall crop of lettuce, beets, green onion and fancy radishes :)

I enjoyed every sip! Would consider ordering this some day, especially for iced tea. Thanks again Tealizzy!

Tealizzy

I knew you’d like it. It really is a winner!! :)

Lariel of Lórien

It’s fantastic. I tried to promote it at the store.

Tasting note number 350. Exciting, isn’t it? The nice people at Lupicia brewed me a sample after I told them it was so recommended to me.

The dry leaves smelled so good. Very fresh and like I was going to pick out melons in the farmers market. I got slightly more honey dew. When brewed the green oolong came out more. It went well with the melon flavour. Different, but I’ll likely get this if I ever go a Lupicia store again, or maybe order online next summer.

Flavors: Cantaloupe, Green, Honeydew, Melon

The last day of August. Unbelievable.
Well, I’m ready for September. Tights and sweaters and the proper tea drinking temps! I am ready. I’ve been dreaming about squash.
However, I will savor the summer teas in my cupboard, and so, for that, I’m drinking this lovely cup of melon goodness.
How come melon candy is not a thing in the U.S.? I would think it would be a natural combination.

TeaBrat

Well, I’ve seen watermelon candy but yeah that’s different… :)

Stephanie

I get some candies at my local asian grocery store that taste EXACTLY like this. PS- YES BRING ON THE WINTER SQUASH! :)

This is the tea that I keep going to after I get sick. It’s like a post-nausea tea for me. Which probably sounds awful-but it really does make me feel better. It’s soothing and calming.
The melon isn’t overly sweet-the oolong base really balances it out.
It’s not too strong to counteract the effect of my nausea pills. It’s just…ugh…this tea, you guys…It’s just perfect! I’m running out so fast-it’s crazy!
This is definitely worth a try if you like melon flavors!