Kumquat

Edit tea info Last updated by SFTGFOP

• “Its not often I like flavored tea, but this is actually really good! A delicious slightly bitter taste makes this tea fairly accurately named. I actually bought the tea for the aroma, and I am...” Read full tasting note
    sftgfop 149 tasting notes
  • “I love kumquats. There is a kumquat tree in the back yard of the house I grew up with and I have fond memories of eating these. I have a small tree in a pot at my house now. The fruit is the size...” Read full tasting note
    Dustin2Dust 554 tasting notes
  • “The first thing I noticed when I opened this is that the sticker on the tin said, "Best by 3/2015"...seriously, less than six months? That seems super short for a black tea. I emailed them to see...” Read full tasting note
    Marzipan 317 tasting notes
  • “More Lupicia because I gave in and visited the store again. This was one of their seasonal teas that I really kicked myself for not getting last time, so of course I came home with it this time....” Read full tasting note
    yingru 166 tasting notes

From Lupicia

The sweet kumquat peel brings out a refreshing briskness in this Nilgiri black tea blend.

About Lupicia View company

I actually bought the tea for the aroma, and I am happy with the result. This is better than any ordinary “orange” flavored tea.

I love kumquats. There is a kumquat tree in the back yard of the house I grew up with and I have fond memories of eating these. I have a small tree in a pot at my house now. The fruit is the size of a large olive and the skin is sweet while the flesh is sour. You eat the whole thing like a grape and it’s a wonderful mixture of sweet and sour.

The scent of this tea is dead on and strong. It mellows out a bit once steeped. Adding a little sugar brings out the sweetness that this fruit has. Even once it is sweetened it still has a little tang to it like the flesh of the fruit. It is a really accurate interpretation of the fruit and the tea is well done, but I’m not crazy about it on first cup. I wonder what spices go well with kumquat and if I can blend a couple teas together to make a super kumquat tea.

Stephanie

ok I need to try a kumquat apparently :D

The first thing I noticed when I opened this is that the sticker on the tin said, “Best by 3/2015”…seriously, less than six months? That seems super short for a black tea. I emailed them to see if something about this one makes it fade fast or if I got an old tin.

The dry leaf smelled really great, like fresh oranges. Brewed it was the same. The kumquat flavor is very bright and I really enjoyed the cup. I guess it’s a good thing if I have to drink it down by March!

donkeytiara

i recall something on their website about expiration dates…..

Marzipan

I ordered four black teas in this order, all of the others had much longer dates.

Jennkay

I have a flavored green from Lupicia past the date on the package that still tastes delicious! So a black tea should be okay?

The blend is black tea with kumquat peel. Kumquat is one of my favorite hard-to-find fruits, and this tea captures that tart, sweet, citrus fragrance perfectly. The tea brews up to an orange amber color, and the tea base is clean and crisp-tasting. In a hot brew, the kumquat zing is delicious and quite sweet, in a way that reminds me of Korean citron tea, which has honey as well as citrus peels in it. Cold brew is less sweet and very refreshing.

I think I’ve been giving out a lot of high ratings lately, but I don’t feel that I’m being indiscriminate, maybe it just means I’ve gotten better at finding what I like!

Cameron B.

Ooh, this one sounds good. I’ll have to consider it for my Lupicia order…

Mikumofu

LOL, that is going to be the most epically well-researched order at this rate!

TeaBrat

oh, I’ll have to look for this :)

Thanks to SFTGFOP for sending me a sample of this tea! I really do love citrus teas.
This tea has a wonderful citrus aroma that is pervasive throughout, yet never overwhelms the scent or flavor of the tea. The tea is light and mellow with little to no astringency. It really does have a distinct kumquat flavor which comes from the note of rind. There is no artificial or bitter lingering quality to this cup. It’s yum.