Grapefruit Green

Green Tea
Grapefruit
Edit tea info Last updated by Paul M Tracy

From Lupicia

Green tea flavored with fresh grapefruits makes a refreshing taste.

About Lupicia View company

I’ve been swamped with exams so I’ve just logging “blank notes”. In any case, this is one of my favorite teas from my roommate’s stash, which is weird because this tea is grapefruity but I don’t like real grapefruits. That says something about the awesomeness of this tea. <3

Cofftea

This is going in my 1st Lupicia order! I’ve only had one grapefruit tea, Adagio’s white grapefruit, but it was really good.

Jenny

Lupicia is definitely one of my favorite companies— but that could just be because they have actual storefronts in the two cities I normally reside in so I can go in and do some sample “sniffings” before I buy. I’m a big fan of their flavored teas. My favorites are their Takibi (oolong), Paradise Green, Momo Oolong, etc.

Ricky

Lupicia’s flavors are so subtle, I love it. My only complaint would be that I have to use a bit more leaves than with other tea vendors when I brew up a cup of their tea.

I got this in a swap with Will Work For Tea, who sent me a very generous amount! I have been looking for that “just right” grapefruit tea: I really liked Upton’s St. Isaac’s blend, but I still felt like there was something better and this was recommend to me by several people so I had to try it!

Since I dislike hot grapefruit usually, I made this iced. At first sip it’s just a nice, mild and lightly sweet green tea. Refreshing, but where’s the grapefruit? Then BAM it hits you! It’s actually softer than I was expecting, and only a bit tart, but the grapefruit taste is so fresh and juicy. Not the strongest I’ve tried, but definitely the most natural. I mean, it really tastes like I just squeezed a little grapefruit juice into some green tea. Most definitely will be picking this one up!

Babble

Hmmm.. this sounds interesting. I really love grapefruit, and this one doesn’t sound too overpowering. I might have to give it a try.

Alphakitty

It’s the best grapefruit tea I’ve had so far, there’s a great balance between the base and the flavoring so it’s very much “Green Grapefruit” rather than “water with grapefruit” which can happen since it’s a strong flavor. I also like the St. Isaac’s base, but it is VERY strong!

Tea of the afternoon…..

And tea #4 from my 2012 $30 Lupicia Happy Bag.

I am very pleased with this one. While the grapefruit is kind of strong, and adds a slight edge to the green tea (just like a real grapefruit would!), I really like this barely sweetened to take the edge off. Very refreshing. Going on my Lupicia list!

ashmanra

I a so glad you are trying these! I really want that Chocolate and Strawberry puerh but I wanted to order more to justify paying shipping.

SimplyJenW

@ashmanra…I sent you a sample of this one and another puer….Summer Fruits Puer. I definitely think you will like this one!

KeenTeaThyme

This sounds so yummy! Must add to my (ever-growing) list! :)

ashmanra

Ooo, Jen, you are too much! EEEE!

I do love the Lupicia newsletter, sending me samples of things that I would never order. I suppose thats the point of the samples.
This is fresh and almost juicy. Readers of my reviews might notice a theme- green tea is not my thing. I try, but its just not what grabs me out there in tea-land.
That said, this is pretty good!

Loose
Appearance: large leaf green, noticeable fruit
Aroma when Dry: citrus, hints of green
After water is first poured: ruby red(sish) grapefruit pops out
Tea liquor:
At end of first steep: clear
Staple? Seasonal perhaps
Time of day preferred: unsure, first tasting
Taste:
At first: sweetish grapefruit faint green notes
As it cools?Grapefuit notes mellow out, green notes surface
Additives used (milk, honey, sugar etc)? No
Lingers? Yes, grapefruit notes with a bit of powdery-ness at close

Second steep (5 min 30 seconds)
Tea liquor: clear
Aroma: light grapefruit
Taste: balanced grapefruit and green
As it cools:a “zesty” as in fruit zest note starts to surface

third steep, slightly lighter then second, same notes

Might try chilled

Azzrian

Sounds like it would be better iced.

Alphakitty

This one is definitely best iced (or cold brewed), I have a hard time drinking grapefruit teas hot!

Kasumi no Chajin

It’s nice, I just wish I could taste the green tea under it. Otherwise, it is one of the few citrus blends I like.

Based on some major detective work, LiberTEAS and I discovered that this tea is also served as “Desert Grapefruit Green” at the Tohono Chul Park Tearoom in Tucson.

The fragrance of this tea is incredible. The green tea base is strong with a clean, grassy, nutty, and sweet foundation. On top is a strong grapefruit that is very natural. Living in Arizona, I’m surrounded by citrus and this is just like driving past an orchard in the Spring.

The tea brews to an opaque, turbid, fluorescent green. The flavor of the green tea is rich and sweet and the grapefruit adds a perfect balance of bittersweet tartness.

The steeping instructions took me by surprise as they said to use boiling water instead of the 175 degrees I usually use for green teas. I followed Lupicia’s instructions and it turned out fine. I put this over ice and it was perfect!

LiberTEAS

I do not know why I cannot seem to capture the same tea taste that I experienced in the tearoom with this tea. It could be something as simple as the fact that I was rather enchanted by Tohono Chul Park. It could be the water… I don’t know. It’s still really good here at home, but it is just better in the tearoom. :)

ashmanra

Wow! Boiling water over green would take some courage for me. Glad you tried it for us and confirmed that it works!

Very much ruby red grapefruit — slightly sweet at the front with tartness and just a smidge of bitterness at the tail.The grapefruit flavor is natural and quite good and compliments the slightly sweet, buttery green well. There’s no astringency in the base, so I’d suspect that those who wanted more grapefruit could bump up to 2 tsp. The overall flavor is more zest (as in fruit zest) than juicy, but it’s fantastic with a little honey added in.

I kept wanting the fun grapefruit tingle that Butiki’s Grapefruit Dragon offers, which I prefer.

Thanks momo!

Thanks to LiberTeas for a sample of this one, that apparently has been sitting in my box for quite a while!

I think this tea may be suffering a bit from old age; I can both smell and taste some delicious real grapefruit flavour, with a brothy green base, but the flavour isn’t terribly strong. It may also be that my expectation was for something more along the lines of Butiki’s Grapefruit Dragon, which literally tasted like unsweetened grapefruit juice.

Either way, this isn’t bad; I’d try using more than 1.5 tsp leaf next time to see if I can amp up the flavour a bit. There wasn’t any astringency, so I think I’d be ok with an extra half teaspoon.

I’m pretty sure some of this is soon en route to me as part of Lupicia’s Happy Bag sale… (so I’m hoping I can figure out how to improve its flavour a bit!)

If you like grapefruits, you will like this tea. If you don’t like grapefruits, you still might like this tea. I’m not personally a huge fan of grapefruits. I can’t stand them actually – I kind of like the way they smell but I won’t eat them. This tea has a nice citrus-y flavor that seems like a hybrid between grapefruit and generic citrus-y goodness. Bonus points for grapefruit peel pieces.

Here’s Hoping Traveling Tea Box

I’ve never actually bought anything from Lupicia, but I’ve had the pleasure of sampling quite a few in Steepster swaps. I am really impressed with their fruity teas! I am drinking this hot, but it would be hella good iced in the summertime :) YUM!

Anna

This is one of the teas I got this week! I’m even more excited to try it now.