Grapefruit Green

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Paul M Tracy

• “Finally got around to cold brewing this one to have with lunch, and boy was it delicious! Lots of juicy grapefruit, no bitterness or astringency from the green tea. Super happy to have this one to...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1851 tasting notes
  • “My friend who loves black tea and puerh came over for lunch today. I made Vegetarian Tower, which is whatever veggies you have on hand, steamed, stacked on toasted English muffins, with Brie...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1769 tasting notes
  • “Hello again grapefruit green! Let's try you with honey! So I have bronchitis. Yay! bleh. Explain why I'm still sick and me getting over this is taking awhile. However, happy that it's not...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 937 tasting notes
  • “Another LiberTEAs Goodie!!! YAY! This Green Flavored actually seems to intensify the scent while and post infusing...rather than losing aroma like most teas seem to. YAY! I think it's more...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Green tea flavored with fresh grapefruits makes a refreshing taste.

About Lupicia View company

Ehh nothing really special. Not really grapefruity, but not a GREAT green tea either.

The smell alone is worth the price of admission. This is a wonderful light tea, good for an afternoon pick me up or getting you going in the morning.

Smells more fruit-like than regular green teas, and has less of an aftertaste.

From the queue

This one is from the EU TTB, round 2. I don’t drink very much green tea, leaning mostly towards black, flavoured and unflavoured alike, but I’m trying to remember that there are other types in the world as well. Therefore I’m only using half of this to try it. There little use in taking all of it, when I might end up forgetting I have it.

The leaf smells very lovely of grapefruit, and it’s not just generic citrus and suspiciously lemon-y, it’s actual real grapefruit. The scent of the zest, rather than the flesh of the fruit, really. This is also true after steeping, although here the zestyness is softened by the aroma of the base.

This is very strongly flavoured. It tastes like eating a grapefruit, and I can’t pick up the slightest hint of the base at all. I’m a bit torn about this. I like a flavoured tea to taste like what it has been flavoured with, but I also like it to not be so strong that I can only taste flavouring. This one is definitely in the ‘all flavouring, no base’ camp. This could have been anything. From what I can tell, it could have been flavoured water. I rather like to be able to taste that I’m drinking tea, if that makes any sense.

So I’m ambivalent on this one. It tastes lovely like grapefruit, and I’m very fond of grapefruit. But it doesn’t really feel like I’m drinking tea, and this bothers me, so although it’s lovely, I’m still a bit disappointed by it.

keychange

This actually makes me want to taste it even ore, because I don’t think I’m a fan of greens getting in the way of flavouring haha.

Anna

Haha, yes, I’m with keychange on this one. Oh, Angface. My favourite taste nemesis. <3

Angrboda

I had one today that I only found slightly more drinkable than you did!

Anna

Gasp!

(Looks around for Anna.)

I’ve been wanting to try this for a while but every time I think about it I realize it will be a first note and that means more systematic paying attention, and then I realize I don’t have time to really give it that sort of attention. I really don’t have that time today either as I’ve been on calls all morning for work and now have to drive down to the office, but I am REALLY in the mood for a flavored green tea and this one was calling to me.

The leaves appear to be sencha, delicate and flat and on the light green side of the green spectrum rather than the tubular, curly and darker green like typical Chinese green leaves. I suppose this shouldn’t be surprising as I believe Lupicia is a Japanese company? I don’t like to think about what will happen when my Japanese stash is depleted. I’m not convinced I want to buy any tea from Japan post-reactor meltdown.

There’s a wonderful tart-sweet grapefruit smell to the leaves in the packet. Now that I look at the packet again, I realize I may have screwed up the steeping. It says to use boiling (!) water, and I steeped as I usually do with greens, 175 for 1:30. The liquor is a light greenish yellow and has a buttery green tea smell. Really not a lot of grapefruit in the aroma.

But the same isn’t true of the flavor. This is incredibly refreshing, like a splash of cold water over your head, except that it’s hot and in my mouth. I know, sometimes the world doesn’t make sense. I expected tartness, but I don’t really get it, though I get a really interesting aromatic finish and aftersip that’s cooling in the mouth. I taste grapefruit though it isn’t as strong as I would have expected given some other Lupicia flavored teas I’ve had, but perhaps that’s what makes it pleasant. It tastes very much like a green tea with a bit of grapefruit essence. Sort of like those flavored waters with just a hint of fruit flavor in them, only instead of water it’s green tea. There’s a tad of bitterness that floats in and out but not enough to make it unpleasant.

It isn’t as wonderful as the white melon, but it’s quite nice. I’ll try it according to package directions next time and see what that does.

Holy tea gods! I didn’t expect to get so much grapefruit out of this. Not just the “some sort of citrus, might as well be grapefruit” note but a full grapefruit – citrusy sweetness that ends with a typically grapefruity bitter note.

I think the bitter note is mostly the doing of the actual green tea base and it works so well…

I love the aroma and flavor of grapefruit. Having said that, I didn’t expect this tea to taste so good. It seems that Lupicia might be slightly better at their flavored greens rather than blacks. I mean, so far I’ve only had black Sakurambo and black Lychee, so it is probably not fair to say compare it like that… but the green ones I’ve had are definitely winning. Although I did also have a one serving-worth sample of Cookie and I absolutely loved it…

Tea & Cards TTB

I was suckered in by the intense grapefruit smell coming from the bag, but sadly the tea doesn’t hit quite the same note.

Once brewed the tea was still enjoyable – it has a quality green base that has a subtle vegetal note – but the grapefruit is definitely far more polite than I expected…it features more as an aftertaste than a front note.

The more I drink it, though, the more convinced I am that this is actually a good tea; it just wasn’t what I was expecting. Tasty, but not one I would choose to keep in my cabinet.

175 °F / 79 °C 2 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

Tea of the afternoon for me. I can’t believe I’ve never rated this before but according to Steepster I have not. I got this in the last Lupicia grab bag that came around.

This is a very authentic lasting grapefruit flavor. I’m reminded the most of the tart sweetness of a ruby red grapefruit. I’ve had it hot and iced and I really like it both ways. The grapefruit does overpower the green tea a bit but it’s slightly grassy and vegetal in the background. “Zesty” is a nice way to describe this.

I like drinking this as an afternoon tea and it will definitely boost your spirits with the puckery brightness… a little sugar is nice in it too.

I miss Japanese green teas, maybe I need to treat myself to some gyokuro soon. :)

I haven’t tried this hot, actually. But it’s f***ing fantastic as an iced tea. So refreshing, like biting into a fresh citrus fruit. I thought it would be too sour for me, especially since I’m not a fan of grapefruit at all, but it was just right. Probably my favorite green for iced tea, followed closely by Lupicia’s I would recommend using a little less tea than you should use for other iced teas because the grapefruit flavor gets rather concentrated if steeped overnight.

Iced 8 min or more

Love the grapefruit aroma that came from the leaves, however it lacked in taste. Maybe it’s suppose to taste that way, but it did remind me of the bitterness of eating a grapefruit. It’s pretty soothing to have it hot, but it tastes great iced as well!