Grapefruit Green

Green Tea
Citrus, Grapefruit, Seaweed, Smooth, Spinach, Green
Edit tea info Last updated by Paul M Tracy

From Lupicia

Green tea flavored with fresh grapefruits makes a refreshing taste.

About Lupicia View company

My relationship with grapefruit is made of love and hate.

When I was a kid, my step father was making the meals. Often, as a starter, he was serving us grapefruit. Here we can serve grapefruit for starter or dessert…even if for me it sounds weird as a starter on its own. We had the right to add a little sugar and we were using the special little spoons made especially for grapefruit.
I hated these moments and I hated grapefruit : so bitter to me so terrible to have had to finish it each time.

Later I tried grapefruit juices and I didn’t like neither. I had more chance with mixing grapefruit with other fruit or vegetables or shrimps.
Now I can eat them without other addition.

Anna was kind to have sent me this tea. I can appreciate the grapefruit here and even the green base. It is fresh grapefruit with a little only grapefruit bitterness for the very best.
Very well done Lupicia, a so lovely blend.

Terri HarpLady

When I was a kid, we also had grapefruit sometimes before breakfast. I remember these very small knifes for cutting around the section, & the dainty little spoons! Mom always put sugar on the table, & in those days it seemed that the grapefruits were always the yellow kind, not the sweeter pink or red ones.

When I was visiting my gramma & my cousins were also there, gramma served grapefruit at breakfast too. My cousins all sprinkled salt on theirs.
:p
Now I like mine plain, or in salad with grapefruit, avocado, & lime juice. Maybe some jicama, cilantro, shrimp… :)

Ysaurella

with avocado and shrimps this is a must ! I do agree

Terri HarpLady

Also good in this salad is thinly sliced fennel bulb
I need to plant some fennel in my garden!

TheTeaFairy

Ysaurella, I’m so with you on this, we were served half a grapefruit as a starter as well!! As a kid, those special tools were intriguing to me and made the whole thing worth while, cause otherwise, I thought grapefruits existed just to make kid’s lives miserable…today, I can,t get enough of them :-)

Ysaurella

and the funniest is my daughter adores grapefruit, she likes its bitterness.

Very good, strong grapefruit aroma. It’s also a fairly light tea—would be great for anyone that is not a fan of the stronger tea flavors imo.

175 °F / 79 °C 4 min, 30 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

From the Here’s Hoping Traveling Tea Box #2

Although I have sent the tea box on its way I do have a few more teas to review. I think I have five or six more teas and then I’m done with traveling tea box posts for a while. :)

I love the smell of the dry leaf, but the wet leaf had a smell that made me crinkle my nose. It went from smelling like grapefruit and citrus flowers to something sharp and bitter. I was worried that I had steeped it incorrectly, but thankfully the taste was all grapefruit and fresh grass. I actually had to move the wet leaves away from me so I could enjoy the tea. The tea itself is lovely. The taste is grapefruit, bright fresh grass, and, as the tea cools, slightly floral.

I can see myself enjoying this tea a lot during the summer. It’s light and really refreshing.

Thank you to teataku for this sample!

I really want to make a Lupicia order and was hoping for a chance to try this. I love grapefruit and would love to have a tea that has a real grapefruit taste. However, this wasn’t good at all. It tasted quite dusty as many greens do to me, like it has a lot of particles that get through my perfect mug strainer. It was also quite bitter even though I brewed it with warm water. I couldn’t detect any grapefruit either.

I read through the reviews again and I wish I tasted what other people are tasting. I’m still tempted to pick this one up just in case it is better strait from Lupicia. DECISIONS!

From the queue

This one is from the EU TTB, round 2. I don’t drink very much green tea, leaning mostly towards black, flavoured and unflavoured alike, but I’m trying to remember that there are other types in the world as well. Therefore I’m only using half of this to try it. There little use in taking all of it, when I might end up forgetting I have it.

The leaf smells very lovely of grapefruit, and it’s not just generic citrus and suspiciously lemon-y, it’s actual real grapefruit. The scent of the zest, rather than the flesh of the fruit, really. This is also true after steeping, although here the zestyness is softened by the aroma of the base.

This is very strongly flavoured. It tastes like eating a grapefruit, and I can’t pick up the slightest hint of the base at all. I’m a bit torn about this. I like a flavoured tea to taste like what it has been flavoured with, but I also like it to not be so strong that I can only taste flavouring. This one is definitely in the ‘all flavouring, no base’ camp. This could have been anything. From what I can tell, it could have been flavoured water. I rather like to be able to taste that I’m drinking tea, if that makes any sense.

So I’m ambivalent on this one. It tastes lovely like grapefruit, and I’m very fond of grapefruit. But it doesn’t really feel like I’m drinking tea, and this bothers me, so although it’s lovely, I’m still a bit disappointed by it.

keychange

This actually makes me want to taste it even ore, because I don’t think I’m a fan of greens getting in the way of flavouring haha.

Anna

Haha, yes, I’m with keychange on this one. Oh, Angface. My favourite taste nemesis. <3

Angrboda

I had one today that I only found slightly more drinkable than you did!

Anna

Gasp!

(Looks around for Anna.)

I’ve been wanting to try this for a while but every time I think about it I realize it will be a first note and that means more systematic paying attention, and then I realize I don’t have time to really give it that sort of attention. I really don’t have that time today either as I’ve been on calls all morning for work and now have to drive down to the office, but I am REALLY in the mood for a flavored green tea and this one was calling to me.

The leaves appear to be sencha, delicate and flat and on the light green side of the green spectrum rather than the tubular, curly and darker green like typical Chinese green leaves. I suppose this shouldn’t be surprising as I believe Lupicia is a Japanese company? I don’t like to think about what will happen when my Japanese stash is depleted. I’m not convinced I want to buy any tea from Japan post-reactor meltdown.

There’s a wonderful tart-sweet grapefruit smell to the leaves in the packet. Now that I look at the packet again, I realize I may have screwed up the steeping. It says to use boiling (!) water, and I steeped as I usually do with greens, 175 for 1:30. The liquor is a light greenish yellow and has a buttery green tea smell. Really not a lot of grapefruit in the aroma.

But the same isn’t true of the flavor. This is incredibly refreshing, like a splash of cold water over your head, except that it’s hot and in my mouth. I know, sometimes the world doesn’t make sense. I expected tartness, but I don’t really get it, though I get a really interesting aromatic finish and aftersip that’s cooling in the mouth. I taste grapefruit though it isn’t as strong as I would have expected given some other Lupicia flavored teas I’ve had, but perhaps that’s what makes it pleasant. It tastes very much like a green tea with a bit of grapefruit essence. Sort of like those flavored waters with just a hint of fruit flavor in them, only instead of water it’s green tea. There’s a tad of bitterness that floats in and out but not enough to make it unpleasant.

It isn’t as wonderful as the white melon, but it’s quite nice. I’ll try it according to package directions next time and see what that does.

Holy tea gods! I didn’t expect to get so much grapefruit out of this. Not just the “some sort of citrus, might as well be grapefruit” note but a full grapefruit – citrusy sweetness that ends with a typically grapefruity bitter note.

I think the bitter note is mostly the doing of the actual green tea base and it works so well…

I love the aroma and flavor of grapefruit. Having said that, I didn’t expect this tea to taste so good. It seems that Lupicia might be slightly better at their flavored greens rather than blacks. I mean, so far I’ve only had black Sakurambo and black Lychee, so it is probably not fair to say compare it like that… but the green ones I’ve had are definitely winning. Although I did also have a one serving-worth sample of Cookie and I absolutely loved it…

Tea & Cards TTB

I was suckered in by the intense grapefruit smell coming from the bag, but sadly the tea doesn’t hit quite the same note.

Once brewed the tea was still enjoyable – it has a quality green base that has a subtle vegetal note – but the grapefruit is definitely far more polite than I expected…it features more as an aftertaste than a front note.

The more I drink it, though, the more convinced I am that this is actually a good tea; it just wasn’t what I was expecting. Tasty, but not one I would choose to keep in my cabinet.

175 °F / 79 °C 2 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

I’m having this tea for lunch as a cold brew. I haven’t been drinking much cold brewed tea since the weather got cooler, but this is just so delightful when it’s been prepared that way. If Lupicia ever made a decaf grapefruit and it tasted anywhere near this good, I’d definitely buy some.

Getting energized to go join a gym. I was trying to save money by not going to one, but sitting around on my duff isn’t making me feel better about myself and it’s important to feel and look good when you go on job interviews. I think it will be a good thing for me if I can get there 3x a week at least. Wish me luck!

Iced 8 min or more 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
Cameron B.

A green rooibos with this flavoring would be delicious! And good luck on your gym plan. :)

TeaBrat

yes, I agree on the rooibos and thanks, I’m a bit sick of feeling flabby :-P

Cameron B.

I’m the laziest person on the face of the earth when it comes to working out… >>

TeaBrat

me too! Honestly it is a struggle but I look & feel so much better when I do.

Scatterbrain

Forcing yourself to do it initially is the hard part. If you fight through that phase, you may really start to enjoy the excercise and feel good…that’s definitely what happened for me!

Anlina

Yoga is the only fitness thing I’ve ever been able to stick to, and it’s been way too long since I’ve done it regularly.

My partner and I are supposed to be going to the gym together, but it’s so hard to fit it in. Also, cardio is boring as hell, though fortunately we’re focused more on strength training. But still, so hard to get into it and make it a habit.

TeaBrat

@Scatterbrain – agreed. My biggest hurdle in the past has always been time but now that I’m not working I hardly have that excuse. :P

@Anlina – cardio can be boring but I listen to podcasts and that helps the time go by faster. I also think I want to take a Zumba class. I like yoga but right now I feel like pumping iron, heh!

I haven’t tried this hot, actually. But it’s f***ing fantastic as an iced tea. So refreshing, like biting into a fresh citrus fruit. I thought it would be too sour for me, especially since I’m not a fan of grapefruit at all, but it was just right. Probably my favorite green for iced tea, followed closely by Lupicia’s I would recommend using a little less tea than you should use for other iced teas because the grapefruit flavor gets rather concentrated if steeped overnight.

Iced 8 min or more