Lychee (Lichee) Oolong

Oolong Tea
Lychee
Edit tea info Last updated by Jenny

From Lupicia

Shuixian oolong tea from Fujian, China is flavored with lychee which was said to be Yang-Kuei-fei’s favorite fruit. Its characteristic sweet scent will further bring out the sweetness of tea leaves.

About Lupicia View company

A surprise from a surprise package from Anna! There is something quite special about being eager to get home to have a cup of good tea and find new teas on your mailbox (double! Teas from a swap with Courtney arrived at the same time, but those are teas I meant for breakfast, will test tomorrow). My planned cup of Thé sur le Nil will have to wait a few days.

I don´t know Lupicia very well, this is probably my second or third Lupicia tea (too tired to check for sure). I love lychee tea, and never had anything other than standard black tea with lychee. This oolong is a different take and it is lovely, the almost earthy-ness or nuttiness (nope, do not know what I am talking about, this sort of oolong-y thing, you know) and the juicy fruit on top. It´s a pretty delicate pairing and the taste is blessedly natural seeming. In all a lovely cup of tea.

(I was probably brutal at brewing this, but it did not seem to matter at all)

Flavors: Lychee

Ysaurella

The brand for me is really hit & miss.Some of their blends are lovely and natural and others are horrible because of artificial flavourings.
I had the chance to taste several thanks to Devilish who send me some from Hong Kong at the time the Lupicia’s teas weren’t available in France.

cteresa

The teas I had from them were nice, this one was lovely and chaud les marrons is IMO as lovely a chestnut tea as Rouge d´Automne, just different.

But I confess to being a cheapstake. I was checking their french website just browsing and thought at their prices “oh that is brave to start to sell tea in Paris for that price”, and then clicked on items and the prices are for 50 grams rather than 100, and of course I laughed. No, quite ridiculous. Very lovely tea, but almost twice the price than our Mariage friends for equivalent tea? I wonder how that is going to work out for them. Though to be fair, they do sell only 50 grams and very cute little tins for just a little more, I might indulge in person once or twice. But it´s very brave pricing for a tea shop in Paris!

Had for afternoon tea with R, an unexpected surprisingly langorous event (usually he comes home late from work Wednesdays due to faculty meetings, but they were canceled today). Nice for sure, but hot on the heels of Daruma it reminds one of it while falling short in comparison (a bit less exotic fruitiness, no peppercorn savory unique refreshing element). I’d rather reorder Daruma (yum!) and just continue to get any ol’ lychee tea I can get my hands on (with preference to Butiki’s)—it’s a flavor that just works so well with tea period that no matter who does it I always end up enjoying it. I’m noticing a pattern with that, where certain flavors feel kind of can-do-no-wrong to the point even if they’re not normally the ones I’d pick first (or eat the real version of first), with tea they’re a no brainer (the opposite holds too—some flavors, no matter how delicious in real life, never seem that great to me in tea, or so hard to do with it that finding a good specimen is tricky…figs, bananas, cinnamon, strawberries—most berries really—spring to mind first).

This oolong has a slight smoky taste that serves as a backdrop for a splash of sweet, fruity flavor. The smell is all lychee, and I actually think this tea mimics that flavor pretty well, albeit in a more subdued, less-ripe form. My favorite way to drink this was cold-brewed for about 8 hours or overnight, but it’s pretty good hot, too. I think it’s fruitier if you drink it cold-brewed.

Iced 8 min or more

It was ok. It came out kinda weak tasting though.

Very distinct but not overpowering lychee taste. One of my favorite oolongs.