Pineapple Barley

Herbal Tea
Candy, Coffee, Pineapple, Roasted, Roasted Barley
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 5 g 8 oz / 251 ml

• “Now that my tummy is full of leftover Indian food, for some reason I reach for this one. Not sure why, but oh well! Apparently barley tea is a digestif for me. :P I’m slowly making my way...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 972 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown (126)! Added a splash of White Rum this time, in an attempt to dull the "fish" smell I strongly smell with this one, both dry and steeped… - Went surprisingly well with the...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 2986 tasting notes
  • “For a barley tea, it is very strong flavored. I almost thought it was coffee at first, but it is in fact just a very strong barley tea—which may be perfect for coffee lovers trying to get off...” Read full tasting note
    amoureux 7 tasting notes

From Lupicia

“Aromatic six-rowed barley produced in Japan flavored with fresh pineapple.” —http://www.lupiciausa.com/product_p/13369408.htm

About Lupicia View company

Now that my tummy is full of leftover Indian food, for some reason I reach for this one. Not sure why, but oh well! Apparently barley tea is a digestif for me. :P I’m slowly making my way through all of Lupicia’s flavored barley teas, and this is the one I chose with my holiday tea order. Dry scent reminds me of pineapple gummy bears with a strong roasted undercurrent.

Like the other flavors, this has a very strong roasted flavor that I enjoy quite a lot. It’s almost similar to coffee, or perhaps a smoother version of a heavily roasted oolong. The level of pineapple flavor is perfect, and it actually goes very well with the roasted barley. I will say, the pineapple here is definitely artificial, and it does taste exactly like pineapple gummy bears as opposed to the actual fruit. Very tasty though!

Flavors: Candy, Coffee, Pineapple, Roasted

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 11 OZ / 325 ML

Sipdown (126)!

Added a splash of White Rum this time, in an attempt to dull the “fish” smell I strongly smell with this one, both dry and steeped…

- Went surprisingly well with the white rum!
- Suppose that makes sense because Pineapple/Rum is not really a stretch at all
- Still very weird, but good weird for sure
- And while it still SMELLED “fishy” (it’s never tasted fishy) it wasn’t as strong

I now have a sample of Apple Barley from VariaTEA to try so I’ll certainly be looking out for that fish smell to see if it’s just this flavour, or if it’s something that’s just linked to Lupicia’s barley teas in general…

Still thank you Cameron B. for this one! I did enjoy it overall, even with fish smell.

Cameron B.

Now I’m going to be thinking “fish” when I try this! Can’t wait to see how Apple Barley is, I haven’t tried that one yet. :D

Lupiressmoon

Ive read fish smell comes from it getting moist or wet at some point. Could that be what’s wrong?

Roswell Strange

I suppose it’s definitely a possibility; though I don’t recall anything moistening the teabags after they’d arrived – and they were dry upon getting here. I don’t know.

Kittenna

I’ve noticed the fishiness with the barley teas before. Not as off-putting as pu’erh but still not overly appetizing.

Cameron B.

I didn’t get any fish with this one. :P

For a barley tea, it is very strong flavored. I almost thought it was coffee at first, but it is in fact just a very strong barley tea—which may be perfect for coffee lovers trying to get off their coffee kick. It is, of course like other barley teas, caffeine-free as well. The pineapple aroma and flavor, in my opinion, is great. It is stronger than I expected, but not overwhelming to me. If someone dislikes pineapple, this is probably not a tea for them, though. Overall, it’s a really great tea worth trying if you like stronger barley tea. Sometimes, I do wish it was just a bit lighter though.

Flavors: Roasted Barley