Milk Caramel

Green Tea
Caramel, Dark Wood, Earth, Toasty, Cream, Roasted, Sweet, Nutty
Edit tea info Last updated by cookies

• “The scent of the dry leaves is amazing! I can really smell the _creaminess_ of the caramel. It reminds me very much of the popular caramel spread from Argentina called "dulce de leche". The tea...” Read full tasting note
    StephL535 314 tasting notes
  • “Oh...my...goodness this is good. Yummy. This tea is a must try for those who love caramel. The toasty flavor of the houjicha is a brilliant pairing with the caramel flavor, giving it a roasty...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4651 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Doulton for passing this tea onto me. It was delicious, not sure if it was a true caramel flavor but there was a sweet roasted flavor that was very enjoyable. It is a sophisticated...” Read full tasting note
    RachanaC 432 tasting notes
  • “This tea smells creamy, buttery, green, toasty and earthy all at once. I'm really looking forward to sipping! The scent smells so rich that it has me expecting a really thick or full mouthfeel....” Read full tasting note
    QueenOfTarts 565 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Sweet aroma of milk caramel brings out the comforting aroma of houjicha.

Ingredients: Roasted Green Tea, Almond Flavoring. Contains: Almonds.

(French Lupicia: Caramel au lait.)

About Lupicia View company

Butterscotch: if you like it, you’ll enjoy this tea. Smells like it and tastes like it… well, like toasted butterscotch, and not quite as sweet. There’s quite a bit of flavor here, no focused attention is necessary. Also Crystal, who surprised me with this delicious gift, noted a nutty flavor as well, good call on that subtlety; I’d peg it as hazelnut.

The creamy mouthfeel continues into a lengthy aftertaste, which is quite nice… like breathing butterscotch-caramel.

I’d recommend this tea for folks like me who don’t seek out “sweet” teas but enjoy a little sweetness now and then as long as it’s not all high notes.

This would be good to use as a flavoring for more plain teas, like that nondescript black that you want to use up. So … on the 3rd steep I added some Irish Breakfast that I actually like, and the results are great. Delicious, it cut some of the sweetness and added more interest to the black tea. This would be a great satisfying Saturday breakfast tea, now, like tea with a little sweet roll on the side, without the calories. When added to another tea like this, I’d give this a 90 rating. The strength of the flavor holds up remarkably well.

Mmm, this tea has a nice toasty flavor, just what you’d expect from houjicha. The caramel adds a nice sweet note, and the creamy-ness is an interseting compliment for the green tea.

Caramel and houjicha- I was very skeptical. A friend sent me a sample of this, and it is actually quite good! Probably not something I would re-order, but something interesting for a change of pace. The caramel flavor compliments the houjicha very well, and it makes for a brew that is slightly reminiscent of coffee… in a good way.

From the SanTEA Claus TTB

This is alright, but I don’t love it. It taste like a roasted butterscotch to me, and, while I didn’t have a problem finishing my cup, it’s not something I’d want to purchase.

Really enjoying this tea this morning. It’s so good with almond milk.Makes it supper creamy….yum!

As a reward for working on my cupboard so well, i figured it was time to open up one of the few teas i have that i haven’t managed to try yet. I’ve actually been trying to spend more time on not just working through my older teas, but getting around to trying all my teas on hand so that i know what i want to keep around or restock. I was intrigued enough by this one to buy it, since i’ve had some positive experiences with hojicha, and well, i love caramel :)

My initial few sips of this one made me feel like it wasn’t what i expected it to be. i was looking for more caramel…more..just more. However, i realised shortly after that, that my cup was empty lol. This isn’t deep rich velvety milk caramel, but it is sweet and delicious. I’m a little curious how this would fare as a latte, since it might add to the creaminess. Overall, i’m quite happy with this and i’m going to have fun playing with the rest of my bag! :)

Cameron B.

I wanted more caramel, too! :P

if there’s room i’ll send you a sample of the tea G caramel…. i haven’t had a chance to get envelopes for your swap heh

Cameron B.

Well, if you insist! ;)

Sakura Sushi

I’ve had the English Caramel from Lupicia in the past and found it to be pretty caramel-y. Never actually tried the Milk Caramel to compare the two.

If English is the black base version…then I think I’ve tried it and found it a little lacking too…but then I adore the caramel from tea g. Heh

cookies

By any chance do you have a package with ingredients on it? I e-mailed Lupicia for a list but they haven’t gotten back to me :(

cookies – i do! however all it says is roasted green tea, almond flavours. contains: almonds

cookies

Thanks a ton, Sil!

Kittenna

If I give you puppy eyes could I snag a sample of this if you have enough? puppy eyes

Back to Lupicia! This sample came from Starfevre, thanks dear! I haven’t been the biggest fan of houjicha so far, but I figured a caramel-flavored one might suit me better. The dry leaf is a large variety of sizes, and unbroken and broken leaves. They’re a medium warm brown in color, and there are a couple tiny pieces of brittle or something mixed in. The dry scent is light, sweet caramel with a milky creamy smell.

The steeped aroma is quite roasty and toasty with a lovely sweet creamy caramel smell. The flavor is actually much lighter than I expected, I wonder if I should have steeped it longer. There’s a light roasted flavor along with an even lighter sweet caramel note and a touch of cream. I did add a touch of raw sugar to help being out the caramel even more. Overall, it’s pretty good, but I may use more tea or steep longer next time.

Flavors: Caramel, Cream, Roasted, Sweet

Lariel of Lórien

I made my for 3 minutes and it turned out good.

Cheri

This just sounds so good, but I’ve been trending away from flavored teas….

This is one of the teas my classmate sent when she went back to the store.

Such an interesting sounding tea, so I had to try. There is a nice roasted, sweet scent, slightly nutty scent. The caramel came out more in the flavour, it made for a very different tasting pairing with the houjicha. I was surprised how much I liked it, and it made me think of dessert. Perhaps a dessert I need to make. (Now I want to try other flavoured houjicha.)

Flavors: Caramel, Nutty, Roasted, Sweet

Thank you so much Tealizzy for this bonus swap sample!

I LOVE the idea of a caramel flavored houjicah. How brilliant! This one is strong on the caramel scent, but light on the caramel flavor. The houjicha has a lovely roasty taste though, so I am really enjoying this. YAY!!!!

Dustin

Bird Pick has a caramel houjicha too that I really like! It is a good combo. I’ll have to try Lupicia’s version some day.

The third Lupicia tea that I tried from my recent order.
I kept telling myself I’d hold back and wait to finish some older teas before digging into these, but I was too damn excited. I have zero restraint at the best of times, to be honest.

This was the first one to disappoint me, sadly.
I’m not sure where the caramel is?

I added some milk, which brought out the creamy aspect, but really I was just tasting a toasty green tea. Perhaps there’s an underlying sweetness that one could attribute to caramel flavouring, but I am not that one.

Maybe different steeping parameters would make a difference.

It also doesn’t help that to me this tastes a lot like Harney and Son’s Tokyo, which I also bought recently.

And which I haven’t reviewed yet, but did try, and found the caramel taste to be lacking from that also.

Thus far, my favourite caramel flavoured green tea is still the one from Persimmon Tree.

I shall keep messing with these other two though, lawd knows I have enough!

If anyone would like to try this, hit me up. I was so excited to taste it after reading other reviews, but I feel as though I’m definitely missing something.

Courtney compared it to Nina’s Japon in her review, and strangely enough I also found that one to be suspiciously lacking in caramel taste. Maybe my tongue is broken where caramel is concerned. Or maybe I’d notice it if I tried sweetening these teas.

Ah well. So far the only disappointment from my long awaited Lupicia order!

Courtney

Darn! I really enjoyed this one. I hope the others work out a bit better. :)

mj

I also didn’t taste much caramel in Nina’s Japon. But it was still pretty good

boychik

Did you add any sweetener, just a bit it bring out the caramel? I haven’t try this tea, just guessing. Also I’ve noticed more flavors as tea cools.

Dexter

I really liked this one too – love the nutty roasty hojicha, I thought that gave it a bit of “burned sugar” that I associate with caramel.
Sorry that you aren’t enjoying it – but you seem to like most of your Lupica order – maybe this one just isn’t meant to be…

whatshesaid

I didn’t mind the nutty/roasty hojicha, I just didn’t get much else out of it! I’m wondering if my idea of what caramel is doesn’t line up with reality, haha. I will try this again with a bit of sugar though!