Milk Caramel

Green Tea
Almond, Creamy, Roasted, Sweet, Toasty, Caramel, Chestnut, Grass, Smoke, Wood, Dark Wood, Earth, Cream, Nutty, Nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by cookies

From Lupicia

Sweet aroma of milk caramel brings out the comforting aroma of houjicha.

Ingredients: Roasted Green Tea, Almond Flavoring. Contains: Almonds.

(French Lupicia: Caramel au lait.)

About Lupicia View company

Butterscotch: if you like it, you’ll enjoy this tea. Smells like it and tastes like it… well, like toasted butterscotch, and not quite as sweet. There’s quite a bit of flavor here, no focused attention is necessary. Also Crystal, who surprised me with this delicious gift, noted a nutty flavor as well, good call on that subtlety; I’d peg it as hazelnut.

The creamy mouthfeel continues into a lengthy aftertaste, which is quite nice… like breathing butterscotch-caramel.

I’d recommend this tea for folks like me who don’t seek out “sweet” teas but enjoy a little sweetness now and then as long as it’s not all high notes.

This would be good to use as a flavoring for more plain teas, like that nondescript black that you want to use up. So … on the 3rd steep I added some Irish Breakfast that I actually like, and the results are great. Delicious, it cut some of the sweetness and added more interest to the black tea. This would be a great satisfying Saturday breakfast tea, now, like tea with a little sweet roll on the side, without the calories. When added to another tea like this, I’d give this a 90 rating. The strength of the flavor holds up remarkably well.

Mmm, this tea has a nice toasty flavor, just what you’d expect from houjicha. The caramel adds a nice sweet note, and the creamy-ness is an interseting compliment for the green tea.

Caramel and houjicha- I was very skeptical. A friend sent me a sample of this, and it is actually quite good! Probably not something I would re-order, but something interesting for a change of pace. The caramel flavor compliments the houjicha very well, and it makes for a brew that is slightly reminiscent of coffee… in a good way.

Steeped this one longer then I meant to. So there’s a slight bitterness to it but honestly it kinda makes me think of burnt sugar, in the good way. I’m not a huge fan of hojicha but it works pretty well in this one

1 tsp

Thanks to TeaBrat for sharing this sample! I believe I last had this tea about five years ago, which predates my finding Steepster. The aroma is familiar and comforting. Milk Caramel is a lovely tea. It doesn’t taste like a flavored tea. Rather, it tastes like an unflavored tea that just naturally has this amazing flavor.

It’s a houjicha base, which is a roasted green tea. It has a lovely roasted, warm aroma and flavor that is very representative of high quality houjicha. The added flavoring listed is just almonds. Well, that’s why I love this tea so much. Give me almond anything and I’m in Heaven!

Milk Caramel is an interesting name because while this tea doesn’t have overt milk or caramel flavorings, it does evoke these notes. There’s a creaminess and a sweetness that is reminiscent of both milk and caramel. Mmmm, toasty and delicious! I am definitely a fan of this one! Maybe I’ll pick up some for the office…nooo! I must resist!

I’ve done a good job of resisting Verdant Tea’s latest sale and clearance and now they’re sold out of the teas I wanted. :( Sad for me but good for my wallet. I’ve already placed three orders with them over the last few months! I simply have no budget left for more tea. That’s why I’m especially thankful to TeaBrat for making this tasting possible. I’ve found a good tea friend in you! :)

Flavors: Almond, Creamy, Roasted, Sweet, Toasty

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
TeaBrat

I should drink this stuff more often, I keep forgetting about it. :P

A very pleasant surprise. Never should have doubted Lupicia.

Milk Caramel isn’t sweet, but it’s this gorgeous toasty caramelized flavor that instantly warms you up. It’s delicious iced as well. I can only imagine how good it would taste sweetened.

Flavors: Caramel, Toasty

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I rarely comment on the scent of the dry leaves, but this smells amazing! I know that its caramel, but to me it smells almost like a rich butter cookie. I kept smelling the bag while I was waiting for the water to heat up.

The aroma mellows out upon brewing, but the flavor is full but light. The creaminess that comes from the milk caramel blends nicely with the roasted flavor of houjicha.

I think I’ll need to buy this when the weather gets colder. This would be nice on a cold morning.

Matcha/Green TTB #9

Lupcia’s Honey & Pear is easily 20x better than this is. For whatever reason I was not feeling this…

Coming back home from the grand city means having time to actually drink tea again! This is one of my favourites from Lupicia so far, as most have been a miss for me up until now. I’m a fan of houjicha so it’s no surprise that I’m thoroughly enjoying the sweet, roasty base with the creamy caramel-like notes floating in the background.

Lupicia suggests steeping this with boiling water. I personally think that’s nuts, so I let the water cool for a few minutes then let it steep for two minutes and those parameters seem to work very well.

Jennkay

Lupicia recommends boiling water for a lot of teas that I think is nuts, esp green teas.

OMGsrsly

Nooooo but it works! I’ve tried all my Lupicia teas with boiling water for 1-2 minutes, VS how I’d usually steep them. Melon Oolong only gets boiling water now. Even Napa Blanc was better with boiling water, although I didn’t care for the flavour.

Fjellrev

I’ll try but I’m skeptical after trying another one of theirs (can’t remember which one) with boiling water and it was a bitter mess. I agree, Jennkay, for greens especially, it’s like WTF.

OMGsrsly

I haven’t had that experience yet. :) Thank goodness!

CHAroma

Oh, I haven’t had this in so long and now I really want some!

Woo, finally got to try some of this tea (which has been on my wish list for at least a couple years) courtesy of Sil :D

Although I certainly enjoyed drinking it, I was kind of disappointed in the flavour – nice lightly toasty houjicha, but not nearly as much creamy caramel as I was hoping for. The flavour was definitely there, just not overly strong. I’m pretty sure I’ve read other reviews with similar experiences, so I’m guessing it’s not an age or storage issue, but I’d try it again if I had the chance, if only because I think houjicha is a great base tea that’s underused (and I want to encourage its use).