Milk Caramel

Green Tea
Chestnut, Grass, Roasted, Sweet, Caramel, Smoke, Wood, Dark Wood, Earth, Toasty, Cream, Nutty, Nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by cookies

From Lupicia

Sweet aroma of milk caramel brings out the comforting aroma of houjicha.

Ingredients: Roasted Green Tea, Almond Flavoring. Contains: Almonds.

(French Lupicia: Caramel au lait.)

About Lupicia View company

Butterscotch: if you like it, you’ll enjoy this tea. Smells like it and tastes like it… well, like toasted butterscotch, and not quite as sweet. There’s quite a bit of flavor here, no focused attention is necessary. Also Crystal, who surprised me with this delicious gift, noted a nutty flavor as well, good call on that subtlety; I’d peg it as hazelnut.

The creamy mouthfeel continues into a lengthy aftertaste, which is quite nice… like breathing butterscotch-caramel.

I’d recommend this tea for folks like me who don’t seek out “sweet” teas but enjoy a little sweetness now and then as long as it’s not all high notes.

This would be good to use as a flavoring for more plain teas, like that nondescript black that you want to use up. So … on the 3rd steep I added some Irish Breakfast that I actually like, and the results are great. Delicious, it cut some of the sweetness and added more interest to the black tea. This would be a great satisfying Saturday breakfast tea, now, like tea with a little sweet roll on the side, without the calories. When added to another tea like this, I’d give this a 90 rating. The strength of the flavor holds up remarkably well.

Mmm, this tea has a nice toasty flavor, just what you’d expect from houjicha. The caramel adds a nice sweet note, and the creamy-ness is an interseting compliment for the green tea.

Caramel and houjicha- I was very skeptical. A friend sent me a sample of this, and it is actually quite good! Probably not something I would re-order, but something interesting for a change of pace. The caramel flavor compliments the houjicha very well, and it makes for a brew that is slightly reminiscent of coffee… in a good way.

Coming back home from the grand city means having time to actually drink tea again! This is one of my favourites from Lupicia so far, as most have been a miss for me up until now. I’m a fan of houjicha so it’s no surprise that I’m thoroughly enjoying the sweet, roasty base with the creamy caramel-like notes floating in the background.

Lupicia suggests steeping this with boiling water. I personally think that’s nuts, so I let the water cool for a few minutes then let it steep for two minutes and those parameters seem to work very well.

Jennkay

Lupicia recommends boiling water for a lot of teas that I think is nuts, esp green teas.

OMGsrsly

Nooooo but it works! I’ve tried all my Lupicia teas with boiling water for 1-2 minutes, VS how I’d usually steep them. Melon Oolong only gets boiling water now. Even Napa Blanc was better with boiling water, although I didn’t care for the flavour.

Fjellrev

I’ll try but I’m skeptical after trying another one of theirs (can’t remember which one) with boiling water and it was a bitter mess. I agree, Jennkay, for greens especially, it’s like WTF.

OMGsrsly

I haven’t had that experience yet. :) Thank goodness!

CHAroma

Oh, I haven’t had this in so long and now I really want some!

Woo, finally got to try some of this tea (which has been on my wish list for at least a couple years) courtesy of Sil :D

Although I certainly enjoyed drinking it, I was kind of disappointed in the flavour – nice lightly toasty houjicha, but not nearly as much creamy caramel as I was hoping for. The flavour was definitely there, just not overly strong. I’m pretty sure I’ve read other reviews with similar experiences, so I’m guessing it’s not an age or storage issue, but I’d try it again if I had the chance, if only because I think houjicha is a great base tea that’s underused (and I want to encourage its use).

Note of bitter grassy/leafy taste. Houjicha is an interesting choice for a flavoured tea. I find that it has a quite unique flavour itself and could use a complement flavouring. This tea tastes mainly like Houjicha with a very faint caramel sweetness note. I think a bit of a stronger caramel flavour would do well here. The Houjicha on its own is quite tasty with fresh roasted tones and light chestnut finish.

Thanks to Sil for sharing with me!

Flavors: Chestnut, Grass, Roasted, Sweet

Fjellrev

Oh nuts, I ordered this one and was looking forward to an ultra caramel flavour. Too bad about the bitterness too.

Raritea

It might be because I didn’t drink this quickly enough or all the delicious flavour bits sank to the bottom. I would definitely be willing to give this one another shot (I still have some sample left too!). The Houjicha in this one was quite nice and carries the tea even with a milder flavour.

Indigobloom

Hmm I would have thought those two would work great together!

I’ve just come to the conclusion that you have to get houjicha just right or else it tastes like trees. Or, apparently, unless you flavor it, as is the case here! I like this! It does taste a little bit like wood, and I’m not really tasting the milk, but I really like the smokey-caramel taste and I’m definitely going to try out more flavored houjichas in the future.

Flavors: Caramel, Smoke, Wood

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I am so happy with this tea, it’s got a yummy smell and taste. It’s got that roasted taste like barley/houjicha that I really like. Very comforting on a stormy not so good night… now where’s my cookies…

From the SanTEA Claus TTB

This is alright, but I don’t love it. It taste like a roasted butterscotch to me, and, while I didn’t have a problem finishing my cup, it’s not something I’d want to purchase.

Really enjoying this tea this morning. It’s so good with almond milk.Makes it supper creamy….yum!