Milk Caramel

Green Tea
Almond, Creamy, Roasted, Sweet, Toasty, Caramel, Chestnut, Grass, Smoke, Wood, Dark Wood, Earth, Cream, Nutty, Nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by cookies

• “The scent of the dry leaves is amazing! I can really smell the creaminess of the caramel. It reminds me very much of the popular caramel spread from Argentina called “dulce de...” Read full tasting note
    StephL535 314 tasting notes
  • “Oh…my…goodness this is good. Yummy. This tea is a must try for those who love caramel. The toasty flavor of the houjicha is a brilliant pairing with the caramel flavor, giving it a...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4833 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Doulton for passing this tea onto me. It was delicious, not sure if it was a true caramel flavor but there was a sweet roasted flavor that was very enjoyable. It is a sophisticated...” Read full tasting note
    RachanaC 432 tasting notes
  • “This tea smells creamy, buttery, green, toasty and earthy all at once. I’m really looking forward to sipping! The scent smells so rich that it has me expecting a really thick or full...” Read full tasting note
    QueenOfTarts 593 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Sweet aroma of milk caramel brings out the comforting aroma of houjicha.

Ingredients: Roasted Green Tea, Almond Flavoring. Contains: Almonds.

(French Lupicia: Caramel au lait.)

About Lupicia View company

Butterscotch: if you like it, you’ll enjoy this tea. Smells like it and tastes like it… well, like toasted butterscotch, and not quite as sweet. There’s quite a bit of flavor here, no focused attention is necessary. Also Crystal, who surprised me with this delicious gift, noted a nutty flavor as well, good call on that subtlety; I’d peg it as hazelnut.

The creamy mouthfeel continues into a lengthy aftertaste, which is quite nice… like breathing butterscotch-caramel.

I’d recommend this tea for folks like me who don’t seek out “sweet” teas but enjoy a little sweetness now and then as long as it’s not all high notes.

This would be good to use as a flavoring for more plain teas, like that nondescript black that you want to use up. So … on the 3rd steep I added some Irish Breakfast that I actually like, and the results are great. Delicious, it cut some of the sweetness and added more interest to the black tea. This would be a great satisfying Saturday breakfast tea, now, like tea with a little sweet roll on the side, without the calories. When added to another tea like this, I’d give this a 90 rating. The strength of the flavor holds up remarkably well.

Mmm, this tea has a nice toasty flavor, just what you’d expect from houjicha. The caramel adds a nice sweet note, and the creamy-ness is an interseting compliment for the green tea.

Caramel and houjicha- I was very skeptical. A friend sent me a sample of this, and it is actually quite good! Probably not something I would re-order, but something interesting for a change of pace. The caramel flavor compliments the houjicha very well, and it makes for a brew that is slightly reminiscent of coffee… in a good way.

Steeped this one longer then I meant to. So there’s a slight bitterness to it but honestly it kinda makes me think of burnt sugar, in the good way. I’m not a huge fan of hojicha but it works pretty well in this one

1 tsp

Thanks to TeaBrat for sharing this sample! I believe I last had this tea about five years ago, which predates my finding Steepster. The aroma is familiar and comforting. Milk Caramel is a lovely tea. It doesn’t taste like a flavored tea. Rather, it tastes like an unflavored tea that just naturally has this amazing flavor.

It’s a houjicha base, which is a roasted green tea. It has a lovely roasted, warm aroma and flavor that is very representative of high quality houjicha. The added flavoring listed is just almonds. Well, that’s why I love this tea so much. Give me almond anything and I’m in Heaven!

Milk Caramel is an interesting name because while this tea doesn’t have overt milk or caramel flavorings, it does evoke these notes. There’s a creaminess and a sweetness that is reminiscent of both milk and caramel. Mmmm, toasty and delicious! I am definitely a fan of this one! Maybe I’ll pick up some for the office…nooo! I must resist!

I’ve done a good job of resisting Verdant Tea’s latest sale and clearance and now they’re sold out of the teas I wanted. :( Sad for me but good for my wallet. I’ve already placed three orders with them over the last few months! I simply have no budget left for more tea. That’s why I’m especially thankful to TeaBrat for making this tasting possible. I’ve found a good tea friend in you! :)

Flavors: Almond, Creamy, Roasted, Sweet, Toasty

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I should drink this stuff more often, I keep forgetting about it. :P

A very pleasant surprise. Never should have doubted Lupicia.

Milk Caramel isn’t sweet, but it’s this gorgeous toasty caramelized flavor that instantly warms you up. It’s delicious iced as well. I can only imagine how good it would taste sweetened.

Flavors: Caramel, Toasty

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I rarely comment on the scent of the dry leaves, but this smells amazing! I know that its caramel, but to me it smells almost like a rich butter cookie. I kept smelling the bag while I was waiting for the water to heat up.

The aroma mellows out upon brewing, but the flavor is full but light. The creaminess that comes from the milk caramel blends nicely with the roasted flavor of houjicha.

I think I’ll need to buy this when the weather gets colder. This would be nice on a cold morning.

Matcha/Green TTB #9

Lupcia’s Honey & Pear is easily 20x better than this is. For whatever reason I was not feeling this…

Sipdown. You know how their Chestnut green tastes like salmon teriyaki to me? Well, this seems to have taken that route in recent times, as well. I’m starting to think that their caramel flavouring is doing that to me, and even more likely, when it’s starting to age. This did not taste like that when I first got it, so I suspect it was fresh while the Chestnut was already older when I got it.

I tried finishing this up over the past few days. Had a few cups, but after the last one, I decided to throw the remaining 12g of leaf into the garbage. Just not worth it!

Evol Ving Ness

This sounds like a good one when it is fresh. How old is it? In other words, how long does it take to turn ugly?

I could very well be the problem, but FWIW, I got this back in the spring, and have stored it in an airtight tin since. Half a year, I’d say? It was quite good fresh. Nice roasty base with subtle creamy caramel flavouring.

Evol Ving Ness

Half a year is not all that long. :(

Yeah, unless you’re going to drink it immediately, I don’t think there’s a point in getting it. Actually, I’ve found Lupicia’s stuff quite disappointing, but it seems like I’m the odd one out since they have a lot of fans.

I muchly prefer Bird Pick’s Caramel Houjicha (oh wait, so there’s another caramel tea I recommend).

Oh, Bird Pick’s Caramel Houjicha is amazing. And for Lupicia, I adore Chaud Les Marrons! and also the melon oolong… I haven’t loved many of their other teas though.

I still have an unopened package of Melon Oolong so I’m looking forward to it! Plus I do love their Golden Honeydew, although I’ve yet to write a tasting note about it.

I’m saving my unopened Melon Oolong packet. :D So many teas to drink first, and I think I prefer it iced. So it’s a bit more of a summer tea than a winter tea.

Ohhh, I’m going to try it cold brewed soon now that you mention it. :)

I didn’t like it cold brewed as much as I liked hot brewing it and dumping it on ice. But YMMV, etc. :)

Interesting! I pretty much never do it that way, mostly because I’m lazy and never have ice cubes around. But perhaps I should try both ways.

Woo, finally got to try some of this tea (which has been on my wish list for at least a couple years) courtesy of Sil :D

Although I certainly enjoyed drinking it, I was kind of disappointed in the flavour – nice lightly toasty houjicha, but not nearly as much creamy caramel as I was hoping for. The flavour was definitely there, just not overly strong. I’m pretty sure I’ve read other reviews with similar experiences, so I’m guessing it’s not an age or storage issue, but I’d try it again if I had the chance, if only because I think houjicha is a great base tea that’s underused (and I want to encourage its use).