Milk Caramel

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Anna

• “The scent of the dry leaves is amazing! I can really smell the _creaminess_ of the caramel. It reminds me very much of the popular caramel spread from Argentina called "dulce de leche". The tea...” Read full tasting note
    StephL535 314 tasting notes
  • “Oh...my...goodness this is good. Yummy. This tea is a must try for those who love caramel. The toasty flavor of the houjicha is a brilliant pairing with the caramel flavor, giving it a roasty...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4366 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Doulton for passing this tea onto me. It was delicious, not sure if it was a true caramel flavor but there was a sweet roasted flavor that was very enjoyable. It is a sophisticated...” Read full tasting note
    RachanaC 429 tasting notes
  • “This tea smells creamy, buttery, green, toasty and earthy all at once. I'm really looking forward to sipping! The scent smells so rich that it has me expecting a really thick or full mouthfeel....” Read full tasting note
    QueenOfTarts 523 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Sweet aroma of milk caramel brings out the comforting aroma of houjicha.

(French Lupicia: Caramel au lait.)

About Lupicia View company

Butterscotch: if you like it, you’ll enjoy this tea. Smells like it and tastes like it… well, like toasted butterscotch, and not quite as sweet. There’s quite a bit of flavor here, no focused attention is necessary. Also Crystal, who surprised me with this delicious gift, noted a nutty flavor as well, good call on that subtlety; I’d peg it as hazelnut.

The creamy mouthfeel continues into a lengthy aftertaste, which is quite nice… like breathing butterscotch-caramel.

I’d recommend this tea for folks like me who don’t seek out “sweet” teas but enjoy a little sweetness now and then as long as it’s not all high notes.

This would be good to use as a flavoring for more plain teas, like that nondescript black that you want to use up. So … on the 3rd steep I added some Irish Breakfast that I actually like, and the results are great. Delicious, it cut some of the sweetness and added more interest to the black tea. This would be a great satisfying Saturday breakfast tea, now, like tea with a little sweet roll on the side, without the calories. When added to another tea like this, I’d give this a 90 rating. The strength of the flavor holds up remarkably well.

Mmm, this tea has a nice toasty flavor, just what you’d expect from houjicha. The caramel adds a nice sweet note, and the creamy-ness is an interseting compliment for the green tea.

Caramel and houjicha- I was very skeptical. A friend sent me a sample of this, and it is actually quite good! Probably not something I would re-order, but something interesting for a change of pace. The caramel flavor compliments the houjicha very well, and it makes for a brew that is slightly reminiscent of coffee… in a good way.

Thank you so much Tealizzy for this bonus swap sample!

I LOVE the idea of a caramel flavored houjicah. How brilliant! This one is strong on the caramel scent, but light on the caramel flavor. The houjicha has a lovely roasty taste though, so I am really enjoying this. YAY!!!!

Dustin

Bird Pick has a caramel houjicha too that I really like! It is a good combo. I’ll have to try Lupicia’s version some day.

The third Lupicia tea that I tried from my recent order.
I kept telling myself I’d hold back and wait to finish some older teas before digging into these, but I was too damn excited. I have zero restraint at the best of times, to be honest.

This was the first one to disappoint me, sadly.
I’m not sure where the caramel is?

I added some milk, which brought out the creamy aspect, but really I was just tasting a toasty green tea. Perhaps there’s an underlying sweetness that one could attribute to caramel flavouring, but I am not that one.

Maybe different steeping parameters would make a difference.

It also doesn’t help that to me this tastes a lot like Harney and Son’s Tokyo, which I also bought recently.

And which I haven’t reviewed yet, but did try, and found the caramel taste to be lacking from that also.

Thus far, my favourite caramel flavoured green tea is still the one from Persimmon Tree.

I shall keep messing with these other two though, lawd knows I have enough!

If anyone would like to try this, hit me up. I was so excited to taste it after reading other reviews, but I feel as though I’m definitely missing something.

Courtney compared it to Nina’s Japon in her review, and strangely enough I also found that one to be suspiciously lacking in caramel taste. Maybe my tongue is broken where caramel is concerned. Or maybe I’d notice it if I tried sweetening these teas.

Ah well. So far the only disappointment from my long awaited Lupicia order!

Courtney

Darn! I really enjoyed this one. I hope the others work out a bit better. :)

mj

I also didn’t taste much caramel in Nina’s Japon. But it was still pretty good

boychik

Did you add any sweetener, just a bit it bring out the caramel? I haven’t try this tea, just guessing. Also I’ve noticed more flavors as tea cools.

Dexter

I really liked this one too – love the nutty roasty hojicha, I thought that gave it a bit of “burned sugar” that I associate with caramel.
Sorry that you aren’t enjoying it – but you seem to like most of your Lupica order – maybe this one just isn’t meant to be…

whatshesaid

I didn’t mind the nutty/roasty hojicha, I just didn’t get much else out of it! I’m wondering if my idea of what caramel is doesn’t line up with reality, haha. I will try this again with a bit of sugar though!

Backlog from last night….

After the issue with the Cheesecake Honeybush last night, I wanted to try something else from Dexter, but still low in caffeine, and I chose this. I wanted to try this one to see how it compares to the caramel houjicha I have from Bird Pick. I’d say they are similar, but where the BP one is more roasty toasty, this one is smoother. It’s really a quite nice tea, and I like them both, but for different reasons. This one was a little more caramel and less roast.

whatshesaid

Awesome, I don’t regret ordering this one!

Amariel

It is good! I think it is different than the Nina’s Paris one. Though I love that one.

Tea #7 from the Traveling Tea Box C Round 2
Yes, this is the second TTB for the night. More will come soon. I’m planning on doing a cram of TTB teas in the next few days since I realized that I’ve had this box nearly a week and still have a pile of teas to try. /shakes fist at work/ I’ve already weeded out a few that I was just kinda interested in trying but won’t lose sleep if I don’t Lol.
Smelling the brew reminds me of genmatcha with that roasted rice sort of smell. But really giving it a good whiff and thinking about it it turns into a buttery caramel smell. Maybe salted caramel.
Tastewise I get hay. Sweet, clean, but hay nonetheless. And watery. Maybe I needed to use more than a tsp for the 8oz? Dunno. Vaguely get something that could be caramel. But definitely not what the smell would imply.
Adding a bit of truvia made it sweeter, toned the hay down a bit so it’s more background and not foreground, and kinda made the caramel come up better. But it’s still weak so I’m inclined to believe I underleafed this one.
But drinking this makes me curious about other hojicha. Since it’s a green I wasn’t that interested in trying it. But it seems like it’s closer to a roasted oolong in taste, so I might consider giving others a shot.
This one however, was just so so and not something I’d order.

Of course, when planning a DavidsTea lunch stop, one must also stop by Lupicia. :)

I really wanted to pick up some momo oolong, but they’re still out, and for some reason I got it in my head that I wanted to try the melon oolong (probably steepster’s doing!), but I also saw this tea, remembered something vaguely positive on steepster, and bought it. Heehee!

I really enjoy toasty teas, including genmaicha and roasty oolongs, but I only had houjicha once, and I think it was before I really could appreciate it. This tea totally delivers. It’s sweet, like burnt sugar, and toasty, like a roasted oolong. It actually reminds me of Della Terra’s caramel oolong, which I quite enjoy. And it’s cheaper! Score!! Now, it’s not like an ooey-gooey caramel, so don’t expect that and you’ll be fine. I didn’t add anything, although I think it might be interesting to see what a splash of almond milk might do. I am currently enjoying the second steep, and I’m happy to say it’s resteepable. Nice!

whatshesaid

This one is on my “buy tea and get it shipped to my American relatives so they can bring it to me this summer when they visit” list! :)

This is fantastic. LOVE IT. Toasty, roasty, caramel, desserty, yummy, oooyyy – goooy good.

Thank you so much ifjuly for sending a sample of this my way.

Amariel

This one is on my wishlist, though I have a caramel houjicha from Bird Pick, so I’m curious how they compare.

Dexter

Amariel I can send you some and anything else that you might want to try from my cupboard….

Amariel

Thanks! I replied to your PM!

I over-steeped it this time, but it’s still rather good. It’s very roasty and sweet and creamy, and I can definitely tell it’s a green houjicha tea. I like it. I don’t know if I’d drink 50g of it, but I do like it when I’m in the mood for it!

Thanks Kat_Maria! (179)

Amariel

I wonder how this compares to my caramel houjicha from Bird Pick.

Cavocorax

I’m not sure? I don’t think I’ve had any other caramel houjicha.

Amariel

I didn’t give you any at the swap? I thought I gave everyone some. Maybe I didn’t?

Cavocorax

You might have? Ican’t find a note for it though. :| Sorry!

Amariel

It’s ok. I’m sorry if I missed you!