Milk Caramel

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Anna

• “The scent of the dry leaves is amazing! I can really smell the _creaminess_ of the caramel. It reminds me very much of the popular caramel spread from Argentina called "dulce de leche". The tea...” Read full tasting note
    StephL535 314 tasting notes
  • “Oh...my...goodness this is good. Yummy. This tea is a must try for those who love caramel. The toasty flavor of the houjicha is a brilliant pairing with the caramel flavor, giving it a roasty...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4303 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Doulton for passing this tea onto me. It was delicious, not sure if it was a true caramel flavor but there was a sweet roasted flavor that was very enjoyable. It is a sophisticated...” Read full tasting note
    RachanaC 429 tasting notes
  • “This tea smells creamy, buttery, green, toasty and earthy all at once. I'm really looking forward to sipping! The scent smells so rich that it has me expecting a really thick or full mouthfeel....” Read full tasting note
    QueenOfTarts 510 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Sweet aroma of milk caramel brings out the comforting aroma of houjicha.

(French Lupicia: Caramel au lait.)

About Lupicia View company

Butterscotch: if you like it, you’ll enjoy this tea. Smells like it and tastes like it… well, like toasted butterscotch, and not quite as sweet. There’s quite a bit of flavor here, no focused attention is necessary. Also Crystal, who surprised me with this delicious gift, noted a nutty flavor as well, good call on that subtlety; I’d peg it as hazelnut.

The creamy mouthfeel continues into a lengthy aftertaste, which is quite nice… like breathing butterscotch-caramel.

I’d recommend this tea for folks like me who don’t seek out “sweet” teas but enjoy a little sweetness now and then as long as it’s not all high notes.

This would be good to use as a flavoring for more plain teas, like that nondescript black that you want to use up. So … on the 3rd steep I added some Irish Breakfast that I actually like, and the results are great. Delicious, it cut some of the sweetness and added more interest to the black tea. This would be a great satisfying Saturday breakfast tea, now, like tea with a little sweet roll on the side, without the calories. When added to another tea like this, I’d give this a 90 rating. The strength of the flavor holds up remarkably well.

Mmm, this tea has a nice toasty flavor, just what you’d expect from houjicha. The caramel adds a nice sweet note, and the creamy-ness is an interseting compliment for the green tea.

Caramel and houjicha- I was very skeptical. A friend sent me a sample of this, and it is actually quite good! Probably not something I would re-order, but something interesting for a change of pace. The caramel flavor compliments the houjicha very well, and it makes for a brew that is slightly reminiscent of coffee… in a good way.

Backlog from last night….

After the issue with the Cheesecake Honeybush last night, I wanted to try something else from Dexter, but still low in caffeine, and I chose this. I wanted to try this one to see how it compares to the caramel houjicha I have from Bird Pick. I’d say they are similar, but where the BP one is more roasty toasty, this one is smoother. It’s really a quite nice tea, and I like them both, but for different reasons. This one was a little more caramel and less roast.

whatshesaid

Awesome, I don’t regret ordering this one!

Amariel

It is good! I think it is different than the Nina’s Paris one. Though I love that one.

Tea #7 from the Traveling Tea Box C Round 2
Yes, this is the second TTB for the night. More will come soon. I’m planning on doing a cram of TTB teas in the next few days since I realized that I’ve had this box nearly a week and still have a pile of teas to try. /shakes fist at work/ I’ve already weeded out a few that I was just kinda interested in trying but won’t lose sleep if I don’t Lol.
Smelling the brew reminds me of genmatcha with that roasted rice sort of smell. But really giving it a good whiff and thinking about it it turns into a buttery caramel smell. Maybe salted caramel.
Tastewise I get hay. Sweet, clean, but hay nonetheless. And watery. Maybe I needed to use more than a tsp for the 8oz? Dunno. Vaguely get something that could be caramel. But definitely not what the smell would imply.
Adding a bit of truvia made it sweeter, toned the hay down a bit so it’s more background and not foreground, and kinda made the caramel come up better. But it’s still weak so I’m inclined to believe I underleafed this one.
But drinking this makes me curious about other hojicha. Since it’s a green I wasn’t that interested in trying it. But it seems like it’s closer to a roasted oolong in taste, so I might consider giving others a shot.
This one however, was just so so and not something I’d order.

Of course, when planning a DavidsTea lunch stop, one must also stop by Lupicia. :)

I really wanted to pick up some momo oolong, but they’re still out, and for some reason I got it in my head that I wanted to try the melon oolong (probably steepster’s doing!), but I also saw this tea, remembered something vaguely positive on steepster, and bought it. Heehee!

I really enjoy toasty teas, including genmaicha and roasty oolongs, but I only had houjicha once, and I think it was before I really could appreciate it. This tea totally delivers. It’s sweet, like burnt sugar, and toasty, like a roasted oolong. It actually reminds me of Della Terra’s caramel oolong, which I quite enjoy. And it’s cheaper! Score!! Now, it’s not like an ooey-gooey caramel, so don’t expect that and you’ll be fine. I didn’t add anything, although I think it might be interesting to see what a splash of almond milk might do. I am currently enjoying the second steep, and I’m happy to say it’s resteepable. Nice!

whatshesaid

This one is on my “buy tea and get it shipped to my American relatives so they can bring it to me this summer when they visit” list! :)

This is fantastic. LOVE IT. Toasty, roasty, caramel, desserty, yummy, oooyyy – goooy good.

Thank you so much ifjuly for sending a sample of this my way.

Amariel

This one is on my wishlist, though I have a caramel houjicha from Bird Pick, so I’m curious how they compare.

Dexter

Amariel I can send you some and anything else that you might want to try from my cupboard….

Amariel

Thanks! I replied to your PM!

I over-steeped it this time, but it’s still rather good. It’s very roasty and sweet and creamy, and I can definitely tell it’s a green houjicha tea. I like it. I don’t know if I’d drink 50g of it, but I do like it when I’m in the mood for it!

Thanks Kat_Maria! (179)

Amariel

I wonder how this compares to my caramel houjicha from Bird Pick.

Cavocorax

I’m not sure? I don’t think I’ve had any other caramel houjicha.

Amariel

I didn’t give you any at the swap? I thought I gave everyone some. Maybe I didn’t?

Cavocorax

You might have? Ican’t find a note for it though. :| Sorry!

Amariel

It’s ok. I’m sorry if I missed you!

This is interesting – I bought this with very low expectations, as it sounds so generic – I mean, caramel this or caramel that seems to be in everything – it’s hardly a novelty.

Then again, it’s Lupicia, so I absolutely had to try it.

In the bag, this is a boozefest – a very liqueurey caramel, which really does veer far closer to hazelnut. I think this would have been the potentially fatal flaw of this tea – the blend of sweet, thick dulce de leche caramel and the roasty houjicha adds up to something very close to hazelnut/walnut/whatevernut tea, as it is generally presented in much lesser (yes, I mean German) blends.

But even though the flavour is very familiar, Lupicia take it to another level entirely. This is what really does it for me with their teas – they never feel disgusting or wrong in any way. I have never had a green anynut-flavoured tea that didn’t make my throat slightly itchy as the liquid cooled, or that wasn’t thick and oily from the leaf. But this one? No – every sip is clean and smooth, all toasted nut caramel. Even cold, the dregs of this are beautiful. I’d latte the fuck out of this one if I could.

I don’t want any of the other nut teas anymore (coconut, you are exempt and may go back to your seat) because this is all I’m going to need. (And I haven’t felt like that about anything since, say, February 2012 or so.)

[From my Lupicia order to Rome, April 2014.]

VariaTEA

Anna, we are tea twins today!!!

CHAroma

Mmmm, reading your review reminded me how much I love this tea even though I haven’t tasted it in years. I need to pick some up!

want

Anna

VariaTEA – yes! And now I REALLY REALLY have to try Japon even more, haha.

CHAroma – have you had it with milk? Was it good?

Siller – add it to the swaplist, then. Type type! Swift pawfeets!

swap list! oh noes..my hairs, they were slacking…

VariaTEA

I am always happy to share some Japon :)

Anna

Sil – Siller Slackerhairs.

VariaTEA – Aww, that’s so sweet of you. Well, it certainly doesn’t seem like I’ll be getting it any other way (SIDE-EYE LAURENT) so let’s consider a swap, maybe? =)

VariaTEA

Haha I think we decided like a month ago to swap and nothing ever came of it :P. This time, we must be proactive

Anna

Oh, the SWAMP that is my inbox. I really must try to go through it some day, but all those nice messages! I love them! Nooooo.

Do you remember what we talked about swapping then?

CHAroma

The last time I tried this tea was back in 2010 before I found Steepster. I believe I drank it straight with no additions.

Anna

Oh, it’s definitely time to get some more and see if your palate changed! Always scary, but interesting.

VariaTEA

I have no idea. I just remember we decided in the comments of another tasting note and then nothing ever happened. Haha. C’est la vie.

Anna

Haha, yeah – but let’s make it happen. I’ll come find you after my deadlines.

Thank you Kat_Maria for sharing this with me. Surprisingly, I am not loving it. I mean, Milk Caramel sounds AMAZING but is really just okay. To be honest, I am actually thankful to have found a Lupicia blend that is mediocre because I don’t think my wallet could handle it if they were all amazing!!

I realized I said nothing about this tea. Whoops, fail. It is essentially a very mellow hojicha with a buttery smooth caramel flavor. Also, it is getting better as it cools, though I still feel as though something is missing. Perhaps it is because hojicha is roasty, thus reminiscent of a genmaicha, and the caramel flavor is making me want Japon. Not bad, but not amazing either.