Marron Chocolat

Edit tea info Last updated by JMKauftheil

• “In celebration of the end of snowstorm Nemo, I decided to try this out. I am glad it stopped snowing! We got about 10 inches of snow. Thank you *Lady 0f Spaydes* for this sample! I used up the...” Read full tasting note
    oOTeaOo 1569 tasting notes
  • “An old favorite. Very good for the cold weather, and I brewed this tonight for the first time in months. A bit of milk, a few spoonfuls of sugar, and this tea tastes like a gourmet hot chocolate. I...” Read full tasting note
    imdeadgoaway 74 tasting notes
  • “This is one of the first loose leaf teas I purchased, but now I am drinking my last bit of this tea. Definitely the best chocolate flavored tea I have had yet. Goodbye sweet tea! I have...” Read full tasting note
    Lady0fSpaydes 47 tasting notes
  • “Before steeping: Scent- Dark chocolate and chesnut After Steeping: Color- Honey Scent- Nutella and black tea and a hiny of Vanilla Taste: Nude- Rich hazelnut, very strong flavoring,...” Read full tasting note
    History_Laced 18 tasting notes

From Lupicia

The sweetness of the chestnut and astringency of its skin bring out the high-quality cocoa flavor.

About Lupicia View company

In celebration of the end of snowstorm Nemo, I decided to try this out. I am glad it stopped snowing! We got about 10 inches of snow. Thank you Lady 0f Spaydes for this sample! I used up the whole bag for my husband and I. My sense of smell isn’t that strong this morning, so I couldn’t smell the dry leaf. But I saw bits of cacao perhaps or bits of brown in there. Maybe it was chocolate or some nut? Once steeped (Western style), I could smell the cacao very strongly, which I love so much! The scent reminded me of Tisano’s Cacao Tea (which is also a very delightful tisane!).

Anyhow, this brewed a nice dark amber brown liquid. I added a few spoons of sugar and a nice amount of milk to tame it a bit. I wish I tried it plain, but I’m sure it tastes great without any additives too. I tasted a hint of nuttiness to this, which could be part of the cacao’s inherent taste. I am not sure. I was yearning for creamy choco goodness, and this was perfect! I wanted to gulp this down because it was just so amazingly good, but I savored it instead… sipping slowing. This is a great tea for a wintry day. Overall, I would buy this tea for sure. I am adding this to my growing wishlist.

An old favorite. Very good for the cold weather, and I brewed this tonight for the first time in months. A bit of milk, a few spoonfuls of sugar, and this tea tastes like a gourmet hot chocolate. I recommend over-steeping it a little, to get the right amount of bitterness, and a good complexity.

Brewed this in my tetsubin-style tea press, in celebration of the cold weather. It wasn’t until I was taking my first sip that I realized I was missing an ingredient – sugar. Of course, there’s none of that in the dorm at all. Maybe I’ll buy some later.

I know I’ve mixed this with Lupicia’s vanilla black tea in the past, but I’ve forgotten how that tasted. I think I also mixed it with Teavana’s Matevana… could be wrong though. It’s been a while. Maybe when I go home, I’ll get some matevana (they still sell it, right?) to mix with this.

Another random question for the night: Are there any known tea allergies? Like, anything about the liquor or spent leaves that becomes airborne? My roommate is having sinus problems, and he’s trying to figure out what’s causing it. He says they usually come when he goes in the kitchen, which is where I brew my tea, and where I trash my used leaves.

takgoti

I’ve never heard of tea allergies, but I’m guessing that it’s possible for people to become allergic to just about anything so it’s a possibility. As for personal anecdotes or any concrete information, I got nothing.

Jillian

I’m thinking it sounds more like a dust or mold issue given that’s it’s respiratory problems he’s having. Maybe check for mold under the sink and other damp areas?

JMKauftheil

heh…
We found some bread that was over a month expired.
Mold up to wazoo. My roommate practically puked.

Wazoo. I’ve never used that word before.

This is one of the first loose leaf teas I purchased, but now I am

I have logging to do from the Victorian Tea Room as well as the Emilie Autumn Tea and Cupcake Social, but I am super exhausted and with school starting this week, I have way too much to do to really spend any time logging.

Before steeping:
Scent- Dark chocolate and chesnut

After Steeping:
Color- Honey
Scent- Nutella and black tea and a hiny of Vanilla

Taste:
Nude- Rich hazelnut, very strong flavoring, though I wish it was a bit thicker, almost like a coffee
With sugar- very chocolaty, with a vauge hnt of vanilla

*Marron Chocolat has a extreamly rich flavor, vry warm and delicious

If you like milky sweet choco-tea, this is the tea for you. I don’t taste the nuttiness as much as I’d like, but I enjoy this as a rare treat nonetheless.

Sometimes I really just want to drink a tea that is unforgivingly sweet and flavorful, without the use of sugary syrups (as would be the case at most boba shops). This tea perfectly fit that need! It’s very chocolatey, and adding a little bit of milk and sugar really brings out the notes of chocolate and tea. As previous comments noted, extra steeping time is helpful to get the most of the flavors. The package says to steep for 3-5 minutes; I’d err on the side of longer than shorter.

I don’t know what happened, but somewhere during the sleepless night (thanks to allergy meds) my sense of smell and taste returned to me! It has been maybe two weeks since I have been able to taste anything, so I have missed out on a lot of tea drinking opportunities and need to play catch up!

First up, a selection from my recent Lupicia order! I am already eyeing more Lupicia teas on their website now that they have Cookie restocked. I’m so weak. I’m surrounded by tea and all I can think about is more.

Anyways, this is the second chestnut tea I have had. The first was a green so it is interesting trying it as a black. Unsweetened this tea has the slightest bitterness to it that makes me think a lower temp would serve it better, but once I sweeten it a little it smooths out. The base is creamy, something I have tasted in other Lupicia teas, Sweet Potato to be exact. I can taste the chocolate and the sweetness of the chestnut. I’m picking up on the described astringency that I don’t recall the green tea having, but I don’t remember chestnuts having an astringent skin either. This tea is good, but not overly impressive at the moment. I’m guessing my newly rediscovered sense of taste might be off a bit since I keep smelling plastic, so we will see if my opinion of this tea changes in the future.

Stephanie

Hmm, interesting. I’ve always thought this one sounded good!

MissB

I too am surrounded by tea, and yet I also buy more. It’s an addiction, and I’m okay with it. ;) Much worse things to get addicted to!

The flavour is AMAZING. Like drinking Nutella, but without the cloying sweetness. This tea really has body, like it feels substantial in your mouth. Possibly my favourite of all the teas Lupicia makes – and that’s saying something because I’m absolutely addicted to them! Steep it a long time for the perfect intense taste, and use plenty of milk and a little sugar. I ran out of milk and decided to use a bit of soy nog…and it was actually pretty good. Warms you up on cold days. Strong enough to withstand a second steeping as well.

This is a beautiful tea. The chocolate is not sweet, but very true to its cocoa nature. I have it with milk & a little raw sugar.

Boiling