Marron Chocolat

Bitter, Chestnut, Cocoa, Creamy, Malt, Roasted nuts, Chocolate, Nutty, Nuts, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by JMKauftheil

• “In celebration of the end of snowstorm Nemo, I decided to try this out. I am glad it stopped snowing! We got about 10 inches of snow. Thank you *Lady 0f Spaydes* for this sample! I used up the...” Read full tasting note
    oOTeaOo 1603 tasting notes
  • “An old favorite. Very good for the cold weather, and I brewed this tonight for the first time in months. A bit of milk, a few spoonfuls of sugar, and this tea tastes like a gourmet hot chocolate. I...” Read full tasting note
    imdeadgoaway 74 tasting notes
  • “This is one of the first loose leaf teas I purchased, but now I am drinking my last bit of this tea. Definitely the best chocolate flavored tea I have had yet. Goodbye sweet tea! I have...” Read full tasting note
    Lady0fSpaydes 47 tasting notes
  • “Before steeping: Scent- Dark chocolate and chesnut After Steeping: Color- Honey Scent- Nutella and black tea and a hiny of Vanilla Taste: Nude- Rich hazelnut, very strong flavoring,...” Read full tasting note
    History_Laced 18 tasting notes

From Lupicia

The sweetness of the chestnut and astringency of its skin bring out the high-quality cocoa flavor.

About Lupicia View company

In celebration of the end of snowstorm Nemo, I decided to try this out. I am glad it stopped snowing! We got about 10 inches of snow. Thank you Lady 0f Spaydes for this sample! I used up the whole bag for my husband and I. My sense of smell isn’t that strong this morning, so I couldn’t smell the dry leaf. But I saw bits of cacao perhaps or bits of brown in there. Maybe it was chocolate or some nut? Once steeped (Western style), I could smell the cacao very strongly, which I love so much! The scent reminded me of Tisano’s Cacao Tea (which is also a very delightful tisane!).

Anyhow, this brewed a nice dark amber brown liquid. I added a few spoons of sugar and a nice amount of milk to tame it a bit. I wish I tried it plain, but I’m sure it tastes great without any additives too. I tasted a hint of nuttiness to this, which could be part of the cacao’s inherent taste. I am not sure. I was yearning for creamy choco goodness, and this was perfect! I wanted to gulp this down because it was just so amazingly good, but I savored it instead… sipping slowing. This is a great tea for a wintry day. Overall, I would buy this tea for sure. I am adding this to my growing wishlist.

An old favorite. Very good for the cold weather, and I brewed this tonight for the first time in months. A bit of milk, a few spoonfuls of sugar, and this tea tastes like a gourmet hot chocolate. I recommend over-steeping it a little, to get the right amount of bitterness, and a good complexity.

Brewed this in my tetsubin-style tea press, in celebration of the cold weather. It wasn’t until I was taking my first sip that I realized I was missing an ingredient – sugar. Of course, there’s none of that in the dorm at all. Maybe I’ll buy some later.

I know I’ve mixed this with Lupicia’s vanilla black tea in the past, but I’ve forgotten how that tasted. I think I also mixed it with Teavana’s Matevana… could be wrong though. It’s been a while. Maybe when I go home, I’ll get some matevana (they still sell it, right?) to mix with this.

Another random question for the night: Are there any known tea allergies? Like, anything about the liquor or spent leaves that becomes airborne? My roommate is having sinus problems, and he’s trying to figure out what’s causing it. He says they usually come when he goes in the kitchen, which is where I brew my tea, and where I trash my used leaves.

takgoti

I’ve never heard of tea allergies, but I’m guessing that it’s possible for people to become allergic to just about anything so it’s a possibility. As for personal anecdotes or any concrete information, I got nothing.

Jillian

I’m thinking it sounds more like a dust or mold issue given that’s it’s respiratory problems he’s having. Maybe check for mold under the sink and other damp areas?

JMKauftheil

heh…
We found some bread that was over a month expired.
Mold up to wazoo. My roommate practically puked.

Wazoo. I’ve never used that word before.

This is one of the first loose leaf teas I purchased, but now I am

I have logging to do from the Victorian Tea Room as well as the Emilie Autumn Tea and Cupcake Social, but I am super exhausted and with school starting this week, I have way too much to do to really spend any time logging.

Before steeping:
Scent- Dark chocolate and chesnut

After Steeping:
Color- Honey
Scent- Nutella and black tea and a hiny of Vanilla

Taste:
Nude- Rich hazelnut, very strong flavoring, though I wish it was a bit thicker, almost like a coffee
With sugar- very chocolaty, with a vauge hnt of vanilla

*Marron Chocolat has a extreamly rich flavor, vry warm and delicious

If you like milky sweet choco-tea, this is the tea for you. I don’t taste the nuttiness as much as I’d like, but I enjoy this as a rare treat nonetheless.

Sometimes I really just want to drink a tea that is unforgivingly sweet and flavorful, without the use of sugary syrups (as would be the case at most boba shops). This tea perfectly fit that need! It’s very chocolatey, and adding a little bit of milk and sugar really brings out the notes of chocolate and tea. As previous comments noted, extra steeping time is helpful to get the most of the flavors. The package says to steep for 3-5 minutes; I’d err on the side of longer than shorter.

This smelled like wine and chocolate. After steeping it smelled like hot cocoa and coffee beans. 2 1/2 minutes was either far too long or I used far too much leaf. This was really bitter. I tried adding sugar to see if it would level out the bitterness somewhat but no luck. It just turned odd. Thanks for the sample, NayLynn!

This sample came from miss Stephanie, it was part of her free shipping order. I am always excited for the opportunity to try another Lupicia tea! Like some other Lupicia black teas I’ve had, this one looks to be a mix of little CTC-style pellets and more traditional-looking small leaves. There are also some rather large pieces of what I assume to be roasted chestnut. Dry, this tea smells quite delicious – it’s a nice mix of sweet cocoa and roasted, nutty chestnut.

The steeped tea smells remarkably similar to the dry version, yum! The taste is definitely heavier on the chestnut. It has a deep roasted, slightly bitter flavor as well as a creamy nuttiness that contrasts nicely. The cocoa is definitely unsweetened (the same as their Thé au Chocolat). Overall, I quite like this as a fall/winter tea, though I’m sure it would be even better with a touch of sugar added.

Flavors: Bitter, Chestnut, Cocoa, Creamy, Malt, Roasted nuts

Love this!! I want something with chestnut in it in this cool autumn morning. This is just exactly what I need, the chestnut flavour is subtle and goes really well with the major note – dark chocolate flavour. Although I must admit that the taste is not as amazing as the extremely chocolatey aroma!! This reminds me of high quality French pastries (think Pierre Herme and Joel Robuchon) and makes a great dessert tea.

Ysaurella

Just hope you don’t have to spend as much time as we do in a queue in France to taste a macaron Pierre Hermé :)

Devilish

Ysaurella, in Hong Kong we also have to queue for PH macarons! But the queue is not as long as the one for Laduree macarons… the latter is more popular among the locals :P I personally love PH more though!

Ysaurella

you are so right ! PH is a real “artisan” now the Ladurée’s ones are much on the factory side…a good factory but not as good as they were in the past

This tea reminds me of Lupicia’s Cookie but with some nuts!

It is mildy roasty, creamy, and definitely nutty. I’m not getting much chocolate though. I think it might be one of those teas that is begging to be sweetened to pop the flavors out. I’ll try that next time :)