Kotobuki

Fruit Oolong Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Anna

• “Backlog + Sipdown Back from my vacation to Utah! Ate lots of food, hiked around Zion national park and went to the Brazilian Jiujitsu school there a couple times (to blow steam off from being...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1018 tasting notes
  • “I’ve been wanting to try this one for a while. Of course, it’s also been chilling in my cupboard for a while. Today is the day to break the cycle and finally try it out! Part of the reason I...” Read full tasting note
    CHAroma 509 tasting notes
  • “I got to sample this thanks to Amy oh! :) I somehow decided to try this first. I have an idea. We need a campaign against crappy tea bags. This is an example of what tea bags should be like. It...” Read full tasting note
    Tamm 536 tasting notes
  • “I spent the morning editing a loooooong document and just as I stopped for a break my latest order from Lupicia turned up at the door, so I decided to take that as a hint and went to make some...” Read full tasting note
    luthien 265 tasting notes

From Lupicia

A Taiwanese Oolong tea, lightly flavoured by French Mirabelle plums and garlanded with rose, marigold, and mallow petals. Sweet and fruity taste. Kotobuki is Japanese for celebrations.

(French Lupicia: Mirabelle.)

About Lupicia View company

Loose
Appearance: large “kernel” oolong, two toned green, deep purpleish pink petals
Aroma when Dry: sticky sweet desert floral, almost gooey
After water is first poured: floral icing
At end of steep: subtle sweet fruity notes, powdery
Tea liquor:
At end of first steep: transparent light green
Staple? No
Time of day preferred: unsure, first tasting
Taste:
At first: jammy, sweet berry, slightly sticky
As it cools? plum syrupy notes start showing
Additives used (milk, honey, sugar etc)? No.
Lingers? Yes, very sweet, cloying jammyness, violet notes show

Azzrian

OH MY! It sounds soooo good to me. Then again sometimes I do really go for those overly sweet cloying teas :)

Novi

That does sound delicious, Azzrian! But to each their own, I guess.

This is the tea I drank this morning… Sorry I’m a little late!

Let me start off by saying I’m always hesitant to drink flavored oolongs-they’re so complex and can change so much and so many of them are beautiful on their own, so I’m always a little careful when drinking flavored ones.

That said, this is done very well. This was another sample my friend Bella gave me (bless her soul), and I can see why she loves it! The plum isn’t really too tart or present. It provides a bright sweetness that sort of stirs in the background behind the tea and the other ingredients. The flowers add such a nice light and floral taste, and I LOVE it!

My one complaint (it’s my fault)-I made it in my Noble mug and drank it for a while with the cap off. However, once I got in the car to go to school, I put the cap on and it was left on for little while-this did not do too many wonders for the tea. After a little while with the cap on, the tea started to develop that plastic-y taste that happens with low quality jasmines. That, however, was my fault, and I won’t make the mistake again!

Bonnie

We did miss you Ian!

The oolong is buttery and smooth, with no astringency at all. There’s a hint of rose and the plum taste is likewise smooth without any sour or “bright” flavor that things like hibiscus and citrus impart. I give this to my friends who have had bad experiences and are afraid of tea being ‘bitter.’

The fragrance of the tea is very strong and perfume-y. I have tried it plain, with milk+sugar, and made into ice cream (I steeped it in the hot milk/cream.) The dairy suits the buttery finish of the oolong, and I find that with sugar and dairy, the plum and rose tastes are complimented and come out much stronger, while tea’s floral notes and oolong flavor fade into the background.

Nice Oolong base, high quality and smooth as the Lupicia Teas tend to be. It’s very nice and interesting but I had to read the write-up about this tea to realize it was a Plum flavouring. It’s nice, certainly, but it’s not a very strong flavour – just a slight tinge to add to a good Oolong base. A very straightforward tea – a tad underwhelming maybe, but still solid.

I must say this oolong doesn’t do a whole lot for me, which is a shame since I’ve adored their other flavored oolongs in the past. The plum flavor is definitely subtle to the point of being barely identifiable in the mix; mostly this just tastes like a nice quality oolong, something to drink with food when you’re not really primed to notice what you’re drinking. I’m not too mad since I got this for 30% off (I didn’t even know Lupicia did random sales like that…reason enough to make the trek to the Century City location), but if you’re there looking for a good fruity oolong I’d say go with Lupicia’s pineapple or melon oolong.

I’m not into flavoured tea much anymore…I still have a stash but got rid of lots of them recently. Still purging, only very few will make the cut.

Although I think it’s a pretty decent one, this one wont make it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s very pleasing and I like it. I’ve been drinking tea for a looong time and with all the teas I have, I’m aiming torwards drinking only spectacular ones. Flavoured teas in general don’t come across as being spectacular to me. Needs to be more than “Ok” and “good” for me to keep a tea around. And that’s why you keep seeing those high ratings from me. I drink and review my very best most of the time.

I’m reviewing this one cause Lupicia offers a good product and it might be helpful to some.

This is a plum tea with lots of floral notes.

While hot, I don’t get much out of it, gets a lot better at a lukewarm temperature for me. I get nice buttery and floral notes, topped by a sweet ripe plum fruitiness. To me, plum is a floral fruit, so fragrant, a bit like a lychee is. Maybe that’s one of the reasons they both pair so well with green oolong.

I think this is above average for a flavoured tea.

And I may not have a whole lot left, but the rest is going to you Dexter my dear tea buddy and Steepster friend cause I know how much you like it :-)

sherapop

I feel the same way about flavored teas, TheTeaFairy. This seems like a natural evolution. We all have to start at the grocery store. Then we keep moving on and up, until at last we discover pure teas! ;-)

TheTeaFairy

Lol, I forgot to say I don’t mind a good effective grocery bagged tea occasionally though! That’s why I always keep a few Twinings bags around… Now that’s not spectacular, but a lot more worthy than some of those overdone flavoured teas I sometimes try!!

MzPriss

I have a box of Twinings Earl Grey that I keep. I’ve been drinking it since I was a child and I still like it. Comforting.

I like shengs :p

Sarsonator

And aside from being silly, I will always have a place in my heart for Yogi teas, and Numi savory teas. :)

Mandy

The Numi savory teas are fun to cook with. I like to through a bag or two into the water my rice or noodles are boiling in. Plus, I feel like its a way to sneak the benefits of green tea into my boyfriends for every once in a while (;

Sarsonator

Mandy, how wonderful! I would never have thought to try that. Thanks :)

Oops, I’ve only had this Monstrositea sample as a cold brew. Never mind, I’m getting some more for free thanks to my reviews this month!

Dang this is lovely. I’m drinking a 3hr cold brew right now and it’s so light and fruity and beautiful. I have an overnight second steep to try when I get home today, and I got a bit overexcited and went for a third cold brew as well, I’ll leave that 24hrs and see how it goes, I think.

YUM

I placed my first Lupicia order about a month ago – I got 6 and split 10, then earlier tonight I placed another order and got 13 more.
It never even occurred to me to get this one. Didn’t even register on the maybe list….
TheTeaFairy ordered this as one of her’s during our last split order and generously sent me a sample.
OMG!!! I was wrong, she was right!!! This is one of the best flavored teas I’ve ever had. Fricken Fantastic!!!! I LOVE IT Amazing, love it. Plum oolong rocks!!!
(I’m not rating teas anymore but this deserves 95+)

TheTeaFairy

No worries, I’ll send you moooore!!! Already in your next box ;-)

Dexter

I think I liked your teas better than mine…. Loved the green rooibos one too, sauvage jardin? something like that..

TheTeaFairy

Jardin Sauvage, yes, isn’t that a fresh fruity blend? I didn’t reorder cause I wanted to try their other green rooibos Adagio and Honeydew.

Dexter

I think Adagio will be too floral for me – but excited to try the Honey Dew…

sooooo would silface like this one? :)

TeaTiff

Plum oolong? Interesting. That is not a combination I would have thought of. This and the honey dew has me intrigued.

Dexter

Sil – I will go through you tasting notes/cupboard and send you everything that I have that you haven’t tried – unfortunately this won’t be one of them – I got a sample from TheTeaFairy

Lol don’t you dare dexter lol

I.

Can’t.

Even.

So I finally got around to cold steeping this, and I have to tell you – if anything in the mortal realm could ever taste like ambrosia, this would be it.

This is golden plum honey balm. This is perfect.

Seeing as this tea should have been given an 85 in the first round, this will kick it up an unprecedented 10 points, right up to 90.

Iced 8 min or more
donkeytiara

like meade? :) I like the sound of that!

Tealizzy

Yay! I just bought this and can’t wait to try it now!!

Tealizzy

Oh, forgot to ask….how long did you cold steep it for?

Anna

Tealizzy: I hope you love it! I steeped for about 24 hours, but try half that at first and then sample it (or use a smaller amount of leaf than I did – sorry to not be more helpful, but I don’t have a scale right now) because it was maybe a little tiny bit over the top flavour wise.

I bought this tea at Lupicia because of the lovely smell. It is fragrant but not in an overpowering way, fruity and flowery at the same time. It brews up a light, yellow color. The lingering aftertaste is nice, I can taste the plumness and oolong, and it is sweet enough not to need sugar.