Ripe Mango Oolong

Fruit Oolong Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “This tea, this tea, this tea. I know exactly when I first made it, how cool the counter was against my fingertips, where we went for dinner that day, what the text message I wrote just then said...” Read full tasting note
    clareborn 300 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown no. 74 for the year 2014. A teabag from the work stash. (Oolong in a bag just seems weird to me because of leaf expansion and all.) But wow. After yesterday's not particularly...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 948 tasting notes
  • “I am so behind on my tasting notes, this is from 3 days ago! I think it just slipped my mind, so I suppose I should dive back in. This was in my box from *LiberTEAS*, which yes I am still digging...” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes
  • “In one word, *delicious* _delicious_ ~delicious!~ I don't have much time to type, so in short, this reminds me of a mango version of Golden Moon's Coconut Pouchong. I love it! Got this free...” Read full tasting note
    StephL535 314 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Quality Taiwanese oolong tea scented with lusciously ripe mangos.

About Lupicia View company

Huge, full, twisted leaves of Taiwanese green oolong with just the right amount of succulent mango flavor. Soft, creamy mouthfeel and chewy texture that stands up to multiple brews (the mango flavor starts to fade after a couple brews, but you’re left with a pretty tasty pouchong after that.)

I got the teabag version of this tea. It has a good fruity scent and a nice orange green liquid. This tea has a mild fruity floral flavor. I like the way the tea looks inside the teabag. It looks like they put real tea and not the dust stuff I see in some teabag teas.

I was hugely disappointed with this tea. I love mangos, and this tea smells amazingly like the ones I used to get at my grandma’s house. But something about it tastes off to me. There’s an odd chemical tinge that reminds me I had this same experience with their Takibi, but the chemical edge is harsher here, and harder to ignore.

The tea still smells good when brewed up, if a bit subdued, but the flavoring can’t compete at all with that chemical taste. I did try letting this tea sit to let the flavors settle, but it was still unpleasant.

And I just realized this was my 100 tasting note! Hard to believe I’ve tried that many teas. How did that happen?

Tastes good. Smells better. Would make great potpourri if it weren’t so expensive and difficult to get in this country. Very pleasant to drink.

I haven’t tried any of Lupicia’s oolongs yet and quickly chose this one out of four that smelled great at the store the other day. I cold brewed it overnight in my new David’s pitcher (which is another review of it’s own… so far I love it) with a little bit of sugar to round out the fruit. The result is fairly delicious. It isn’t as strong as some other Lupicia fruit teas, but it is pretty tasty. There is the unmistakable taste of oolong in there along side the mango flavor. They coexist pretty well together. I don’t get much on the sip and it is the imediate aftertaste that holds most of the flavors. I like, but unless it blows my mind between now and the bottom of the bag, I won’t be likely to buy it again.

mmmm almost all gone. I’m going to try cold brewing the last of this just to see how it compares to the hot brew. still though, great tea to have this morning with delicious breakfast and quite time with my other half heh

1907 tasting notes

I was pleased to see this tea in my Happy Bag from Lupicia this year. It’s always been one that I have been curious about. I love mangos, I love oolongs, and Lupicia tends to do a good job with flavored oolongs. I think that I have actually drank this once since I got it but I never wrote a tasting note for it.

There is something about the scent of the brewed tea that is really familiar, but I can’t quite place it. This seems to be more of a pouchong (long wiry leaves) than a rolled high mountain oolong like many of their other flavored ones. The flavor on this is quite good. It’s a bit mango hi-chews, which are some of the best mango candy that I’ve ever had. That still means its a bit more candy than fresh mango, but fresh fruit is difficult to capture in a tea. Then again, maybe if I had tried a ripe mango fresh from a market in southeast Asia, maybe I would tell a different story. Still, this is very nice and the oolong does add a freshness to it. Overall I am glad I have it around.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
TeaBrat

oh no, did I miss the happy bags?

Indigobloom

This sounds interesting. I’ve never had a mango oolong blend

Dinosara

TeaBrat: this is from the happy bag that I got back in January for New Years… Just getting around to it now for most of the teas. :P

OMGsrsly

Oh, mango hi-chews are great! I actually found mango tic-tacs today, but they’re a bit… soapy.

I must have done something wrong because… I didn’t care for this very much.

The aroma of dry leaves is strong and wonderful at first but then its fruitiness dissipates and some weird plastic-bag-like notes come up. It starts to smell like something that is artificial but masks itself really good as a tropical fruit aroma.

I didn’t think much of it since it’s just dry leaf. But the flavor is very reminiscent of the way that dry leaf smelled. In fact, it is a little worse. I barely got any mango here, just some distant “echo” of it and then this plastic-bag aftertaste would kick in. I must mention here that I got this straight from Lupicia in their usual silver pouch, didn’t keep it in some ziploc on the bottom of many other teas that coud contaminate it. But I really don’t think I got a wrong batch or that anything happened to it whie I was storing it. I think it’s just me not getting this ;)

I also remember it being more bitter than you would expect from a delicate fruit-favored oolong. Especialy on the second steeping.

I seem to have an issue with their pouchong base. I remember liking Momo Supergrade that uses the same leaf as the base and while I liked Momo more than this, I still was not as elated about it like many other Steepsterites.

Oh well, I’ll keep trying it, maybe play with the steeping temperature a bit. We’ll see.

Anna

Could it be that you haven’t followed the steeping instructions? I make this at boiling/1.5-2 minutes, as the bag suggests. Most of the Lupicia-related complaints about bitterness I see come from situations where there’s a low steeping temperature…

…then again, maybe this just isn’t right for you. So sad, but it just happens.

I AM HERE FOR YOU IN THIS DIFFICULT TIME.

Kat_Maria

:D I will definitely try their steeping instructions. I just thought that one can’t go wrong steeping a Lupicia tea whatever it is they do, but maybe NOT ;) I will try 2 minutes @ boiling next time!

Anna

I look forward to reading all about it, because tea science!

(I went to my tea cupboard and told the RMO to not be sad and that everything is going to be okay.)

Sipdown!! (142)

Thank you Kat_Maria for this tasty, tasty tea. Lupicia really knows their oolongs because this is delicious! Nice mellow base coupled with a great mango flavor. Yum :)

Aaaaah you’re so going to pass me while I’m away…

VariaTEA

Haha. I packaged a lot of samples up to send off to Roswell Strange. Plus, as soon as I get home, I will have teas waiting for me which means if I want to get to 150 by the end of the month, I have to sipdown lots and lots of teas prior to returning home.

I suspect there will be teas waiting for me at home…but so far I’ve only bought 3 teas….in three days. Hahaha. Nt drinking as much tea here as I’d. Hoped but at least I’m getting a few cups in here’re and there

VariaTEA

What teas have you bought so far? Also, I am sure you will make up your tea drinking when you return home.

After dark, maple seduction and Irish breakfast from steam.

I freakin love oolong because the LEAVES. They’re freakin gorgeous okay and I absolutely LOVE seeing them unravel!
This was a surprise from my parents :) They went to DAVIDs last weekend and took a wee little detour to Lupicia (well, it’s just two floors up so it’s not too bad haha) and they picked this tea up for me!

Oh wow. The smell of this tea dry is so good! I kinda.. started inhaling it deeply and don’t do that. You’ll get dizzy. But just take a small whiff and it smells like mango!! Green mango though. Personally, I prefer the taste of the yellow mango more since it’s more sweet and green mango is bitter but yeah THIS TEA SMELLS LIKE HOME.
I was actually surprised to read on the package that this steeps in boiling water though since I never use boiling for oolongs. Ahh well. I followed the package instructions and some leaves were a bit scorched, but not all.
This tea is like super freakin good though. Like SO GOOD. I love the mango so much. I’m starting to love ALL the Lupicia flavoured teas! This has the nice flavours of green mango, but not the bitterness.
Definitely a great tea :)

205 °F / 96 °C 1 min, 45 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
Shmiracles

Oooo guess who just got the steepster app and is posting this comment from her phone OoooooOooo!!!

oddree

APP!?!?! o_O Also, I think I need to check out Lupicia and Nina’s for sure. Such great reviews!

VariaTEA

Have you had Lupicia’s Melon Oolong yet? I don’t even like oolong but that was amazing!

jump62359

shmiracles, well, I have no idea who you’re talking about, but I’m assuming it’s me?? Right? TOTALLY ;)
odree, yes, there’s a steepster app! It’s in beta testing right now so Jason and the steepster team are slooowly letting people test it out. I’d link you, but I’m on mobile as well! Lupicia is my first love and I was fairly surprised to see that not a lot of people has tried their teas! If you spend $30, you get a free subscription to their monthly newsletter complete with a free sample! US addresses only though. I haven’t had tea from Nina’s yet, but luckily I’m expecting a swap soon and I know there are a couple of Nina’s teas in there!

jump62359

VariaTEA, I haven’t yet! I’m actually just discovering ALL of Lupicia’s teas. I haven’t tried many of their flavoured teas so now I kinda just wanna try them all :)
((And you are said swap partner in the previous comment haha))

VariaTEA

I am taking a Lupicia crash course right now too. I got two swaps so far with a bizillion Lupicia teas which is super exciting. And you are getting Nina’s teas though mostly their caffeine-free ones. Oh, and Japon of course :P. I realized after I sealed your package that I should have included others of their teas.

oh god. i need this.

jump62359

Rachel, the teas in your package aren’t necessarily caffeine-free, but less caffeine than blacks and stuff ahaha. And I’m definitely drowning in so much Lupicia and David’s right now wow.

Sil, shoot me your address! I’ll send you a wee little sample of this tea if you’d like :)