Cassis & Blueberry

Black Fruit Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I served this as the final tea party selection today. I wanted it to be separated from the taste of the black currant jam for a bit so the flavors wouldn't compete with each other. I loved the...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1829 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the afternoon here, it isn't too bad but also not destined to be a favorite of mine. A little brown sugar made this one better. See previous notes for more info....” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2420 tasting notes
  • “I got a couple free pyramid bags of this in my order and I'm really in the mood for a low-maintenance tea so into the cup this went! Like others have said the smell of this is intoxicating, like...” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes
  • “Many thanks to *TeaBrat* for sharing this with me. It's quite delicous!! Very flavourful and rich, with a slight hint of something fermented, like Cassis. Funny, it reminds me of Anne of Green...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1311 tasting notes

From Lupicia

A black tea blended with cassis & blueberries. Refreshing taste. Makes an excellent iced tea.

About Lupicia View company

Oh, that blueberry smell from the dry leaves is amazing!

The brewed tea still has a strong aroma of blueberry with something else now too. I guess that’s the cassis. I didn’t have any idea what cassis was, so I googled it. Turns out, cassis is blackcurrant, a small perennial shrub with edible berries.

The aroma is definitely berry-laden! But I’m a little let down upon tasting it. That magnificent berry-ness was virtually gone in the first sip.

My second sip had a heavy sweetness to it that the first sip lacked. The third sip was more like the first. Strange. And now I’m getting black tea bitterness.

This review may be little off today since I’m slightly stuffy from allergies. But I agree with LP that the taste is a letdown after the aroma.

What a shame. I really wanted to like this more.

I bought this one because when you open the tin, it punches you in the face with delicious berry-candy aroma, and while that’s not usually my thing, in this case it was just intoxicating.

I find that things flavored with blueberry are generally pretty gross, but I adore blackcurrant/cassis (they’re the same thing, people) – and ultimately, the combination of the two added up to awesome. Once brewed, the cassis thankfully takes the lead in the flavor, with the blueberry remaining subtle and a background note. Unlike the face-slammingly intense smell, the flavor is well tempered. This is a blackcurrant tea with a blueberry tint. Blueberry fans would probably be disappointed, but I’m in it for the cassis.

It has a certain dryness to it, and is definitely not sweet, but the fruity flavor still comes through in spite of that, and it ends up working. I don’t think I am going to be having this too frequently, as it’s pretty distinctive and rich on the added flavor, but I’m definitely glad to have it in my collection.

As always, Lupicia means quality.

I purchased a pack of teabags of this from the store in San Francisco because I really love blueberry teas. Admittedly, I had no idea was cassis was, but the smell was what won me over. After initially brewing for 3 minutes, I found the flavor to not be strong enough and fell a little flat. The second time I gave it 5 minutes and flavors came out much better but still unlike the smell out of the bag (like others have mentioned). I found that adding a bit of sugar helped bring out the berry flavor a bit more. Though a touch disappointed by the smell/taste discrepancy, I still enjoyed this tea.

A sample from one of my online orders. Lovely blueberry smell, nice black tea with a hint of flavor. Can’t decide if this is one I would buy. Nice, just not wowed.

The more I try of Lupicia’s stuff, the more excited I get about the idea that I might be able to visit their store when I study abroad this summer. This is really tasty, and I think because of the combination of flavors it would make a really good cold-weather or warm-weather tea (I think of blackcurrant as a winter thing but blueberry as a spring thing). It’s got kind of a colder-weather feel to it, but it’s really light and springy, and it does the thing that tea manages to do sometimes where it tricks me into liking a flavor I normally hate—in this case blueberry. So sad I’m out of samples now!

Had this for my morning tea today. It’s good but almost tastes like medicine. I also kind of forgot about it so it’s currently lukewarm. I like the taste. I took it out after 3ish minutes. I think if I left it in longer, it would have definitely tasted like medicine.

It smells amazing, and you can really tell the cassis and blueberry. Unfortunately, it doesn’t hold the taste nearly as well as the smell. Still good, but a bit disappointing against the smell.

Yum! Berries! I love love love cassis. Why aren’t more things in that flavor around here?
Thanks to Ashmanra, I get to experience this delicious cup of juicy sweet nectar. Love the supportive base that just allows the flavors to shine. Lupicia does such a great job with fruit flavors.
I need to get these cassis berries planted somewhere. And juneberries. That’s my plan.

I actually really enjoyed this. The blueberry flavor was very genuine and complemented the black base well. It was very aromatic and overall a very refreshing tea, it’s a great pick if you are looking for teas that are great iced.

Iced

Ever since Twinings discontinued their Blackcurrant tea, this has been a staple of my breakfast every morning. I can’t wake up without it.

The sharper notes of the blackcurrant shock the mind awake, while the lighter flavours of the blueberry float in afterwards, soothing the mind after the sudden jolt a moment ago. This is such a beautiful tea, it is absolute heaven.