Black Fruit Herbal Blend
Fruity, Hibiscus, Powdered sugar, Tropical
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by Skysamurai

From Lupicia

Mango, papaya and hibiscus flower blended with scent of guava. Red rose petal accents the tea.

An alluring sweet-tart guava flavored black tea with red flower petals.

About Lupicia View company

I got this small tin of tea at the Lupicia store a few months ago, they gave it to me as a freebie and I more or less forgot about it until I was digging through my stash looking for something this morning.

A while ago they were doing a bunch of Hawaiian themed teas, which I think were a limited edition and have since been discontinued. But I tend to like tropical fruit flavored things, so thought I’d give this a whirl today.

The tin I got has rose petals in it and a small chunk or two of fruit. I didn’t overload the tea with leaf (as I am wont to do), but had about a respectable 2 tsp. for 12 oz or so of water.

I steeped this for 4 minutes with nearly boiling water. I was definitely a bit worried after reading the other tasting note that said the tea was bitter. Thankfully I am not picking that up here.

I liked this actually. I seriously have no clue what the base tea here is but I’m thinking after looking at the leaf it is a Ceylon or an Indian tea of some sort, perhaps a Nilgiri. My cup is fairly light, it’s kind of a dark orange-y color. The tropical fruit flavors are present but do not overwhelm you at all. I’m getting a bit of mango & papaya and the guava scent is nice. I am drinking this hot but I think it would definitely shine as an iced tea. I will have to try doing that soon!

Sounds good!

Daniel Scott

Two teaspoons in a cup sounds like so much to me! I’d generally use 1.5 teaspoons max in a 12 ounce cup, and I keep hearing things like this that make me wonder if I underleaf my teas all the time.

Lupicia in particular has a really weird leaf to water ratio. They say to brew their teabags, which contain about 3 grams of tea, in only 5 oz. of water.

Daniel, it really depends on the tea. I know I have a tendency to over do it though. :)

This smells really tropical and yummy! I can clearly taste mango and papaya. But it’s unfortunate that I detect a distinctive bitter and tart taste in the tea… which I am going to attribute to hibiscus. It’s weird enough to turn a near-perfect cup into a disaster. Shame. The black tea base is a bit too strong as well, so I’d suggest a shorter brewing time (~2 minutes).

TTB Tea #6

Ok… I have no clue what this is. No steeping directions on the bag or on here… I can’t even find it on their website. I do know that it isn’t the flowering tea it used to say here (I changed it), and it’s black. It does smell like the discription here though- nice and fruity w/ hints of rose.

The liquor is a darkish read color and the aroma is that of the raw leaf only I can smell more of the base.

This isn’t anything special. More fruity than floral… and unfortunately the base does come thrue… as a tad bitter.

1 bag (3.14g)/6oz just below boiling water.

I’m extremely disappointed that there is no guava in this tea. I would have assumed they would have used that delicious pink guava that grows in Hawai’i in this tea. Honestly, this doesn’t even taste like guava. Black tea, hibiscus and rose. Not even that much rose really…. Sigh…

Kuuipo… You are not my sweetheart

My second Lupicia Hawaiian tea from Dexter! I was worried when I saw that this one contains hibiscus… It has the same small black leaves mixed with rose petals and small pieces of fruit. Dry, it smells fruity and somewhat tart, which is a nice change from Hua Ki.

Once steeped, it smells fruity but I can also catch hints of tart hibiscus and floral rose. Wow, this one is way milder than Hua Ki, which is odd considering I steeped both the exact same way. I can taste very light fruit notes (papaya?) and a slight touch of hibiscus tartness. There’s also a weird powdered sugar note that I don’t enjoy. Overall, finding this one rather weak in flavor, which is disappointing.

Flavors: Fruity, Hibiscus, Powdered sugar, Tropical