Lanikai

Black Tea, Coconut, Pineapple, Vanilla
Pineapple, Sweet, Vanilla, Coconut
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by hapatite

• “This is one that *Auggy* shared with me recently. I don't know if she had been peeking in my posts when making that decision or not and seen that I had been rather vanilla interested lately. Even...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1310 tasting notes
  • “Holy monkey, smell that vanilla! The vanilla scent is immediately intoxicating upon opening the package. There's something pretty and blue amongst the leaves, too, and I'm not quite sure what it...” Read full tasting note
    janniverse 58 tasting notes
  • “Also sampled this one at a friend's house! This tea is another one of Lupicia's exclusive Hawaiian blends. It's very sweet, and smells mostly of coconut, with some vanilla. (There's also pineapple,...” Read full tasting note
    KatBender 111 tasting notes
  • “Got this from hapatite awhile ago (many thanks, again!) but just got around to drinking it. I would say the vanilla and coconut flavors are very subtle, unless I simply didn't use enough of the...” Read full tasting note
    SakuraSushi 31 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Blend of pineapple and scents of coconut and sweet vanilla, takes you to the beach in Hawaii.

About Lupicia View company

This is one that Auggy shared with me recently. I don’t know if she had been peeking in my posts when making that decision or not and seen that I had been rather vanilla interested lately. Even to the point of having an exchange of comments with someone (who were you?) about the sugar-y sort of vanilla versus the coconut-y sort of vanilla flavouring and them liking the former, me leaning towards the latter. This one has coconut in it as well as dried pineapple, so it must surely be the right sort of vanilla flavouring for me.

But how did she know?

Oh yeah. Taste twins. :D

There’s something in the leaves. Some sort of crystallic blue-y white thing. I can’t tell what it is and the description of the gives no clue. So I ate one. It tastes sugar-y and vanilla like, and it looks like after after steeping they have been dissolved as I can’t spot any in the spent leaf.

It smells like cake. There’s tons of vanilla in this aroma and the pineapple underneath it all, at the very bottom of the aroma, giving it substance. It makes me want upside down cake. And custard. The coconut is there in the aroma as well, but it works more like a booster for the vanilla and a filler for the the pineapple rather than a note by itself. I suspect this is what creates the whole ‘cake’ thing.

Oh Auggy! You sent me happiness in a tin. It’s so vanilla-y, so fruity, so sweet, so thick and creamy, so ME!

It definitely confirms for me that my perfect vanilla tea does indeed have those coconut notes to it. The coconut is really carrying this vanilla and enhancing it in most wonderful way.

The pineapple is still taking a backseat to the other flavours here. It’s there at the bottom being juicy and fruity and reminding me of cake (I want caaaaaaake!!!), but it’s not the star of the show and it’s not trying to be either.

This is very very good indeed. I shall hoard the remainder of Auggy’s generous gift.

Uniquity

You and I chatted about Caramel Vanilla (me!) vs. Coconut Vanilla (you!). : )

Angrboda

Ah right, it was a Mighty Leaf thing, wasn’t it?

Uniquity

Hmm..I think it was in my post about 52Teas French Vanilla Assam, which I moved along because it was too coconutty. I don’t think I’ve had Mighty Leaf tea yet.

Angrboda

Hmmm… I had seen the Mighty Leaf around as well and whoever’s post it was made me interested. It must have been at around the same time as your post for me to get them mixed up. Either way, I’m planning on giving the ML a go. :)

Auggy

Yay! Glad you liked it! This one didn’t strike me as overly Hawaiian (which I felt it should have been since it was one of the Hawaii-only ones) but I totally got a dessert vibe from it that made me happy. And your log of it made me bust some out this morning! :)

Holy monkey, smell that vanilla!

The vanilla scent is immediately intoxicating upon opening the package. There’s something pretty and blue amongst the leaves, too, and I’m not quite sure what it is…along with the chunklets of dried pineapple and coconut shavings in the tea.

The vanilla scent vanishes directly after pouring the water over the tea, but comes back in a slightly mellower way after a minute or so of steeping. Pineapple and coconut scents aren’t really evident, but you do get some mellow, sweet pineapple flavour, as well as a hint of coconut toward the end of each sip. The coconut is the only flavour that lingers in the aftertaste as well. It’s not strong, but it’s definitely there—-more like an intangible idea than an actuality.

As for the tea itself, it’s slightly weaker than I usually like. Perhaps I should have flouted Lupicia’s rules and gone for 6 minutes. If the tea were stronger, I’d probably have liked this more. I was worried the vanilla might be overpowering since it smelled so strongly when first opened, but it was actually quite nice.

It’s quite nice to look at, a rather nice dark gold with coppery undertones. :)

(Side note: Lupicia recommends 3-5 minutes for steep time, using boiling water. Generally, when I brew most teas, I tend to veer toward the longest time suggested because I prefer a stronger brew. )

Also sampled this one at a friend’s house! This tea is another one of Lupicia’s exclusive Hawaiian blends. It’s very sweet, and smells mostly of coconut, with some vanilla. (There’s also pineapple, though I don’t notice it as much, possibly because it blends in with the coconut?) The tea tastes sweet as well; there seem to be sugar crystals mixed in with the dry leaf, which highlight the tropical flavors in the blend. The black base is on the lighter side, with minimal bitterness, which is always good. For some reason, I don’t like this one quite as much as Lupicia’s other Hawaiian blends, though… Something about the flavor combo tastes a little soapy and artificial. It might actually be the coconut; I enjoy coconut in some blends, but it can taste a little flat to me. This is still a good tea, though, and really evokes some classic Hawaiian flavors! It’s just not my favorite Lupicia blend that I’ve tried.

Got this from hapatite awhile ago (many thanks, again!) but just got around to drinking it. I would say the vanilla and coconut flavors are very subtle, unless I simply didn’t use enough of the tea or didn’t steep it long enough. All in all, very nice, almost sophisticated, but if you’re in the mood for strong vanilla and tropical flavors, you won’t get a big hit of those flavors from this tea.

So. Was trying this one last night. Took three sips and then my body decided that being in pain all day wasn’t enough so I got super nauseous. >>
This review isn’t gonna be too great…so I’ll have to review it again later. xD
I got a decent amount of this tea in a swap with Rie T. a few weeks ago.
Thought I’d try this one because the combo of vanilla, coconut, and pineapple sounds fantastic!
Not sure I like how Lupicia uses Vanilla though. Because Momoko was supposed to be peach and vanilla and it just tasted kinda off….
Luckily, this tea didn’t have too much vanilla flavor in it. It was more subtle. The pineapple was the strongest in it, which I really liked. Couldn’t taste much coconut either…
But maybe it will be different…when I can actually drink an entire cup….and not just three sips…
Like I said, not really enough for a good review. But I think I will enjoy the rest of the sample, and glad I got to try it! Next time will be better, I am sure!

Flavors: Pineapple, Sweet, Vanilla

Blodeuyn

Hope you’re feeling better!

MzPriss

feel better!

Ost

Aw thanks (:

I received this in a swap from hapatite. Thank you. I have been quite delayed in getting through some of the samples I received back in Janurary/Feburary. I am glad I am finally getting around to a few of these.

I was so excited to first try another Lupicia tea and then such a rare collection. hapatite was so generous to send me 3 samples from the limited Hawaii collection. This was the first one I tried. I really really wanted to like this one. This for me just didn’t have the right mix. The base was very astringent and the vanilla and fruit didn’t shine through much for me. It might have been the way I brewed this, but this is a no for me.

Sipdown! Man, I’m on a roll lately! This was a good vanilla tea, with a hint of fruit. Making way for new teas, which are on their way!

The main scent and taste when brewed is that of vanilla. The pineapple is completely lost and the taste is very sweet. It smells less sweet than it tastes, but the vanilla is overpowering. The mixture of vanilla and coconut makes it lean towards a chocolate tea, and makes the black tea taste similar to a red roobois.

Flavors: Coconut, Vanilla

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Yum! This tea is nice and reminds me of Hawaii. I was chatting with my husband and his friends and the topic of Honolulu came up and it made me miss Honolulu. When I got home, I needed to have something from the hawaii collection.

The tin is super cute with pic of whales and turtles. The dry leaf even matches with blue corn flowers and cute blobby blue sugar lumps.

The base is nice and rich black, made really smooth with the sweet vanilla flavor. There is a glimpse of tropical going on, a pineapple sweet peak end of sip. The coconut flavor also perks up end of sip, also adding extra creamyness. Very smooth and nice blend. Uggg, I need to go back to Honolulu!!

TeaBrat

me toooo

waaaaant! lol

I had high hopes for this tea after such a wonderful aroma met me upon opening the packet. However, upon steeping for 3 minutes, the aroma had something almost burnt in it. I tasted it without additions and there is a bitterness which seems odd because there is also a nice vanilla scent and little sugar crystals in it. So I went ahead and added a tiny bit of sugar and milk. Bitterness improved with additions, but the Black tea base is not coming through much. Not really sure what to think of this one but may try it iced to see if that helps. This is my second tea I am trying from Lupicias Hawaii collection and so far, it’s 2 for 2 bombed.

Doh:(