Caramel & Rum

Butterscotch, Caramel, Rum, Sweet, Candy, Rooibos, Nutty, Honey, Smooth
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Devilish

From Lupicia

Sweet caramel-flavored rooibos tea and honeybush are accented with aromatic rum.

About Lupicia View company

So, I’m revising my previous score of 80 for this tea. I don’t know if I was just really feeling this tea at the time, or what, but the more I drink it, the less in love with it I am. Its just a bit too sweet for me. It tastes good, but the sweetness gets to me after awhile I’m finding. It’s like that first bite of really dense chocolate fudge. You bite into it and it’s sweet and yummy. But get about three bites in, and all the sudden you don’t want it anymore. It stops being yummy and becomes a bit of a burden. Anyway, that’s how I feel about this tea lately. I guess tastes really do change!

For more taste related notes, see previous post.

I’ve been missing out!! I just attempted the stovetop method using Caramel & Rum by Lupicia per instructions from Tealizzy and YUM!! Used a little brown sugar too. This is definitely a wonderful alternative to hot cocoa and just as comforting. For me, this might be THE way to enjoy rooibos teas as I’m not altogether that fond of them steeped with water. Thank you, Tealizzy!

The smell of this tea is divine. It reminds me of a salted caramel sauce used to drizzle over ice cream. It smells very sweet, but the taste is not overwhelming. Definitely a dessert tea.

I got this as the sample with the October 2012 mailer. Because I also ordered a package that month, I got a second newsletter/sample. My boyfriend and I drank them tonight.
Before brewing it smells really rummy, and brewed it smells/tastes overwhelmingly rummy. I think. I don’t drink alcohol, so I guess I don’t really know what rum tastes like, I’m just going off of my imagination… and my boyfriend says that no, it doesn’t taste like rum.
The rooibos flavor is hidden beneath the other flavors.
It does really taste like a butterscotch candy. I really don’t like butterscotch, so I didn’t care for this tea. My boyfriend loved it though, and he’s not particularly into tea, so that is bumping up the rating for me.

Strong caramel and rum flavors and rooibus itself very faint, almost non existent. Makes a perfect night time dessert with a bit of milk.

This is one of my absolute favorites. It’s so yummy, especially with a drop of milk and honey. All the notes come through pretty well, and I love how it doesn’t oversteep.

Disclaimer: my favorite flavor of Lifesavers is Butter Rum, and I don’t dislike Rooibos. These truths make this nearly the perfect Tisane for me. The dry aroma is pure butter rum, which translates nicely into the cup, especially after cooling a bit. Add a little cream and between sight and smell you could believe that you are holding a cup of caramel, luckily it is not overly sweet, just very comforting. Good resteep as well.

This smells SOOOOOO good! Soo good! Thankfully, that smell does transfer over to the taste. Honeybush can be picked up as well but mostly it is rich, buttery caramel like the little chewy cube ones that you get as a kid that gets all stuck in your teeth but tastes so yummy that you can’t resist it. The rum is faint but there and pops up every now and then to add an extra layer to the drink that at times takes on a butterscotch type-flavor. It is really great and one I would pick up again if I were placing a Lupicia order.

Ost

I really need to try this one sometime!

VariaTEA

You really should. It was great! I wish I had more than just the one tea bag.

Ost

Just whenever I smell it in the shop it smells really woodsy, so makes me not so sure about buying a whole 50g of it. :s

So, I may or may not have received Lupicia’s Book of Tea 100 as a Christmas gift, and as a result, I may or may not have 100 different individual teas to review before the new year. Whoops :) Anyway, here goes the first sample!

I’d just like to get out of the way before I even get to a tasting review that this tea smells like the blushing sighs of angel babies. Just so everyone knows that.

The rum flavoring really pops out first, and then it’s just pleasantly sweet rummy rooibos until the caramel notes show up in the aftertaste. It’s a very sweet tea overall, and I like it a lot. There’s almost a butterscotch note to it, I think; the aftertaste is kind of creamy in a delightful way.

I didn’t think I was a huge fan of rooibos, but after this, it might just be that I either didn’t have a lot of good rooibos or was making it wrong. I really, really like this. I’m kind of eternally on the hunt for a good tea to drink before bed, and I might end up getting a tin. I think I’m going to wait and see how many of the other samples I feel that way about, though, so I don’t end up getting 100 separate tins. :D

Flavors: Butterscotch, Caramel, Rum, Sweet

Boiling 4 min, 45 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Woo, my Lupicia Cyber Monday order finally arrived! I couldn’t have been more excited. In fact, I even took pictures… blush

Anyway, after putting all of the holiday teas in my cart, I need a couple more things to reach the $60 free shipping threshold, and this was one of those things. It’s been recommended to me by several people and I’ve been loving rooibos lately, so it seemed like a good fit (I also got Pineapple Barley!). Wow, the dry scent was so powerful when I opened the package, and very alcoholic. It smelled like Butter Rum Lifesavers with actual rum in them. I had the boyfriend smell it and he immediately wanted to know if I was currently making some. :P

Yum, this tea tastes like butterscotch, which is quite a feat for something that’s not sweetened! It literally reminds me of those butterscotch disc candies or Butter Rum Lifesavers. I can also taste the rooibos just a bit, but it just adds more dimension to an already amazing flavor. Delish, thanks so much everyone for the recommendations! :)

Flavors: Butterscotch, Candy, Caramel, Rooibos, Rum

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Tealizzy

Yay! You like it!

Dinosara

I liked this one before I realized I couldn’t drink rooibos anymore.

Cameron B.

Why can’t you drink rooibos? :(

Dinosara

It gives me a weird scratchy feeling in the back of my throat… not very pleasant.

Cameron B.

Aw… I’ve heard people describe that before. I’m sorry. :(

Kittenna

Dinosara – I get that too, sometimes. It’s incredibly unpleasant. Doesn’t seem to happen with all of them, and I don’t know why.

Dinosara

Yeah, and I don’t like the flavor of rooibos enough to find ones that don’t do it, so I just avoid all rooibos. Not too much of a hardship for me. :)