Caramel & Rum

Butterscotch, Candy, Caramel, Rooibos, Rum, Nutty, Sweet, Honey, Smooth
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Devilish

From Lupicia

Sweet caramel-flavored rooibos tea and honeybush are accented with aromatic rum.

About Lupicia View company

So, I’m revising my previous score of 80 for this tea. I don’t know if I was just really feeling this tea at the time, or what, but the more I drink it, the less in love with it I am. Its just a bit too sweet for me. It tastes good, but the sweetness gets to me after awhile I’m finding. It’s like that first bite of really dense chocolate fudge. You bite into it and it’s sweet and yummy. But get about three bites in, and all the sudden you don’t want it anymore. It stops being yummy and becomes a bit of a burden. Anyway, that’s how I feel about this tea lately. I guess tastes really do change!

For more taste related notes, see previous post.

I’ve been missing out!! I just attempted the stovetop method using Caramel & Rum by Lupicia per instructions from Tealizzy and YUM!! Used a little brown sugar too. This is definitely a wonderful alternative to hot cocoa and just as comforting. For me, this might be THE way to enjoy rooibos teas as I’m not altogether that fond of them steeped with water. Thank you, Tealizzy!

The smell of this tea is divine. It reminds me of a salted caramel sauce used to drizzle over ice cream. It smells very sweet, but the taste is not overwhelming. Definitely a dessert tea.

I got this as the sample with the October 2012 mailer. Because I also ordered a package that month, I got a second newsletter/sample. My boyfriend and I drank them tonight.
Before brewing it smells really rummy, and brewed it smells/tastes overwhelmingly rummy. I think. I don’t drink alcohol, so I guess I don’t really know what rum tastes like, I’m just going off of my imagination… and my boyfriend says that no, it doesn’t taste like rum.
The rooibos flavor is hidden beneath the other flavors.
It does really taste like a butterscotch candy. I really don’t like butterscotch, so I didn’t care for this tea. My boyfriend loved it though, and he’s not particularly into tea, so that is bumping up the rating for me.

Strong caramel and rum flavors and rooibus itself very faint, almost non existent. Makes a perfect night time dessert with a bit of milk.

Woo, my Lupicia Cyber Monday order finally arrived! I couldn’t have been more excited. In fact, I even took pictures… blush

Anyway, after putting all of the holiday teas in my cart, I need a couple more things to reach the $60 free shipping threshold, and this was one of those things. It’s been recommended to me by several people and I’ve been loving rooibos lately, so it seemed like a good fit (I also got Pineapple Barley!). Wow, the dry scent was so powerful when I opened the package, and very alcoholic. It smelled like Butter Rum Lifesavers with actual rum in them. I had the boyfriend smell it and he immediately wanted to know if I was currently making some. :P

Yum, this tea tastes like butterscotch, which is quite a feat for something that’s not sweetened! It literally reminds me of those butterscotch disc candies or Butter Rum Lifesavers. I can also taste the rooibos just a bit, but it just adds more dimension to an already amazing flavor. Delish, thanks so much everyone for the recommendations! :)

Flavors: Butterscotch, Candy, Caramel, Rooibos, Rum

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Tealizzy

Yay! You like it!

Dinosara

I liked this one before I realized I couldn’t drink rooibos anymore.

Cameron B.

Why can’t you drink rooibos? :(

Dinosara

It gives me a weird scratchy feeling in the back of my throat… not very pleasant.

Cameron B.

Aw… I’ve heard people describe that before. I’m sorry. :(

Kittenna

Dinosara – I get that too, sometimes. It’s incredibly unpleasant. Doesn’t seem to happen with all of them, and I don’t know why.

Dinosara

Yeah, and I don’t like the flavor of rooibos enough to find ones that don’t do it, so I just avoid all rooibos. Not too much of a hardship for me. :)

The loose tea smells incredibly sweet, with some of my friends describing it as having “butterscotch”, “caramel”, and “nutty” aromas. Tastes less sweet than it smells, and is quite refreshing. Makes for an EXCELLENT iced/milk tea.

Flavors: Butterscotch, Caramel, Nutty, Rooibos, Rum, Sweet

Boiling 7 min, 0 sec 4 tsp 32 OZ / 946 ML

This smells insane!! Opening the bag my nose is assaulted with the scent of butterscotch heavily laden with rum! Its the perfect after dinner drink for me as its a rooibos tea so no caffeine and the flavor is sweet enough that this tea acts as my desert! Defiantly going on my repurchase list for when I’m in San Fransisco next!

Tealizzy

Ya, I love this one!

Eh, this is okay. It has a subtle creamy rum taste, but it also has a bit of that woodsy rooibos taste. The rooibos was over powering when I tried it straight, but it becomes much more pleasant when I add a little cream and sugar. At first the taste of the cream took over, but as I kept sipping the caramel rum taste crept out. It isn’t bad, it is just really underwhelming for what I have come to expect from Lupicia.

All rooibos is blergh. The ones I’ve tried anyway.

And yet, I’m actually enjoying this quite a bit tonight. The smell of the dry leaf is insanely delicious. And it doesn’t disappoint when brewed. Exactly like the name.

But like all rooibos, I cannot drink this cold or warm. It has to be hot. Very hot. Otherwise the taste goes weird and my tummy feels strange. I’m still impressed with this though; Lupicia has managed to make a rooibos blend that I’ll actually probably rebuy in the future.

Boiling 4 min, 45 sec 2 tsp 14 OZ / 400 ML
Kirkoneill1988

rooibos tastes like brandy to me :(