Lapsang Souchong

Tobacco
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma
Boiling 2 min, 45 sec 7 g 12 oz / 368 ml

• “My 4th tea from The Book of Tea (I haven't written about the 3rd one yet!). I have had Lapsang Souchong before but none of those previous cups had left a lasting impression. But I guess I will...” Read full tasting note
    larukucafe 318 tasting notes
  • “I really don't like smokey teas, and i never have, but something possesed me to try this one. Right when the package is opened, the smokey smell attacks your senses. I actually really like how this...” Read full tasting note
    Mad_Alyss_14 24 tasting notes
  • “One of my new favorites, lapsang souchong. Loose leaf this time, although at one point I did have bagged from Lupicia also so I could take it to work, which made all my coworkers walk around...” Read full tasting note
    peggiebennett 125 tasting notes
  • “This is what you might call a Man's Tea. It taste like gunpowder with that deep almost cigar like smokiness. The nose is so deep and it totally reminds me of hunting in the winters of the deep...” Read full tasting note
    DocRock 13 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Smoked black tea produced in Fujian province. Its unique smoky flavor is very popular in Europe.

About Lupicia View company

My 4th tea from The Book of Tea (I haven’t written about the 3rd one yet!). I have had Lapsang Souchong before but none of those previous cups had left a lasting impression. But I guess I will never forget about this tea because it’s very, very smoky. It should really be used in a tea-tasting session to demonstrate the definition of smokiness! When I opened the packet and took out the tea bag, I smelled… bacon. Yeah I really mean it, it’s BACON!

I brewed the tea in a lidded cup. As soon as I lifted the lid, I was greeted by a whiff of campfire smoke – at least that was what I thought. The smokiness was powerful both in the aroma and the liquor. Perhaps because of the association with bacon, this tea tasted kinda savoury to me. It had an unmistakeably salty aftertaste, which I didn’t exactly enjoy but found really interesting.

I won’t order or buy this tea, but I am glad that I had it as it has taken me to another dimension of tea! :)

I really don’t like smokey teas, and i never have, but something possesed me to try this one. Right when the package is opened, the smokey smell attacks your senses. I actually really like how this tea smells, it reminds me of someone bbq-ing outside in their backyard :) The taste can be a bit overwhelming but the after taste is quite delightful! it makes me feel like i just ate some blackened chicken, which made my tummy happy for a little bit until it realized it was being fooled. I think if you’re willing to try a smokey tea try this one first, because other smokey teas wont be as powerful as this one and then you can get a better appreciation for the other ones lol
Something i tried with this tea is using it as a marinade for chicken if you can’t grill it. Brew the tea and bring it down to room temp. Add it to the chicken and what ever other seasoning you’d like and marinade for a day. The chicken absorbed the flavor pretty well! So if you don’t end up liking to drink the tea straight, at least it won’t go to waste :)

One of my new favorites, lapsang souchong. Loose leaf this time, although at one point I did have bagged from Lupicia also so I could take it to work, which made all my coworkers walk around asking if anyone else smelled smoke. That made me giggle all day!
Anyway, a beautiful black tea with that wonderful smoky scent. You can taste the smoke but there’s a note of sweetness there also. I have had this tea with a little sugar before and that tones down the smokiness. Clean tasting, I think mild for a black tea, and I love this for a winter day.

This is what you might call a Man’s Tea. It taste like gunpowder with that deep almost cigar like smokiness. The nose is so deep and it totally reminds me of hunting in the winters of the deep forrest of the East Coast. I absolutely love this tea.

I have to say, when I first set foot inside Lupicia, I was sad. A store like that really makes me worry for tea going the way of coffee. But this isn’t about the store, it’s about the tea.

This lapsang souchong was really enjoyable. When I first discovered this tea at a cafe back home, I immediately fell in love with its highly recognizable aroma. I make this tea on special occasions, for people who I really care about. Partly because it’s really good, partly because it’s pretty expensive.

Upon opening the container, you really get a blast of that smokey scent. I was astounded by how aromatic all Lupicia’s teas were while I was in the store; almost too aromatic, like they were somehow altered. I knew this one would be a good takeaway, because I knew it was supposed to be this strong.

When steeping, I go shorter than a usual steeping, varying from 2-4 minutes. At a shorter time, you really get the essence and stand alone of that smokey scent. It almost feels like drinking a smokey campfire. When kept on a little longer, say 3 or 4 mins, it picks up an earthy flavor as well, a damp woody taste that makes you feel like you’re in the dirt of Fujian. All around, a very enjoyable tea.

Right when I opened the bag, my nose was assaulted by an almost bacon/jerky-like smell, possibly like a cigar. Odd, but seems like it’d be good if you’re in the right mood. I steeped it with milk (hence the 5-minute steep time) as per the instructions on the bag.

I’m actually a little scared to try this because of the intense aroma.

Tastes a little like I’m drinking a cigar. Maybe if I sweeten it… Okay, I added some honey.

And I’m still underwhelmed. It might be good for people who like smoky teas, but this one’s not for me.

Flavors: Tobacco

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

The Leaf: all black, twisted and curled, with a mix of loose stems. The scent is very strong and, of course, smokey. The smell is too concentrated and overpowering; it smells like a forest fire.

The Brew: The liquor is surprisingly light-pale golden brown. The aroma is definitively smokey, but the harsh edge from the leaf has been cut and is at a good level of intensity. Still, the smell is a bit off in that it has almost a burnt rubber character to it. The taste is not bad but flat, with just a basic smokiness to it. The mouthfeel is dry and the aftertaste is light and fleeting.

I drink all of my teas cold.

200 °F / 93 °C 2 min, 0 sec 7 g 17 OZ / 500 ML
donkeytiara

sometimes I get that same burned rubber smell off of black tea with vanilla flavoring in it…. puts me off straight away. Same with smoke like a “forest fire”….I live in a fire zone and teas like that give my tongue PTSD!

Don’t ask me how the leafs of lapsong are bestowed with that souchong smokiness, but I will attest to indulging my senses fully through drink this tea by Lupicha. There you sit by the teapot and easy wafting smoke appears to be made present by this loose leaf brew. And while you are there the further floodgates open this rich intoxicating smelly tea to your taste buds and it’s not really drinkable three times back to back. It’s still my absolute go to tea during the winter however, so I rate it in high 80s